Quickest Method(s) to Reset a Taycan

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Taycan is a giant computer, so the stereotypical IT "Have you turned it off and back on yet" diagnostic very much applies. Does anyone want to share the quickest method to reset the Taycan computers? The long method is to shut the car down and leave it alone a 30-60 minutes. Any proven fuse pull methods?

Some background:
I was on a roadtrip this weekend, in the middle of a state park, and my PCM would not boot - stuck on the screen showing "Taycan", though the backup camera worked, HVAC and audio worked, even Carplay connected (but would not show). It was a particularly bad moment to lose navigation as it was dark, LTE coverage was poor so with Taycan's insulated glass the cell phones could not be used to navigation unless we stuck them out of the car window. Rebooted twice via engineering mode, no change. Leaving it locked for 20 minutes did not do the trick either, after over an hour locked PCM finally started back up. Lucky we had sufficient charge as I am not sure if charging would have worked (the phone app showed "charging error" even though SoC was 100%, as we just finished AC charging).

PS> Visited 2 EA chargers this weekend too (had AC charging at all stops), each time there was one plug down but got a 350KW spot both times and there were other 150's open too. First one got me over 250KW and the second 160KW but that was probably because an ID.4 was sharing it with me (he was pulling 106KW - unaware he should have used one of the other 6 150KW stations which were available). So far I've driven over 4K miles on EA and for me it turns out EA is more reliable than Porsche PCM software 🤷‍♂️ (2nd and 3rd PCM failures happened this weekend, I've had the car since February - I wonder if bad LTE has something to do with PCM crapping out).
Sponsored

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
It's pretty simple with an OBDII dongel and the app.
Just press the "Reboot PCM" (my own custom text btw).

Or use the "two finger" reset.

Screenshot_20230527-190619.png
Sadly, the two finger reset did not work (that's what I meant when I said "reboot via engineering mode") - did it twice, both times the PCM got stuck at "Taycan" on the screen. Is the OBDII reset basically truggetin the same thing as the engineering mode which shows up after the 2 finger tap?

Last edited:

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Besides removing ground from the 12V battery for 5-10 min, I'm out of ideas to be honest. Maybe there's a secret "reset the whole bloody thing" somewhere but it will take years to find it unless a Porsche Tech leaks it.

slothinker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 (now sold), Toyota MR2, BMW 328i (now sold)
Country flag
An after-market physical on/off switch for one of the 12V battery poles would be a very useful thing to have.

Last edited:

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@whitex Very good question. Based on tech's notes in this forum post I would guess that "instrument cluster" fuse in left dashboard fusebox is a good candidate. Described in tech's notes as terminal 30 reset.

Even if it works, I don't know whether removing/replacing that dashboard cover and pulling the fuse is easier than disconnecting 12v battery ground in the frunk.

Note: dashboard fusebox is not the one in the footwell. Photos of the left dashboard fusebox and fuse 8: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10173082-0001.pdf

Last edited:

cccmanhattan

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Sadly, the two finger reset did not work (that's what I meant when I said "reboot via engineering mode") - did it twice, both times the PCM got stuck at "Taycan" on the screen. Is the OBDII reset basically truggetin the same thing as the engineering mode which shows up after the 2 finger tap?
Any recommendation on a dongle and app tha works well with the Taycan?

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag