BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
The economics don't stack up if another EVSE is in play IMHO.

The PCM connectivity is key as that is what OVO talks to - not the EVSE.

If the PCM fails or connectivity fails then there's a bigger issue to worry about.

Not yet had a connectivity issue but understand your point. Should it occur then I can live with the increase charge per kw which is still 50% cheaper than public charging.
Ovo can talk either to a compatible car or to a compatible evse. So if you have the latter, you don't need to link it up to the car (I think).

As for the economics of having an extra EVSE, i take your point, though a lot of the cost will be getting the cabling and spur put in etc. For me, I prefer to have the porsche evse in the car for away charging flexibility and for using at our spare house where i've got a commando socket installed :).
Sponsored

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I already had an EVSE, a Tesla Wall Connector (Mk 2) vintage 2017/18. Still kicking along. In fact I've got two (one is now for spares)

Surprisingly it didn't spit the dummy when first asked to charge its nemesis, Taycan. It just thought about it for a little bit before green lights started serenely strobing 😱🤣

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
It is not IP65 rated - IP55 only (so weather proof to a degree)

1704817215336.png
Apologies - should have double checked!

The last digit is water so at least that's the same. And if wall mounting I imagine water is the bigger deal.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Ovo can talk either to a compatible car or to a compatible evse. So if you have the latter, you don't need to link it up to the car (I think).

As for the economics of having an extra EVSE, i take your point, though a lot of the cost will be getting the cabling and spur put in etc. For me, I prefer to have the porsche evse in the car for away charging flexibility and for using at our spare house where i've got a commando socket installed :).
Given the Taycan is supplied with an EVSE and the PCM is OVO (others) friendly there really is no need to source another (2nd homes aside). Everyone's situation is different.

At the end of the day I think we've lost the plot here. We have £100K (average) cars and now can get £0.07p / kW home charging where previously it was £0.30p we are quids in and if on occasion we have to pay the full whack our fuel charges are as cheap as chips.

Just sayin'....

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Given the Taycan is supplied with an EVSE and the PCM is OVO (others) friendly there really is no need to source another (2nd homes aside). Everyone's situation is different.

At the end of the day I think we've lost the plot here. We have £100K (average) cars and now can get £0.07p / kW home charging where previously it was £0.30p we are quids in and if on occasion we have to pay the full whack our fuel charges are as cheap as chips.

Just sayin'....
I'll meet you half way and say you don't need a wrongly priced porsche sponsored Anderson charger!

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’d put my Porsche granny charger on eBay, save for the fact that when I eventually sell the car it will probably raise more questions of the car doesn’t come with it. So I’ve just stuck it in the cupboard. 😅

Iben

First Name
Jean-Are
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S (2020 mod.)
Country flag
Hi
New to EV’s so bear with me. I pick up my Taycan soon but getting confused charger wise. It comes with mobile charger connect. I’ll be charging at home 99% of the time. Do I need a different charger too? Also, is the mobile charger connect waterproof as would be installed outside.
No. You don`t.
I use the supplied charger 99% of the time (400Vac and 16A).

Porsche Taycan Do I need another charger ? 20201216_143203

OP
OP
Remedy234

Remedy234

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navarra, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Just seen that the charger Porsche supply doesn’t have PEN protection!

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Just seen that the charger Porsche supply doesn’t have PEN protection!
I maintain that the charger that's supplied with the Taycan in the UK - is basically a (bloated) granny charger with a 32A commando blue command plug in a addition to the 13A domestic 3-pin plug.

It's not a proper replacement for a permanent EVSE in my opinion. Sorry to offend any Porsche charger aficionado's - but its neither actually made by Porsche nor indeed very good.

edit - updated the rating of the blue commando, didn’t change my rating of the unit. 😅

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I maintain that the charger that's supplied with the Taycan in the UK - is basically a (bloated) granny charger with a 16A commando blue command plug in a addition to the 13A domestic 3-pin plug.

It's not a proper replacement for a permanent EVSE in my opinion. Sorry to offend any Porsche charger aficionado's - but its neither actually made by Porsche nor indeed very good.
Umm, it is supplied with a 32A connector. Originally there was a choice of 16A or 32A but now it's 32A standard.

For me it's been a 100% reliable and efficient granny, now serving it's 2nd Taycan. I'm not sure what is expected by folk from an EVSE other than to safely and reliably supply power to the onboard AC charger which in my experience it does rather well.

When I got my first Taycan some years back I lucked out and got the PMCC free of charge due to supply issues at the time and ended up with the 22kW version (I only have single phase at home currently).

Most components on any Porsche aren't made by 'Porsche' at the end of day as we all know.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Why not supply
Umm, it is supplied with a 32A connector. Originally there was a choice of 16A or 32A but now it's 32A standard.

For me it's been a 100% reliable and efficient granny, now serving it's 2nd Taycan. I'm not sure what is expected by folk from an EVSE other than to safely and reliably supply power to the onboard AC charger which in my experience it does rather well.

When I got my first Taycan some years back I lucked out and got the PMCC free of charge due to supply issues at the time and ended up with the 22kW version (I only have single phase at home currently).

Most components on any Porsche aren't made by 'Porsche' at the end of day as we all know.
As said. I think it’s huge & ungainly for what amounts to a granny charger. A permanently cabled in EVSE with a place to stow the connector would be a far better, neater solution for long term use without needing to add additional PEN protection for compliance.

as you can tell I just don’t rate it. 🤣

OP
OP
Remedy234

Remedy234

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The lack of PEN protection is the deciding factor for me as any electrical fault could go directly back to the car and damaging its electrical system. Not worth the risk in my eyes

Last edited:

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
As said. I think it’s huge & ungainly for what amounts to a granny charger. A permanently cabled in EVSE with a place to stow the connector would be a far better, neater solution for long term use without needing to add additional PEN protection for compliance.

as you can tell I just don’t rate it. 🤣
The wall mounting kit comes with a place to stow the connector and it all looks neat enough on a garage wall.

It also has the advantage of being portable when needed. Wired in solutions do not. And the 32A commando can be used for other things.

On the "granny charger" note, they're called that because of the slow speeds. If you use the Porsche charger via a 3 pin plug, fair enough. But on a 32A connection it is basically as fast as a dedicated, wired in solution. You can see it as a granny charger if you like... But it isn't one :)

Horses for courses. But I was happy to save myself £1k on what is simply a tool.

(If it were connected to the outside of my house permanently, the aesthetic might be more of a worry. But it's in my garage along with all the other utilitarian stuff. So would rather bank the cash).

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The lack of PEN protection is the deciding factor for me as any electrical fault could go directly back to the car and damaging its electrical system. Not worth the risk in my eyes
Covered by Porsche warranty (?), plus you must install with a proper earthing setup (as per guidance in user guide). I'm not 100% certain that the installer (Andersens) didn't also add additional protection at the fuse box to tick the PEN box. Risk therefore should be mitigated.

Safety is of course paramount but in 3+ years now I've had no electrical issue from the PMCC (no trips etc) and confirmation that the earthing is sound.

OP
OP
Remedy234

Remedy234

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got to say I’m a little annoyed with Porsche OPC now. Turns out the car advertised with Mobile Charger Connect now doesn’t have it as Porsche recalled them all due to being a fire risk. You would think that PEN protection would be essential. Maybe this was why they recalled them?
Sponsored

Last edited: