Porsche AVAS Sound - Taycan

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Hi all - bit baffled by electric sport sound. I think I need the car to make some noise because of the nature of the roads where I live - ie just to warn people. Don’t fancy paying for the optional sound upgrade because it seems a bit of a rip frankly.

Does anyone have a clip of what noise (if any) a 4S makes “as standard” at low speeds. Can it be heard outside the car?
Sponsored

FutureEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
Country flag
I think EVs are probably pretty silent < 10mph, but once you start going over that I'd say that tyre noise is going to take over from most engines. Small cars are pretty quiet nowadays.

I love the sport sound, it's top of my tick list!

Beardo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BluTack 4S CT
Country flag
All EVs now have to make a synthesised noise in addition to what the motors make at low speed by law, I think its <15mph or something like that for the reasons you stated. I've got a Tesla from 2017 and its silent and does take people by surprise quite often in carp parks etc.

The Sport sound option is in addition to that.

OP
OP

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Thanks guys. I think I'm trying to established what the synthesized sound is like without the optional sport sounds mp3 file. I mean, there's a mandatory noise and I am wondering if it's terrible like a beeping or something. When I undertook my test drive, I couldn't check because that car had the optional noise instead.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
I mean, there's a mandatory noise and I am wondering if it's terrible like a beeping or something.
It's definitely not that. I have the sport sound but I expect that when it's turned off the car sounds the same as if it weren't equipped. My car sounds like a computer simulation of an idling ICE vehicle.

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
The Sports sound option only creates noises *inside* the car, not outside.
Not true. The electric sports sound creates inside and outside the artificial sound.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
You are wrong.
Sports sound comes from additional speakers that are installed outside (front and back).

For example:

Last edited:

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just to keep this on topic, the OP isn't asking about sport sound. They are asking what the standard 'pedestrian awareness sound' that's mandatory sounds like. Unfortunately, I don't take delivery of mine for another week, otherwise I'd provide some kind of useful feedback.

Reactions: Dee
OP
OP

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
LOL that's hilarious.

Ok, well that answers what the sport sound gives you.

Still a bit unclear what the car sounds like without it but frankly that sounded so amusing, I might get it now. FFS another option on the list...

OP
OP

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Just to keep this on topic, the OP isn't asking about sport sound. They are asking what the standard 'pedestrian awareness sound' that's mandatory sounds like. Unfortunately, I don't take delivery of mine for another week, otherwise I'd provide some kind of useful feedback.

AND YES THANK YOU SIR. THIS IS PRECISELY MY QUESTION. As amusing as that video of the sport sound was, I wondered what the car sounded like (including externally) without it. The only thing that I've really learnt here is that the sport sound isn't just an mp3 track for £350 because it has hardware too.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
AND YES THANK YOU SIR. THIS IS PRECISELY MY QUESTION. As amusing as that video of the sport sound was, I wondered what the car sounded like (including externally) without it. The only thing that I've really learnt here is that the sport sound isn't just an mp3 track for £350 because it has hardware too.
Correct. It's actually quite complicated to install too. I looked into it to see if I could retrofit it myself. If you don't have an answer by the time I can either see or take ownership of mine, I'll try my best to get an answer. The car is supposed to arrive at the local dealer in the next day or so.

The install for sport sound for sake of explanation on all the parts:
https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.c...ns/9J1_Electric_Sport_Sound_Install_Instr.pdf

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
You are wrong.
Sports sound comes from additional speakers that are installed outside (front and back).

For example:
Interesting, I was pretty sure it was the law that it needed to make a sound on the outside regardless of the option.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Interesting, I was pretty sure it was the law that it needed to make a sound on the outside regardless of the option.
It is. A friend's Audi E-Tron makes the spaceship sound at low speeds in parking lots at my kid's school pickup line. I'm curious if the Taycan will effectively do the same thing. I'm fairly certain he doesn't have an added sound package.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That's not correct - inside and out. Wind down the window and try without sport sound enabled (low hum to alert pedestrians) then enable sport sound to get a deeper and more audible sound at the same speed. Changes according to the speed and also creates a throttle blip when decelerating from 50mph or so when in Sport mode which is the only cool thing about this option.
Sponsored

Reactions: B61