Fire34609

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Range Rover TD6 HSE, 2020 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
There is no facility for the charger to recognize what vehicle is connected - this is a limitation of the charger plug (the communication protocol over the plug specifically).
Interesting, can not understand why the option is even there. I would think the vehicle info would transmit to the charger, since it knows battery data about car already. Thanks..
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the J-1772 protocol for EV charging - which is what you’re using when you are not using Fast Charging - has _NO_ data about the vehicle or battery - it’s brutally simple and not very forward thinking…there is no mechanism in the L1/L2 AC charging system to identify the vehicle.

maybe one day there will be adoption of a newer protocol - but for now nothing.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is no facility for the charger to recognize what vehicle is connected - this is a limitation of the charger plug (the communication protocol over the plug specifically).
One addition - with Power Line Communication (PLC) between the car and PMCC, exchange of any data is technically possible, however while I DID have PLC enabled between the car and PMCC it doesn't seem to be implemented. (and if you didn't know, disabling PLC is one of the recommended steps in the TSB to prevent 12V battery death)

ISO 15118 also provides a protocol for data exchange over the J1772 connector, but again that does not seem to be implemented in the PMCC.

Maybe it only turns one or both of these on if there is a Porsche Energy Manager in use. I know there are a couple of folks on the forum with PEM and PMCC - can one of you advise if your PMCC shows your connected vehicle by VIN?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m sure there is a standard for data via J-1772 - and that’s the nice thing about standards there are so many to choose from…

the problem I see with J-1772 at this point in time is that while new-fancy EVSE may support new and emerging standards - there are sooooo many “dumb” J-1772 EVSE’s that’s it’s almost not worth it....

I do however look forward to plug & charger being a thing for the CCS community like Tesla Superchargers have always works this way - it really does enhance vehicle ownership and the charging experience.

apps are great, but ultimately I find handling the CCS cable so cumbersome and attempting to deal with my phone at the same time is simply a terrible design - plug & charge for the win.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
One addition - with Power Line Communication (PLC) between the car and PMCC, exchange of any data is technically possible, however while I DID have PLC enabled between the car and PMCC it doesn't seem to be implemented. (and if you didn't know, disabling PLC is one of the recommended steps in the TSB to prevent 12V battery death)

ISO 15118 also provides a protocol for data exchange over the J1772 connector, but again that does not seem to be implemented in the PMCC.

Maybe it only turns one or both of these on if there is a Porsche Energy Manager in use. I know there are a couple of folks on the forum with PEM and PMCC - can one of you advise if your PMCC shows your connected vehicle by VIN?
In the PMCC web application, there seem to be separate settings for disabling/enabling PLC into the charger ("Powerline Communication") and for disabling/enabling PLC between the charger and the car ("PLC connection to the vehicle"). I disabled the first one but left the second one enabled, assuming that the charger and the car need to recognize each other somehow. Wrong?

Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? PLC

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
In the PMCC web application, there seem to be separate settings for disabling/enabling PLC into the charger ("Powerline Communication") and for disabling/enabling PLC between the charger and the car ("PLC connection to the vehicle"). I disabled the first one but left the second one enabled, assuming that the charger and the car need to recognize each other somehow. Wrong?

PLC.jpg
In Europe we can have PLC connection between the PMCC and the Home Energy Manager. That way the power the car gets is monitored depending on how much power is available without blowing a fuse. What reason there is for the car to have the PLC connection to the charger I have no idea. Could be reserved for some future updates so that you can distinguish between different cars using the charger. It seems to be in the menu of the PMCC but no idea how to activate that.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In Europe we can have PLC connection between the PMCC and the Home Energy Manager. That way the power the car gets is monitored depending on how much power is available without blowing a fuse. What reason there is for the car to have the PLC connection to the charger I have no idea. Could be reserved for some future updates so that you can distinguish between different cars using the charger. It seems to be in the menu of the PMCC but no idea how to activate that.
So, the warning to disconnect PLC to minimize the risk of 12V issues, would that be for the home-to-charger PLC or for the charger-to-car PLC, you think?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
A couple of things:

1. Have you looked the PMCC built in website which has various features not accessible via My Porsche or the Connect App? Connection is via the PMCC hotspot (to your phone) or on WiFi via your PC or other device on the same network. There are 2 user accounts (Home and Customer Service) and the passwords are on the letter that was originally attached to your PMCC. IP address of your PMCC is available from the Settings, Network, Network Information menu.

2. There is an option to configure VIN details either for Private or Group access.

3. The option for Plug and Share needs to be enabled on PCM (may not be available in MY20 cars).

In theory, when you connect your PMCC for charging then the handshake should be performed and a sync made with your VIN (or VINs).

I had this working once and the PMCC correctly displayed my vehicle / VIN and was captured in the charging data.

For some reason this appears to have stopped working but I've not spent the time troubleshooting.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

PLC.jpg
Wrong. Do not use PLC unless you have no WiFi. One is a substitute for the other.

Risk of 12V drain issue if PLC enabled and charger left connected.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A couple of things:

1. Have you looked the PMCC built in website which has various features not accessible via My Porsche or the Connect App? Connection is via the PMCC hotspot (to your phone) or on WiFi via your PC or other device on the same network. There are 2 user accounts (Home and Customer Service) and the passwords are on the letter that was originally attached to your PMCC. IP address of your PMCC is available from the Settings, Network, Network Information menu.

2. There is an option to configure VIN details either for Private or Group access.

3. The option for Plug and Share needs to be enabled on PCM (may not be available in MY20 cars).

In theory, when you connect your PMCC for charging then the handshake should be performed and a sync made with your VIN (or VINs).

I had this working once and the PMCC correctly displayed my vehicle / VIN and was captured in the charging data.

For some reason this appears to have stopped working but I've not spent the time troubleshooting.
#1 - yes I have - I've logged in as both
#2 - not that I have found on my PMCC
#3 - yeah I have a MY'2020 vehicle - so none of this appears supported or well documented.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wrong. Do not use PLC unless you have no WiFi. One is a substitute for the other.

Thanks. I will switch the second one off as well. I wrongly assumed that the handshake between car and charger happened via this car-to-charger PLC.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, the warning to disconnect PLC to minimize the risk of 12V issues, would that be for the home-to-charger PLC or for the charger-to-car PLC, you think?
I would have thought that it is for the Vehicle to PMCC? I looked at the information in the TSB as below.
Porsche Taycan PMCC electricity usage? E80B8BC7-2634-42DD-BD03-B2567BF74FCF

Hope this helps.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

I have been using PLC to HEM and also WiFi from charger etc to have all data in MyPorsche quite successfully. But I have no connection with the car PLC. I also do not have any gateway from the PLC to the internet.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
J1772 defines a rudimentary communication protocol. The EVSE communicates the charging current it is able to supply by modifying the pulse width on a 1 KHz pilot signal. The vehicle communicates back one of 5 states by changing the resistance on this pilot signal. The EVSE can sense that resistance by measuring the voltage drop. Those states include connected/idle (waiting), charging, charging complete, and error.

J1772 does not provide any way for the vehicle to communicate a VIN or even a manufacturer to the EVSE. So anyone who has seen the PMCC report their VIN has some other communication going on.

ISO15118 defines data exchange that rides on top of some of these signals (I don't know the technical details how but it might work very similar to PLC). Theoretically any data could be exchanged. Maybe ISO15118 is just the protocol but PLC is the physical connection...? There is plenty of data to suggest the car supports ISO15118.

IIRC, the PMCC allows you to use PLC between the PMCC and a home PLC network (that would include the PEM but doesn't have to), and use the PMCC as a WiFi hotspot. Maybe the car would recognize the PMCC's WiFi hotspot - but I've never tried this. You can't enable the PMCC's WiFi hotspot while using WiFi to connect the PMC to your home network.
Sponsored