mralihaider

First Name
ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
hello everyone, i am new to this forum, i have a doubt about electricity.
i am looking forward to make an order for a new Porsche taycan in carmine red.
the idea of owning such a vehicle is amazing, no service, looks good, just charge and drive.
in here in Muscat public direct current chargers basically do not exist,
this is why i am planning to charge at home.
in here the electricity is British standard in voltage and in plugs and sockets.
Porsche taycan charge at home at 22 kilo watt hour with alternating current 3 phase.
that means 366 watt per minute, and 6 watts per second. correct ??
but my main question is that: the rating of home electric sockets itself,
and the amount of electricity drawn from a home electric socket itself,
is it per hour, per minute, or per second ? that makes a lot of difference.
sorry if this question sound elementary or silly, no shame in learning.
another important question: from your personal experience do home mobile charging connect
heat when you touch it like a laptop charger does knowing it draws high amount of energy.
thank you, goodbye.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ask a qualified electrician to install your charging equipment (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) in your home to ensure no overloading occurs.

Standard car has a 11kW AC onboard charger and the car is supplied with a 9.6kW EVSE.

In Muscat the standard may be different, if so what is it?

These items can be upgraded to 22kW AC onboard charger and the EVSE to 22kW (Porsche Mobile Charger Connect).

If you have the standard 11kW EVSE (Porsche Mobile Charger Plus) then you can use a full 3 phase electrical supply to charge your car at around 9.6kW.

If not and you have a single phase supply then you can charge at 7.4kW which is perfect for overnight charging.

To charge faster then you'll need to have either the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect to charge at 11kW and / or the 22kW AC onboard charger to charge at the max 19.6kW.

Do not charge using your UK 3 pin plug as this will be really slow and will literally take days. This is purely for emergencies when away from home and you take your EVSE with you to a place where you have no other type of supply connection.

To protect your home supply from over loading then you can install the Porsche Home Energy Manager (HEM) which will balance the load when charging.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Porsche taycan charge at home at 22 kilo watt hour with alternating current 3 phase.
Charging rates are in kW (power).

Battery capacity is in kWh (energy).

Receptacles (electric sockets) [and really almost all current carrying devices- wire, breakers, inverters, etc] typically list a maximum volts and amps. Volts usually affects insulation and amps usually affect conductor size (and heat dissipation).

For single phase:
power (kW) = volts x amps

For 3-phase
power (kW) = volts x amps x 1.73

And then energy:
energy (kWh) = power (kW) * hours

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
hello everyone, i am new to this forum, i have a doubt about electricity.
i am looking forward to make an order for a new Porsche taycan in carmine red.
the idea of owning such a vehicle is amazing, no service, looks good, just charge and drive.
in here in Muscat public direct current chargers basically do not exist,
this is why i am planning to charge at home.
in here the electricity is British standard in voltage and in plugs and sockets.
sorry if this question sound elementary or silly, no shame in learning.
another important question: from your personal experience do home mobile charging connect
heat when you touch it like a laptop charger does knowing it draws high amount of energy.
thank you, goodbye.
As you say Muscat has UK standard plugs and sockets the supplied adapter, plugged into a standard socket will give no more than 3kW which means charging around 80kWh of battery will take around 80/3 = around 26 hours to completely charge from flat.

If your house is single phase as most are here in the UK you can get a high power socket or custom charge point which will give you around 7.4 kW so now more like 11 hours to fully charge.
This is what I and most UK people have and since I almost never start charging with the battery flat and don't need a full charge often overnight charging is sufficient all the time.

If your house has 3 phase it is possible to get a charge point for 11 kW and if you have 3 400V phases 22kW is possible but you need the 22kW optional charger fitted to the car.

Whatever happens you will need an electrician to do the proper installation.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
With a 7.4kw home EVSE charge point, you can charge from about 50% to 80% (recommended level) in about 4 hours.

In the UK a lot of people are with an electricity supplier who offers cheap rate electricity between 00.30-04.30am.

In this case you can always be charging (abc) at the cheaper rate if you top up at 50%.

Its a worthwhile saving as it's about 1/3 the cost.

Not sure if you have similar deals in Muscat?
Sponsored