daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I have a chargepoint home flex EVSE that I currently plug into a non hubbell NEMA 14-50. I wonder if its just better to hardwire the evse and eliminate the failure/melting point. Thoughts?
unless the plug is getting above 120F you have nothing to worry about - but the hubble is a good choice for added piece of mind - hardwiring avoids these issues however no doubt - swapping one for the other is pretty straight forward but you'll have to modify the chargepoint homeflex EVSE to covert the plug based unit to hardwired - it's a straight forward change, but may invalidate the warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hope this would not invalidate the warranty given the chargepoint installation manual lists steps to do a hardwired installation.
https://chargepoint.ent.box.com/v/Flex-Install-EN-US
However, I will still reach out to customer support and confirm.
then you should be good to go - if you're considering hardwiring you should also consult an electrician and see if you can upgrade to 48 amp charging (60 amp breaker) - that will match your Taycan's maximum charge rate of 11 kW vs. 9.6 w/NEMA 14-50/6-50

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
I will inquire about the 60 amp breaker but that might get expensive. But, won't I need the upgraded charger to get the charge rate of 11kW? I thought the default was 9.6kW

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the manual you posted suggested it might be adjustable…but your unit might be limited to 40 amps - but it's worth checking out.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I will inquire about the 60 amp breaker but that might get expensive. But, won't I need the upgraded charger to get the charge rate of 11kW? I thought the default was 9.6kW
Whether or not 60A upgrade is expensive will depend on what gauge wire you have currently ran for the NEMA 14-50. If it's AWG6 for example, you can upgrade to 60A breaker without changing the wire, and the new 60A breaker itself will probably be $30-$40. Swapping breakers takes 5 minutes for an electrician. If you need to redo wiring, that can get more expensive, but that will depend on how far and whether or not it's easy to use old wires to pull in new one (if for example you have them running in a conduit). Of course you also need a 48A capable EVSE, so check whether or not your particular model EVSE can support it.

Last edited:

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
The EVSE does support 60 amp but I thought the max supported by the on board charger on the taycan was 9.6kW unless you upgraded that charger.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The EVSE does support 60 amp but I thought the max supported by the on board charger on the taycan was 9.6kW unless you upgraded that charger.
nope - porsche is wrong with their spec - it's a 48 amp 11 kW charger standard - the optional upgrade is 19.2 kW…

your Taycan can charge @ 11 kW if presented with a 48 amp L2 EVSE (like your ChargePoint or Porssche Wall Charger).

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Cayman & Polestar 2
Country flag
Just coming here to agree. I found out the almost hard way when the garage smelled funny from a Leviton.

Bought the hubbel myself and it’s been problem free. Also the clamping surface is much much better in the hubbel.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
I just checked and we have a Xiongda in a Connecticut Electric metal box that an electrician installed. Any idea how this compares to Hubbell?
Porsche Taycan [PSA for North America] - 1st Priority - home charging setup - demand and specify Hubbell commercial socket receptacle FAB48447-2508-499B-963D-0CC7A38F07F4

Last edited:

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
:like:
It was installed when we bought my wife's Model Y Performance and I occasionally use it with a TeslaTap to charge the Taycan. I would have glady specified and paid for a Hubbell had I known then what I know now. It got a fair review here and so far no melting.

Last edited:

JAGMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4
Country flag
I just replaced a Leviton with a Hubbell. I noticed the Hubbell is cool to the touch when charging. The Leviton was warm (not hot). Charge rate 9.6 kw

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
With all the weekend research behind me, I have decided to go hardwire route. Will have electrician come over to do that for us. However since the current NEMA receptacle is a bit lower than where I have the chargepoint installed, I am wondering if we would need to run a new wiring direct to the main panel or use a junction box where the current receptacle is and extend the wiring from there to the charger.

Here too they seem to agree that hardwired is the way to go:

Sponsored