bmoss

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
Very, very helpful guide, thank you! One addition in case it's useful, I just wired my detector in my 2023 Taycan GTS, I found that the entire lower fuse block in the driver side kick panel location is switched with the ignition, so if you have an empty slot (mine has several that are not used), you can just put a fuse tap into any empty slot and not mess with an existing circuit. Also, I think (but I don't remember for sure) that the powered side of the lowest fuse block is the bottom.
Sponsored

ralphy1798

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Ford GT500+Raptor, Lincoln Navigator
Country flag
I installed this today and it’s awesome! The fuse tap I used feels a little loose. Did anyone else notice this? Any issues with is vibrating / rattling out over time?

I put a piece of electrical tape over the entire bank of C fuses and wrapped around the sides - I think it’ll be fine.

Speuk

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT 4S in Dolomite Silver
Country flag
Has anyone removed the A pillar cover rather than just tuck the cable under the edge of the door seal. I prefer to route the cable behind the air bag at the top of the A pillar. I have removed the cover in numerous BMWs but not sure how easily the Taycan cover unclips

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I assume this fuse box is just normal mini fuse types?

Fletch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 CT4S, ‘21 Defender 110
Country flag
anyone try a windshield mount at the bottom center of laying on the dash a bit? front of car drops off quite a bit seems like that should also work? maybe not with insulated glass i suppose

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
anyone try a windshield mount at the bottom center of laying on the dash a bit? front of car drops off quite a bit seems like that should also work? maybe not with insulated glass i suppose
That's too low for correct operation.

Mbgt72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Just wanted to say thanks for this. I bought a "Savvy" obdII plug to power my V1 as I love the automatic speed muting function, but as I found out the hard way, the OBDII will not power a radar detector. Apparently it's also a known issue on the Tesla's. It was a bummer but glad I have it hardwired now.

TechZeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Question: Do you need to disconnect the battery (12V) to do the install. I have done an audio install in my Polo in the past and now doing this to my Taycan. In my audio install in the ICE car I had to disconnect the battery before installing the stereo so as not to fuse/short anything. In all posts so far for Taycan radar/dashcam install I dont see anyone disconnecting or advising to disconnect the 12v battery. Can someone please advise.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I did a dash cam fuse box install and did not disconnect power beforehand.

No issues

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Has anyone removed the A pillar cover rather than just tuck the cable under the edge of the door seal
Very delayed response but yes, I removed my A pillar trim for the install. It was neither super easy nor super hard to do.

See my thread here.

TechZeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I did a dash cam fuse box install and did not disconnect power beforehand.

No issues
Thank you so much. Also want to confirm that the hot part (12v) of the fuse is bottom. I know it will work either way with fuse tap, but the right orientation, should I just follow your diagram and have the fuse tap wire facing up?

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think(?) it's dependent on the fuse bank row. I used a multimeter to confirm but you should also be able to see which side has the metal contact just by shining a flashlight into the fuse banks.

TechZeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
This was way way easier then thought. Thank you so much for the detailed pictures. The panels popped so easily with a single trim tool and the instructions were spot on even for RWD US version.
Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box IMG_9035
Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box image
Porsche Taycan Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box image

TechZeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
w
This week I received my new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I wanted to hardwire it, but didn't want to use the mirror tap. I decided to use a fuse tap to power the V2G2. The fuse box is located in the driver's footwell for US cars. Row C, slot 8 is the fuse for the Interior Mirror. The power switches on and off with the "ignition". The pink plastic covers that cover the fuses are a pain to remove. I called the dealership to ask how to remove it. I got a long speech about how it is a high voltage electric car and I shouldn't be touching anything in the fuse box. It was a useless and clueless conversation. I found a black tab at the end of the pink plastic. Even after releasing the tab, it is not easy to remove the pink cover. I broke the tab on row A. It won't make a difference since the fuses are well seated just like every other car.

*EDITED August 1, 2021 - Installation of the fuse tap is still correct, but pic 7 was edited to correct the identification of the load and hot slots/blades of the fuse - thanks @911jeff

Fyi, currently the V1 Gen2 is mounted on the windshield just above the mirror instead of the visor mount in pic 1

Here some pictures.

V1G2-1.jpg

V1G2-2.jpg

V1G2-3.jpg

V1G2-4.jpg

V1G2-4b.jpg

V1G2-4c.jpg

V1G2-5.jpg

V1G2-6.jpg

V1G2-7.jpg

V1G2-8.jpg
Quick question: I am not installing a Dash Cam and have ordered a hardwire kit that allows for always-on recording even when car is off. For this I would need to tap in into an always on 12v fuse, remove it, and put a fuse tap. I wanted to know will removing a live 12v fuse cause an OBD error when I restart the car. I remember in my VW if you removed the SRS fuse you would get an airbag error (it could be easily cleared) but I want to make sure I dont get an error to begin with.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wanted to know will removing a live 12v fuse cause an OBD error when I restart the car.
I had no issues when I did exactly this. I kept the key away just to make sure I didn't accidentally "start" the car while working on it.
Sponsored