Porsche Certified Electrical Engineer

J0EL

First Name
Y1ADB1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Porsche needs to hire certified electrical engineers to work on our Taycans!
Its unprofessional and downright DANGEROUS having a certified mechanic just take a quick lesson on electricity, rather than having at least one certified electrical engineer at each location.

Who washes our car, the Janitor?
Sponsored

Reactions: B61

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Part of the issue could be lack of depth; it seems like there are at most two Taycan-trained techs at the dealerships in my area. That plus apparently the Taycan can tend to monopolize expensive diagnostic equipment that’s also in limited supply in the workshop.

Hopefully Porsche will begin scaling service resources appropriate to sales.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I don’t think they need an electrical engineer. A technician is fine, but they do need proper training. I’m not sure what training they get now so I couldn’t comment as to whether or not it’s sufficient. There’s a lot to cover and they probably need to go beyond the basics and really get into motor control specifically and control systems in general. Modern cars are as much that as they are mechanical. But electrical engineer? I don’t think so.

It’s probably hard to find anyway. I don’t know any EE who went to school with dreams of one day doing maintenance at a Porsche dealership…no offense to people who do maintenance at Porsche dealerships.

RobQ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 911, Tycan CT
Country flag
We owned a 911 991.2 a Macan and a backdated ST tribute 911. For the practical part we mostly used the Macan, for the fun I tended more and more to take the old 911. At the end hardly used the 991.2, so we decided to trade in the 991.2 and the Macan for a Taycan CT. gues this combination with the old 911 is the pefect combination.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My humble opinion is what they need is better logging in the car and better diagnostic tools/software. Many of us have experienced glitches that leave no error codes for the dealer to diagnose. If their diagnostic tools were better then the certified technician is enough to pull the logs and perform the repair.