David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Please see updated Plan post #14

I'll be doing an un-official scenic drive on June 26th, 2021

the basic route is: Salinas to King City, King City to Bitterwater, Bitterwater to Pinnacles, Pinnacles to Gilroy - https://goo.gl/maps/wShrCurvjbvZGFfW6

Porsche Taycan [POLL] - [3rd Norcal Taycan social] - June 26th, 2021 - A pleasant summer drive image

the loop is 127 miles - and we'll start at some EA stations
2 hours 24 minutes according to google maps - I would budget a solid 4 hours from start to finish

the highlight of this trip is route 25 (north or south) - for those that haven't done it - it's fantastic - open road, gorgeous scenery and some places where you might be able to stretch your Taycan's legs.

I'll be updating this thread with data and some pictures from my recon - I'll plan some stops along the way.

THIS IS NOT AN EVENT - NO SERVICES WILL BE PROVIDED - YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN FOR EV CHARGING, BREAKDOWNS - This is a loosely organized "drive" - you are welcome to follow the group or go on your own - there is NO organization - other than there will be at least me as another Taycan owner making this drive…

the Beginning and End will be at EA stations - but given we're all Taycan owners we may overwhelm the chargers and have to co-operate with charging stall access - please plan appropriately for your EV charging needs, and be prepared to wait if you need to charge to return home…

I'm going to be driving this route on June 26th, 2021

Details

8:00 am - Arrive @ Salinas EA or Gilroy EA (TBD - will decide closer to actual date)
people coming from a farther distance may want to arrive earlier to get some charge
8:45 am [sharp] - first car leaves EA stations to begin drive
11:45 pm -12:45 pm [fuzzy] - arrive at EA Station at other end (Salinas or Gilroy depending on where we started)
Lunch @ various choices near the EA Station while our car charge

I'll be posting more details but it would be great to get some Taycan's and do a nice scenic drive along this route - please bring food, water, sun screen and any supplies you may require to make the drive comfortable. Once you're on route 25 there are few if any "short cuts" so you are either continuing the trip or turning back…

weather should be great, scenery should be awesome, and sharing our cars will be fun…

I'm going to suggest some "stops" along the way - and we'll take breaks for 10-15 min along the way to get out - enjoy the view - stretch our legs and just relax and take it all in.

I AM REQUESTING ANYONE WITH A DRONE TO BRING AND PROVIDE SOME AERIAL VIDEO FROM SOME OF OUR STOPS…I'll also try and take some pictures - the group will be request to be patient for the group Drone Photo/Video at some mid point along the drive…you are of course welcome to continue on your own - but it might be fun to get a big group photo/video.

Please provide "interest" by posting below - I'd like a rough count - if the count gets "too big" we'll discuss perhaps two groups doing the loop in opposite directions - if that's the case - I'd request another volunteer to loosely organize the other group at the alternate starting location.

AGAIN: This is NOT an organized event - and we will proceed with or with out you-o and you can proceed with or with out us - but I think it would be cool to have a whole bunch of Taycan enjoy'ing a legal drive through some of the most scenic country California has to offer - it's not a bad way to spend the day!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm looking for at least 1 (2 volunteers) to do a "recon" trip with me - scounting route, finding spots, and measuring time, distance and battery - I have Turbo with Mission-E wheels - a 4S with some different wheels so we can provide "data" about battery consumption would be great to provide to the group prior the drive.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I AM REQUESTING ANYONE WITH A DRONE TO BRING AND PROVIDE SOME AERIAL VIDEO FROM SOME OF OUR STOPS…I'll also try and take some pictures - the group will be request to be patient for the group Drone Photo/Video at some mid point along the drive…you are of course welcome to continue on your own - but it might be fun to get a big group photo/video.
just calling this out!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am happy to do some recon with you
I missed the PCA trip which did something similar, but I think they went from king city to carmel via the mountains.
It seems that the King City shopping center (a good place for lunch?) has a bunch of 50kw (non-EA) chargers also.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am happy to do some recon with you
I missed the PCA trip which did something similar, but I think they went from king city to carmel via the mountains.
It seems that the King City shopping center (a good place for lunch?) has a bunch of 50kw (non-EA) chargers also.
PM sent…

kwanyu

First Name
Kwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Audi Q7, M235 conv., Z4
Country flag
I live in San Jose area and have a 4S. I might be able to join you for the scouting run if it's 5/15 or 5/16.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm still looking forward to this - will be doing a recon/dry-run soon - will report Battery Usage starting location and results from the "dry run" trip soon…stay tuned - if anyone wants to join I have one more sport for the recon trip next week May 24-28th…we'll do early morning - week days…PM me if you'd like to join

TO BE CLEAR: it's a free country and anyone can do this trip with or with out me :) - but doing it together offers moral support and group backup.

BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
Dave,

I really wanted to do this trip on the 26th, but I will be returning from a 14 day vacation that day. I may make the trip on my own, however, when I feel like going for an extended drive.

Did you ever do the "recon" trip?

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I will join this.
I have to be in Hayward before 2 so might not be able to get lunch (depending on time)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Team - I’m still planning to do this next week

I’m doing Recon today - will have waypoints, distances and battery % consumption from dry run today

if anyone wants to meet me for recon - I’m going to be charging @ EA Salinas around 8:45 am’ish today sunday June 20th - from salinas I’m heading south to scope out the route…

I’ll have pictures and data later today!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Summary from Recon Trip

Route Driven
Start - Salinas EA Chargers​
King City - ChargePoint Chargers​
Bitter Water Intersection​
Hwy 25 North​
Pinacles National Park Entrance​
Hollister Target ChargePoint Chargers​
End - Gilroy Outlets EA Chargers​
Distance - 129 miles
Travel Time - 2:43 minutes
Battery % Used - 94% - 35% - 59% Battery used - 60% battery required to make the trip.

more details and a detailed list of waypoints and proposed agenda/schedule in a bit - but those are the details.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here is a 1:21 min video of the "dry run" I did June 20th, 2021

2:43 minute drive - 129 miles - 59% battery used.

Porsche Taycan [POLL] - [3rd Norcal Taycan social] - June 26th, 2021 - A pleasant summer drive IMG_2646

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok everyone here is the plan:

Summary - Depart 9:15 am from Salinas EA Chargers!!!!
  • Depart the Salinas EA Charging Stations (4 stalls) by 9:15 am on Saturday June 26th, 2021
    • please arrive much earlier than that for parking lot chat and charging so we all can leave with > 65% SOC to make the trip
      • I plan to arrive quite early to charge - and we'll just have to wait until 9:15 departure time
    • I will request people to vacate charging stalls to allow those with lower battery SOC more time to charge - but I can not enforce this
    • please charge to 100% the night before so you arrive @ Salinas EA chargers with more battery
    • 1800 N Main St, Salinas, CA 93906
  • Arrive @ Gilroy EA Charging Stations (8 stalls) 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours later
  • Make some stops I've scoped out along the way for photo ops and regroupings
  • If things go to plan we should arrive at the EA Charging stations no later than 1 pm
  • In my dry run the distance was 129 miles - and I used 60% SOC for the trip - normal model driving - AC on - obey'ing speed limits.
  • You will need at least 65% SOC to make the trip!!! Therefore you will need to arrive at Salinas early enough to charge - and probably a little earlier since there are only 4 EA charging stalls - only 3 of which were working Sunday!! Plan ahead!
Goals of this trip:
  • get out of the house and drive our Taycan's on some lovely California Backroads
  • not a race, no illegal driving
  • stick together so we have some photo ops
    • (I think a drone is coming - I scoped out some places where we can potentially park for some awesome Ariel footage of our group)
  • have a fun pace and avoid congestion (where we can)
Detailed Agenda Route
  • Stage 1 - approximate time 1 hour driving - 18% battery used on dry run
    • Depart: Salinas EA Charging Stations @ 9:15 am - 1800 N Main St, Salinas, CA 93906
    • Drive via Back roads (Old Stage Rd) to Gonzales
    • Proceed through Gonzales to 101 south - drive 101 South from Gonzales to King City
    • Regrouping stop #1- Chargepoint Chargers - 560 Canal St, Unit A, King City, CA 93930 - 3x62 kW ChargePoint Chargers
      • charge if necessary - but 62 kW we aren't going to get very much
    • bio-break and chatting for 10-20 min
  • Stage 2 - 1 hour to 1:45 depending on stops for photos & drone video - 33% Battery Used
    • Depart King City - East to Bitter Water
    • Proceed East to Hwy 25
    • Mile 66 from Salinas - pull off for possible group drone shot - 10-20 min stop?
    • Mile 67.3 - encounter Hwy 25 - turn left to go north
    • Hwy 25 - enjoy the scenery and no congestion - proceed as a fleet of Taycan's an enjoy the scenery
    • Potential stops for photos and enjoying the scenery: Mile 78 & 81.5 - drone shots? group decision on time - any pull of to the side of the road will take 10-20 minutes
    • Mile 81.5 - Pinnicles National Park Entrance - quick stop
    • Mile 110 - arrive Target Parking lot Hollister, CA - 1790 Airline Hwy, Hollister, CA 95023
      • 3 62 kW Chargepoint Stations
      • Regrouping stop #2 - 10-20 min bio-break and parking lot chat
  • Stage 3 - 30 minutes from Target to EA Stations in Gilroy - 20 miles - 8% Battery Used
    • Depart Hollister, CA
    • Goal is the 8 Stall EA Charging stop in Gilroy, CA
    • Hwy 25 North - to 101 North - exit Leavesley Road
    • 681 Leavesley Rd, Gilroy, CA 95020
    • Arrive & Charge our Taycan - grab some lunch from near by fast food
    • Exchange contact information so we can share video and photos from the trip!!!
    • 101 North may be congested!!! I can't control that.
Some thoughts in No Particular order - please read
  • this not a race or a rally!! We will obey all traffic/road laws.
  • no services are being provided as part of this activity - other than other Taycan owners will be making the drive on approximately the same route - so it should be fun to have a group of Taycan's Making the same trip
  • this is not an organized trip - you do not have to stay with the group - but it might be funner if you do
  • no services will be provided - and you might get lost
  • please arrive early enough to make sure you have at least 65% SOC on your Taycan before we depart at 9:15 am!!! There are four stalls in Salinas - and it might take 20 minutes to get you above 65% SOC
  • We are driving back roads for the "fun" of it - these have pot holes and generally have mixed to awful road conditions - please drive appropriately and be aware of road hazards - there is nothing off road - this is is NOT freeway driving - normal wear & tear may apply
  • we may have to change the route "on the fly" based on conditions, traffic, circumstances outside our control
  • there is _NO_ cell coverage east of King City or on Hwy 25 until we reach the southern end of Hollister - plan appropriately and have your music downloaded
  • I'm hoping to stop in 2 or 3 places for photo ops w/drone - this will take time and effort - but I think we'll all enjoy the results - but none of this is mandatory
  • no expenses will be covered - this is not an organized or commercial event.
  • co-operation will be key at the chargers.
  • there should be _NO_ need to charge along the way if we all leave with 65% SOC or more
  • we will be driving on public highways - all road/traffic laws will be obey'd - this is _NOT_ a cannon ball run or an opportunity to "test" your Taycan's limits
    • it would also be foolish - these are two lane roads in the middle of nowhere with limited cell phone coverage - any breakdowns will be costly in terms of time and delay and pain and suffering
  • the backroads out of Salinas are mostly for the novelty factor - the visuals and scenery really gets better east of King City and Hwy 25 - I think we'll all enjoy the trip - but given time/distance/range limitations this is a pretty good trip on roads you may or may not have driven
  • I'm planning 2 "re-grouping" stops at ChargePoint Chargers (62 kW) - these are _NOT_ charging stops - but are a chance for everyone to regroup and have a potential bio break - charging can be done, but should be un-necessary as long as we all leave with > 65% SOC
  • I'm not responsible for the weather!!!
  • I'm not responsible for traffic!!!!
  • I'm not responsible for fast chargers not working!!!
  • I'm not responsible for mechanical issues!!!
  • nothing about this trip is mandatory
  • the speed limits will be quite slow in some places
  • you may get separated from the group - I've built in two "regrouping" stops - so just proceed
  • I'm providing a detailed route map as part of this posting - so you can recreated this fabulous trip on your own.
  • bring water and & snacks!!! it's going to be hot - make sure to bring water!!!
  • it's summer, it's hot, and it's California on backroads - your Taycan will destroy many many many many bugs - if this will make you upset you may want to reconsider this trip - there will be many many many bug samples on your windshield and front bumper!!!
I have uploaded a google maps document that has the detailed route - this is my plan - but we may have to change on the fly. The best part of the drive is the back half - but we'll be out weather should be nice - and we'll be driving Taycan's!!

Questions and comments are welcome!

Attachments

Last edited:

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S6, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I initially responded as a "maybe." I regret I will not be able to join you. Dave, kudos to you for organizing this event. I look forward to seeing the photos.
Sponsored