Porsche drivers are 55% more likely to crash while driving their Porsche [all models] compared to their other vehicle - Study & Article - Corrected

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fake study is fake. The fact that some people think it’s not is good for a laugh.
Sponsored

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
No.
The study was specifically about EVs and EV driving habits, compared to ICE driving. See https://www.cmtelematics.com/news/c...-into-changes-in-road-safety-in-an-ev-future/

There are other articles online which support the title. Unfortunately I cannot find a copy of the actual study or presentation.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...han-when-driving-other-cars-study-189694.html
"We conducted the same analysis on individuals who operate a Porsche and another vehicle. In this case, we observed the opposite effect. Porsche drivers are 55% more likely to crash while driving their Porsche compared to their other vehicle.”

They reference "Porsche" three times, which would be very poor form when specifically talking about the Taycan. The snippet does not support your title.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I’m choosing to believe this is true…but it’s like one guy who crashed his car 4000 times last year throwing off the average for the rest of us.

I bet his insurance rate sucks.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
drivers of electric vehicles exhibit acceleration risks ranging from 180% to 340% higher
I absolutely agree with this one. The right pedal is addictive.

When they say a 50%(!) increase in risk, I read that as the difference between two very small numbers like 0.1% increases to 0.15%.

minstril

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
While I don't think this is some Tesla-funded smear campaign, I DO have a lot of skepticism about this entity (Cambridge Mobile Telematics) and their methodology. I wish I could see their actual data, and how they got it, rather than just their headline-bait conclusions, because I've got a lot of questions. From their website:

The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dash cams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior.

A little sleuthing led me to find a mobile app that these jokers have published called "Safest Driver", which I think you'd have to have downloaded to be part of this ridiculous "study". Either that or they've snuck this spyware somewhere else (i.e. the app for your insurance company might have their SDK embedded). But let's say they have a 100% accurate view of every Tesla and Taycan's collision history - how many crashes can that possibly be? They specifically call out a group that (a) is in their software's dragnet, (b) has a gas car, (c) also has a taycan, and (d) crashed it. That has to be a vanishingly small sample size.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
While I don't think this is some Tesla-funded smear campaign, I DO have a lot of skepticism about this entity (Cambridge Mobile Telematics) and their methodology. I wish I could see their actual data, and how they got it, rather than just their headline-bait conclusions, because I've got a lot of questions. From their website:

The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dash cams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior.

A little sleuthing led me to find a mobile app that these jokers have published called "Safest Driver", which I think you'd have to have downloaded to be part of this ridiculous "study". Either that or they've snuck this spyware somewhere else. But let's say they have a 100% accurate view of every Tesla and Taycan's collision history - how many crashes can that possibly be? They specifically call out a group that (a) has downloaded this app, (b) has a gas car, (c) also has a taycan, and (d) crashed it. That has to be a vanishingly small sample size.
Some insurance companies use these apps to provide discounts for good driver behaviour. I’ve used them and they measure your speed and acceleration. So it would make sense that drivers of sports cars would rank higher in “risk.” Same goes for EVs in general for acceleration.

If that’s what they’re referencing then it’s not directly related to risk of collision.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I'd love to see the source data and also how the analysis was performed. I haven't seen other articles that mentions Porsche drivers being more likely to be in accidents. The usual suspects of 'risky' drivers are ones with loose loan approval rates such as Nissan or Dodge.

Also the opening statement is confusing: " Tesla owners who also drive another vehicle are 50% less likely to have an accident in their Tesla compared to in their other vehicles..."

Does that mean that given the same driver, just by them getting into a Tesla, they become a safer driver? and... am I 55% more likely to crash driving my Porsche compared to my other cars? That's highly questionable, at best.

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP here.
I contacted the organization that did the study. The study's conclusion about Porsche drivers was based on drivers of all Porsche models, not just Taycan.
See edited post #1 for link to the entire study presentation webinar.

Last edited:

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
Well, the answer is simple. Tesla drivers aren't the one's wrecking their cars. The "autonomous systems" are.

I'm much more interested in the insurance rates of one car vs. another. The biggest and most comprehensive study ever done on automobile accidents is by the thousands of actuaries at our insurance companies. Their companys' survival depends on it.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Some insurance companies use these apps to provide discounts for good driver behaviour. I’ve used them and they measure your speed and acceleration. So it would make sense that drivers of sports cars would rank higher in “risk.” Same goes for EVs in general for acceleration.
Do you think a high percentage of Porsche owners have those installed on their cars? :CWL:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Do you think a high percentage of Porsche owners have those installed on their cars? :CWL:
I have one installed on my Phone. It basically measures; Phone Handling, Hand-Held calling, Hands-Free calling, and Harsh Braking. With the biggest dings for Hand-Held calling and Harsh Braking. Doesn't track speed. I usually end up with between a 5%-10% discount on my insurance. Of course, if I think I'll be making a lot of hands-free calls I just push the "I'm not driving" button ;)

It doesn't need to be on all of the time, just enough to accumulate sufficient data for the discount.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Key metric here is crashes per million km travelled that they used in the analysis. Although I share some of the skepticism about the data collection methodology, the results aren't fully surprising due to the use profiles of different vehicles. As it relates to Porsche, I'd expect that especially for the sports car models, the primary use case is spirited driving for shorter distances, which you'd expect to have a higher risk profile per distance driven. I take my 458 on canyon blasts for 75% of the miles I drive it, yet only put 3k miles per year on it. I fully expect on a per mile driven basis that the crash risk profile is higher than when I drive our GX460.

The Tesla data is probably a combination of people buying it for exclusively commuter purposes, as well as having standard safety features like forward collision automatic braking, as well as Level 2 ADAS. Relative to another ICE car that someone may own that might be older without these features, or perhaps a weekend sports car, this will lower the risk on a per mile basis. In addition, I'd bet that the miles driven are more likely to be highway miles (buyers may have bought Tesla for autopilot to make commuting easier), where the crash risk per mile is lower than say driving in a city or in town.

Point being that use case is most likely the key factor here, and probably has far less to do with the capabilities or features of the vehicle in question

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I find the Tesla trolling of the Taycan community, and along with other EV communities, to be exhausting. Maybe if Tesla’s were actually enjoyable to drive, they’d spend less time trolling the forums. 😜

Teslas are crap. Musk is charlatan. Tesla is now having untrained personnel working the service centers, because they could care less about your safety. Heck, you can’t even open the back doors from the inside if you lose power.

I’ve driven Tesla cars. I will never be giving Elon a dime of my money. The owner community is spectacularly toxic.
Couldn't agree more, but I am not American, so I don't dare to say anything. :p
Sponsored