First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
FWIW,

Because other family EVs or hybrids may us my 32A commando at some point in near future - and I am not sure of their spec ......

I got installed - a separate 32A metal clad Open-PEN RCBO fault correction device - specifically suitable for EVs - close to the commando socket (was only £120 ish) -

and a normal 2 way 32A consumer unit where the circuit links with the meter tails in my porch (around £30) - i.e. the supply is not linked to house consumer unit but picks up the supply between that and the meter.

Also the cable is slightly oversized for 32A @ 10mm2 - differential cost is minimal

total cost for installation - including running cables inside and outside <£700

main cost is labour - took 6 hours including some awkward bends near pipework

the kit is relatively lo-cost - so why skimp?

cheers
Sounds good, because my house CU is in the centre of the house like you I picked up the supply from the tails from the meter which ran to a 100amp isolating switch in the garage, then ran new tales to the original isolating switch and new tails to a new 18th edition CU next to the isolating switch. I went for a 6 way CU so had room for the 2 RCBOs Type A for the 2 commando sockets, a 100amp surge protection device and a mcb for the SPD plus some spare ways for future use if needed
Sponsored

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Sounds good, because my house CU is in the centre of the house like you I picked up the supply from the tails from the meter which ran to a 100amp isolating switch in the garage, then ran new tales to the original isolating switch and new tails to a new 18th edition CU next to the isolating switch. I went for a 6 way CU so had room for the 2 RCBOs Type A for the 2 commando sockets, a 100amp surge protection device and a mcb for the SPD plus some spare ways for future use if needed
Good solution!

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
RCD in the mobile chargers disconnects all poles (1 or 3 live depending on 1ph or 3ph charger), also the neutral even though I think the regs (even amendment 2) still state only that all LIVE connectors need to be disconnected during a fault - but I'm not a sparky!
If there was a neutral to earth fault, neutral could very well be live. It’s correct for the RCD to disconnect all poles.
Sponsored