PSCB Brakes

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
I think weekly is a stretch, unless a clean car really doesn't matter (which can be the case); especially if you are using your brakes. Also, pressure washing unless you are taking the time afterwards is just exchanging brake dust for water marks. And, depending on how hard your water is, can become permanent, even with a decent ceramic finish.
I have an inline softener and deionizer. With Opticoat PRO3, no watermarks.

That being said, I wash my car weekly and the first step is hitting the wheels with ferrex a very very soft brush, pressure washer and then blow dry them before moving on. The ferrex is probably overkill.
Sponsored

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I am looking forward to the regen starting after the brakes have bedded in over the first 1000 miles. Lots of brake dust visible even on my Black Spyders as all my braking is friction pads at the moment while everything beds in.
PSCB would be much appreciated for those first thousand miles when the lack of brake dust would be a bonus. That is their biggest (only?)plus!
Once the magnets take over with regen braking and there is virtually no brake dust created PSCB becomes entirely redundant.
And I like my red callipers.
They make the car go faster!
Vroom vroom.

Mike V

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
918, Taycan GTS ST, Tesla Model S P100D
Country flag
As an update, I thought about my previous explanation and I left out a description that might clarify my distaste for PSCB in cold precipitation use.

The problem is most obvious at SLOW SPEEDS when there is little recuperation braking because of the generator characteristics of the electric motors.

At low speed, say 5 -10 MPH, there is very little "generator voltage" produced by the drive train with which to charge the battery, thereby reducing the possibility of recuperation-e-Braking as the car slows.

If one is slowing down from travel speeds for a traffic signal or stop sign, the recuperation braking is quite sufficient for moderate-g deceleration. THEN, as the speed gets quite low, the recuperation disappears and the friction brakes are required to complete the stop. THIS IS WHEN I FREAK OUT if the PSCB brakes are cold and wet. To finish the stop, the pedal requires a HUGE INCREASE in effort/pressure which seems as if the car won't actually stop and I might rear-end the car stopped in front of me. I hate that feeling of helplessness.

All one has to do to confirm the normal lack of low-speed recuperation is to experiment a little with watching the charge-discharge display while braking from moderate speeds to a stop. This is normal electric car physics and not unique to Porsche. PSCB aggravates the normal issues.

Last edited:

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
This month's Christophorus. Good article on the Taycans recuperation braking system and mechanical brakes.
2 megawatts is a hell of a lot more than 265kW.
The motors can only do so much.........

Porsche Taycan PSCB Brakes 20220616_182408

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
This month's Christophorus. Good article on the Taycans recuperation braking system and mechanical brakes.
2 megawatts is a hell of a lot more than 265kW.
The motors can only do so much.........

20220616_182408.jpg
in extreme situations - every day driving is _NOT_ extreme situations.