Porsche Mobile Charging Unit

LoveInc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just got my Taycan last Friday with no dealer handover so apologies for what is probably a basic question . In the boot is the mobile charger , I’ve ordered a home charging point with pod point ( still to be fitted ) does the mobile charger basically do the same thing ? I’m wondering if I should cancel the pod point unit ?
Sponsored

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
Just got my Taycan last Friday with no dealer handover so apologies for what is probably a basic question . In the boot is the mobile charger , I’ve ordered a home charging point with pod point ( still to be fitted ) does the mobile charger basically do the same thing ? I’m wondering if I should cancel the pod point unit ?
Well, you can do that but you would need a 32A Commando outlet and a dedicated RCB etc etc, but you won’t get the grant. I am going to get a Zappi in the garage and keep the mobile charger for use while away from home. Search threads on the forum for more detailed info. How are you charging now?

OP
OP

LoveInc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Well, you can do that but you would need a 32A Commando outlet and a dedicated RCB etc etc, but you won’t get the grant. I am going to get a Zappi in the garage and keep the mobile charger for use while away from home. Search threads on the forum for more detailed info. How are you charging now?
I’ve charged 3 times at the local free council chargers .

OP
OP

LoveInc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Ps I wondered how this charger could be used away from home other than at someone else’s home . Am I missing something ?

mikeyyn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S. BMW X5, Golf GTi,
Country flag
Ps I wondered how this charger could be used away from home other than at someone else’s home . Am I missing something ?
Yes, sorry, that’s what I meant. Or at a hotel. Or in an emergency if the public charger you intended to use was broken. The 13A plug will be very slow, but a 32A lead perhaps at a place of work, will give 11KW just like a PodPoint.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
That’s what I did. Have had no problems with the Zappi 2 and the Porsche charger is the mobile spare That I will take when visiting friends (if we can). Zappi also works with my solar panels.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That’s what I did. Have had no problems with the Zappi 2 and the Porsche charger is the mobile spare That I will take when visiting friends (if we can). Zappi also works with my solar panels.
Hi,

For a period the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect was offered "free" in UK due to supply issues (mine was free and car delivered in Nov'20) but this morning I notice that they are now charging (£767, no pun intended) for it again.

To use as a mobile charger is probably not ideal as it is really only for emergencies and relies on a 13 Amp plug connection to power it when used this way. Much better to install this unit at home (I also installed the Porsche Charging Wall Dock) and have it connected to its own 32 Amp circuit from your main supply board.

The charger is now rated at 22kW (previously 11kW) which is a potential bonus at home if you have a 3 phase power supply to take advantage (otherwise you will get 7.4kW max). However, as the car only has an 11kW AC charger on board with the option for a 22KW AC charger now available (so new MY21 orders) you are essentially "stuck" just now with a max of 7.4kW AC at home charging capability. That said, for general use and overnight charging at home this works very well in my experience. The only downside is that if you can't find a Rapid or Ultrafast public DC charger then you are forced to use AC charging only which may be 22kW max (and more generally 7.4kW) leading to very slow charging only.

If you have got your Porsche Mobile Charger Connect for "free" then I don't see the need to pay for another one (different brand or otherwise) to install at home and leave the Porsche one in the boot occupying precious space for the rare time that you might use it. Remember also that you can easily unhook the Porsche charger and take on holiday with you if touring or at a weekend retreat where only a basic 13 Amp plug connection is available to you.

For some reason the Porsche charging unit isn't grant friendly however if you did get it "free" and then pay for the 32 Amp supply installation (Andersen EV - very good service) then this costs less than paying for a non-Porsche charger with grant and installation.

Thx
Sponsored