Radar Detector - Hardwire Fuse Box

wemct

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Aston Martin DB11 (V12), Maserati Levante S GranSport, Porsche Boxster S
Country flag
This week I received my new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I wanted to hardwire it, but didn't want to use the mirror tap. I decided to use a fuse tap to power the V2G2. The fuse box is located in the driver's footwell for US cars. Row C, slot 8 is the fuse for the Interior Mirror. The power switches on and off with the "ignition". The pink plastic covers that cover the fuses are a pain to remove. I called the dealership to ask how to remove it. I got a long speech about how it is a high voltage electric car and I shouldn't be touching anything in the fuse box. It was a useless and clueless conversation. I found a black tab at the end of the pink plastic. Even after releasing the tab, it is not easy to remove the pink cover. I broke the tab on row A. It won't make a difference since the fuses are well seated just like every other car.

Here some pictures.

V1G2-1_01.jpg

V1G2-2_01.jpg

V1G2-3_01.jpg

V1G2-4_01.jpg

V1G2-4b_01.jpg

V1G2-4c_01.jpg

V1G2-5_01.jpg

V1G2-6_01.jpg

V1G2-7_01.jpg

V1G2-8_01.jpg

redrocket

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Panamera 4S, Bimmer X3
Country flag
@wemct, your instructional turned a job that I had been dreading into a piece of cake. Thank you!

T-Fury

Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi e-Tron and Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@wemct thanks for this helpful information. As a quick question, do you have the thermally and noise insulated glass? I’ve heard this wreaks havoc with many radar detectors. I was thinking about mounting the detector in the non-insulated section near the mirror housing and hoping for the best.

OP
wemct

wemct

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Aston Martin DB11 (V12), Maserati Levante S GranSport, Porsche Boxster S
Country flag
@wemct thanks for this helpful information. As a quick question, do you have the thermally and noise insulated glass? I’ve heard this wreaks havoc with many radar detectors. I was thinking about mounting the detector in the non-insulated section near the mirror housing and hoping for the best.
I have the standard glass. I think a small detector like the Radenso Pro M will work in the non insulated area. Good luck. My V1Gen2 seems like it would be okay too. I feel much better running the Taycan with the detector. Waze has become too spotty lately.

Reg

Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@wemct

Thanks for this

Do the wires tuck in or do you have to remove pieces of trim?

And if you remove trim is there a trick about not breaking the clips?

OP
wemct

wemct

Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@wemct

Thanks for this

Do the wires tuck in or do you have to remove pieces of trim?

And if you remove trim is there a trick about not breaking the clips?
Like you, I was also wary of breaking clips. That was the main reason why I didn't want to do the mirror tap method. The only panels that I removed were the covers to the fuse panels that you see in the pictures. The one for the foot well can be removed by getting your fingers under one side and gently getting the clips to release. The higher panel on the side of the dash I started on the side where it meets the doors and used a stiff piece of plastic card to avoid damaging the leather with anything too sharp. Everything else on the A pillar, door weather seal and roof trim were done by tucking the wire without removing anything.

Reactions: Reg

Reg

Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Everything else on the A pillar, door weather seal and roof trim were done by tucking the wire without removing anything.
Terrific. Thanks. I may actually give this a try - but doing it for a dash cam.

Todd

First Name
Todd
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 taycan 4s
Country flag
This week I received my new Valentine 1 Gen 2 radar detector. I wanted to hardwire it, but didn't want to use the mirror tap. I decided to use a fuse tap to power the V2G2. The fuse box is located in the driver's footwell for US cars. Row C, slot 8 is the fuse for the Interior Mirror. The power switches on and off with the "ignition". The pink plastic covers that cover the fuses are a pain to remove. I called the dealership to ask how to remove it. I got a long speech about how it is a high voltage electric car and I shouldn't be touching anything in the fuse box. It was a useless and clueless conversation. I found a black tab at the end of the pink plastic. Even after releasing the tab, it is not easy to remove the pink cover. I broke the tab on row A. It won't make a difference since the fuses are well seated just like every other car.

Here some pictures.

V1G2-1_01.jpg

V1G2-2_01.jpg

V1G2-3_01.jpg

V1G2-4_01.jpg

V1G2-4b_01.jpg

V1G2-4c_01.jpg

V1G2-5_01.jpg

V1G2-6_01.jpg

V1G2-7_01.jpg

V1G2-8_01.jpg
Dude. So awesome you posted this. I did it step by step as you instructed. Perfection. Thx for making it so easy!!!!

Advertisement

Advertisement