Public Charging, do I need to sign up with different providers?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
This is great info, @TAYC4N, thanks.

I take it, with your expreience, for those of us tapping our fingers on the table waiting for our Taycans to be loaded onto a ship, it would be best for us to register with the Porsche Charging Service once our car is inbound from Emden to take advantage of the 12 months "Free" offer?
You will actually have three years FREE SUBSCRIPTION to the Porsche Service. States one year with automatic renewal. After three years there will be a fee, but have not been able to see how much that will be. In the US the actual charging is also free for 3 years, but not in Europe it seems.
Sponsored

Dogs_Tess_Tickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (delivered 31/07/2020), 996 911 C4S, Mercedes_E320
Country flag
You will actually have three years FREE SUBSCRIPTION to the Porsche Service. States one year with automatic renewal. After three years there will be a fee, but have not been able to see how much that will be. In the US the actual charging is also free for 3 years, but not in Europe it seems.
Nice ..... thanks for the info

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
All good info thanks all. I knew there was a Porsche card but not aware how to apply for it if it was going to be given at car handover.

Another question, on the charge your car Website you can pay £20 for an rfid card or it looks like the app does the same for free. Do I need the rfid card? No issue on the cost obviously but just rather not have a bunch of cards if I don’t need them...

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
All good info thanks all. I knew there was a Porsche card but not aware how to apply for it if it was going to be given at car handover.

Another question, on the charge your car Website you can pay £20 for an rfid card or it looks like the app does the same for free. Do I need the rfid card? No issue on the cost obviously but just rather not have a bunch of cards if I don’t need them...
You’ll probably find that the rfid card is more responsive than the app. That’s my Limited experience from my wife’s car.

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
You’ll probably find that the rfid card is more responsive than the app. That’s my Limited experience from my wife’s car.
ok greats, thanks. Might be worthwhile then to get the rfid card.

on another subject, zappi home charger installed today! :)

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ok greats, thanks. Might be worthwhile then to get the rfid card.

on another subject, zappi home charger installed today! :)
Perfect, did you get harvi installed as well. It’s basically like the home monitor. The zappi is a good piece of kit.

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Perfect, did you get harvi installed as well. It’s basically like the home monitor. The zappi is a good piece of kit.
Not sure about harv, it tells me how many kw the house is drawing on an app, is that it or is there more?

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Just googled, no harvi but I have the wifi hub and it measures the house consumption, how it does that I have no idea!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The harvi is wireless and clamps onto the main incoming supply at your home. Great tool to monitor house consumption and lower the pull when charging if your zappi is pulling too many electrons. Was included in my box ...

OP
OP
jetbox

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
The harvi is wireless and clamps onto the main incoming supply at your home. Great tool to monitor house consumption and lower the pull when charging if your zappi is pulling too many electrons. Was included in my box ...
Is it placed inside your electricity meter cupboard? Maybe I do.... I think we used the same installer.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is it placed inside your electricity meter cupboard? Maybe I do.... I think we used the same installer.
Yeah, little grey box about 2 inch square. Cool little unit. IProtech?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Although it is measuring kw consumed somehow
Without the harvi my charger would say it was pulling kw from solar which I didn’t have. Do I logged a fault and the guy came back and fitted the harvi and changed a couple of settings in the charger. Now I see the kw pull on the house and the kw pull to the charger. Do you see all that in the app without harvi?

Ymt400

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Tycan 4S in Gentian Blue: Previous: Macan S
Country flag
The public charging network in the UK is fairly fragmented and in my experience quite unreliable.

Polar (also known as BP Chargemaster) have the biggest nationwide network and are rolling out mostly 50kwh chargers of late. RFID card, and monthly membership fee, charging free (on some low power ones), but mostly 12p/kwh.

Pod Point (just been bought by EDF) are also nationwide, use by phone app, no membership fee charging free to 15p/kwh

Ecotricity have something of a monopoly on the motorways under the Electric Highway brand, and are mostly 50kwh. Works via phone app, costs a whopping 30p/kwh, and you are limited to 45 minute charge.

Those are the three big networks. Ionity have a handful of 350kwh stuff being built (69p/kwh) Shell are rolling out 50 and 150kwh chargers on forecourts (39p/kwh :facepalm: ), but the best thing to do is download the Zap-Map phone app and see which providers are around you - it also has a good route planner part for journeys, and you can filter out slow chargers. The PorscheConnect app tries to do a similar job, but nowhere near as effectively.
Great summary. I have have the Porsche Charging Service card and Porsche asked me to complete application prior to car delivery. No IONITY chargers near me so signed up for Polar Plus which charge 15p KWH near me at Holiday Inn. This is mainly for back up at 50 KWh and same cost as home electricity. 3 months free then £7.95 per month and access to 6000 charge stations. Have it for peace of mind when travelling.
Sponsored