Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
When i turn the car off by pushing the power button and exit and then lock the car upon reentering the software for carplay and phone do not work and the car does not automatically start- i have to push the power button to start the car. If i exit the car and use the remote turn off the car and reenter no issues Any one else have this issue? 2020 Taycan 4S
Sponsored

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I do not have this issue. I always use the power button to turn off the car.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
... i turn the car off by pushing the power button and exit and then lock the car
I haven't been using the Power button. I just exit the car and lock it from the key.
Should I be using the Power button? Does this do anything that the lock button on the key does?
I have read the manual but it is not clear what the Power button does.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I haven't been using the Power button. I just exit the car and lock it from the key.
Should I be using the Power button? Does this do anything that the lock button on the key does?
I have read the manual but it is not clear what the Power button does.
Pressing and holding the power button for 1 second switches the vehicle off and, as far as turning off the car is concerned, produces the same result as putting it in park, setting the parking brake, and locking the doors.

My issue with shutting down the car with the latter method is threefold. First, I've had a lifetime of habit regarding shutting off the ignition when I leave a vehicle. Second, if you forget to perform one of the 3 operations required to shut off the ignition without pressing the power button, you might walk away and the car will still be "on". Yes, it will turn itself off after 30 minutes regardless but that's not optimal. Third, you're relying on the software to do something, and we all know that software is not infallible.

Bottom line I want to know the car is shut down before I exit it. I always press and hold the power button. That's just me.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When i turn the car off by pushing the power button and exit and then lock the car upon reentering the software for carplay and phone do not work and the car does not automatically start- i have to push the power button to start the car. If i exit the car and use the remote turn off the car and reenter no issues Any one else have this issue? 2020 Taycan 4S
I always use the power button to turn off the car and have never had an issue when re-entering.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
... putting it in park, setting the parking brake, and locking the doors
I believe this is what I'm doing (I'm new at this so don't shoot me): I hit the 'P' button to put the car in park, exit the car and then hit the lock button on the key. While I don't hear a sound, the lights blink and the mirrors fold in to confirm that the car is locked.
It sounds like this has the same effect as hitting the Power button? I'll need to do some experiments to see if there is any downside to the Power button (as mentioned by Scott above).
But I hear you about not wanting the heat or AC to be on for 30 minutes when you're not in the car.
I'm used to 'walk away locking' on my Tesla Y: I hit the 'Park' button, exit the car and then walk away. Some amount of time later, the mirrors fold in and the car locks.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe this is what I'm doing (I'm new at this so don't shoot me): I hit the 'P' button to put the car in park, exit the car and then hit the lock button on the key. While I don't hear a sound, the lights blink and the mirrors fold in to confirm that the car is locked.
It sounds like this has the same effect as hitting the Power button? I'll need to do some experiments to see if there is any downside to the Power button (as mentioned by Scott above).
But I hear you about not wanting the heat or AC to be on for 30 minutes when you're not in the car.
I'm used to 'walk away locking' on my Tesla Y: I hit the 'Park' button, exit the car and then walk away. Some amount of time later, the mirrors fold in and the car locks.
No worries. It sounds like you are doing a perfectly acceptable shutdown procedure.

I prefer using the power button because I'm used to shutting off the ignition in an ICE vehicle and because I get immediate, positive feedback that the car is "off". I've had no problems doing it that way. For someone like you who is used to the process in a Tesla, going the key fob route probably feels completely natural. Either way works. It's just personal preference.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Like @Mike in CA , I also always use the power button to shut the car off. I do not like getting out of the car while it’s still on. It doesn’t feel right.

I have not had any issues with car play or phone.

The only problem I have is homelink doesn’t work after the car is off and I never remember to hit the button to close the garage door until after I turn the car off. You would think I could train myself to hit the homelink button before I turn off the car…but 7 months of failure says otherwise…

JD4S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I always use the power button to turn off the car and have never had an issue when re-entering.
Same and I do have to endure about 30-90 seconds for CarPlay to connect wirelessly.
Sponsored

Last edited: