First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 997
Country flag
Hello all,

I am very close to ordering a 4s Taycan, I do a fair amount of motorway miles,I know it’s wrong but do find my self cruising around 90mph at times. What kind of range can you expect at these speeds?

Cheers in advance
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I consistently run at about 35 or 36 kWh/100 mi when cruise control locked 85. You might lose another 1 or 2 kWh/100 at 90, so I'd say 230 miles.

That's with decent weather on 20" wheels. In the cold it'll be less.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
I consistently run at about 35 or 36 kWh/100 mi when cruise control locked 85. You might lose another 1 or 2 kWh/100 at 90, so I'd say 230 miles.

I'm excited for a quick drive for 180 miles on Saturday and will report back.

OP
OP

Benyates92

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 997
Country flag
Thanks for all the info, well that’s more than enough. Was just worried that it would completely slash the range. Keep finding reasons why I should order one!

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

That sounds about right in good conditions with cruise control. I have seen a large drop-off recently though, which seems to be weather related. Currently I wouldn't expect much more than 200-210 miles in my Turbo (20inch) at a hypothetical consistent 90mph (temperatures are about 50/60F or 13/14C). Been looking for an old car and driver article. Think this is it: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30874032/porsche-taycan-range-test-tesla-model-s/

They took a Turbo S on an oval (which in and of itself obviously has flaws in the methodology), and found a 209 mile extrapolated range when driving at a consistent 75mph for 100 miles at 55F. That was on 21 inch wheels. You will get more on a 4S with 19inch wheels for example.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drove about 430 miles today. The first leg of 190 was on open highway with cruise set at 90. Innodrive and ALK works really well on a well-marked highway. We had one stop for coffee and to walk the dog. We started with 100% charge and a heated cabin and ended at the new chargers on the taconic pkwy with about 30 miles remaining. With a full battery we poked around town, did many launches and 0 to __ pulls to show off to my family members who wanted a ride then drove about 100 miles to visit a friend and hang around in their yard. I used the handy Tesla tap and charged just enough to get us home. We slowed a bit and used range mode and found about 15 more miles of range. So, 90mph cruising will still get about 220 miles. The range estimate is very accurate when you plug in your destination. Ambient temps were 38-50f and the battery was between 83-86 for most of the trip.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I drove about 430 miles today. The first leg of 190 was on open highway with cruise set at 90. Innodrive and ALK works really well on a well-marked highway. We had one stop for coffee and to walk the dog. We started with 100% charge and a heated cabin and ended at the new chargers on the taconic pkwy with about 30 miles remaining. With a full battery we poked around town, did many launches and 0 to __ pulls to show off to my family members who wanted a ride then drove about 100 miles to visit a friend and hang around in their yard. I used the handy Tesla tap and charged just enough to get us home. We slowed a bit and used range mode and found about 15 more miles of range. So, 90mph cruising will still get about 220 miles. The range estimate is very accurate when you plug in your destination. Ambient temps were 38-50f and the battery was between 83-86 for most of the trip.
Wow, that’s crazy good at 90mph in those conditions. Do you know the temperature of your battery when you started the trip?

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, that’s crazy good at 90mph in those conditions. Do you know the temperature of your battery when you started the trip?
It was 38 degrees outside temp when we started but the car was plugged in and a timer had conditioned and charged to 100%. I think battery temp was in the 70's

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@Christian J
Great results
What model and wheels do you have ?

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have had my 4S with 21 inch Mission E wheels just under two weeks and have 200 miles on the clock. It has been fully charged 3 times and on each occasion showed only 197 miles available. The outside temp being around 12C. Immediately on putting the windscreen de-mister on the range dropped by 20 miles, if left on. I am also finding that the drop off in range far exceeds the mileage covered, often being nearly double.
Porsche Taycan Range at 90mph? 71791C4A-A4B4-47BC-AC5F-F17BC7F109DA

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have had my 4S with 21 inch Mission E wheels just under two weeks and have 200 miles on the clock. It has been fully charged 3 times and on each occasion showed only 197 miles available. The outside temp being around 12C. Immediately on putting the windscreen de-mister on the range dropped by 20 miles, if left on. I am also finding that the drop off in range far exceeds the mileage covered, often being nearly double.
71791C4A-A4B4-47BC-AC5F-F17BC7F109DA.jpeg
You (should) begin to see an increase in range gradually. All Taycan's seem to start with a predicted range of around 200 miles, then increase as the car gets to know your driving habits and style. Also, the regen is probably only just beginning to fully kick-in at 200 miles (initially, the regen is very light to break-in the physical brakes). That all said, I am beginning to see that battery temperature has a significant effect on the range. If the battery is also at 12C, on short trips I am seeing an extrapolated range of only 175-190miles. It seems like the way to increase range is to pre-condition the battery before starting (haven't quite worked out how to do that yet, but I think it requires charging at the same time as pre-conditioning the interior). Christian J in the thread above said he got the battery into the 70Fs before starting on a trip where it was 38F externally and achieved some great range. I'm hoping to try this out on a longer trip next month.

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
You (should) begin to see an increase in range gradually. All Taycan's seem to start with a predicted range of around 200 miles, then increase as the car gets to know your driving habits and style. Also, the regen is probably only just beginning to fully kick-in at 200 miles (initially, the regen is very light to break-in the physical brakes). That all said, I am beginning to see that battery temperature has a significant effect on the range. If the battery is also at 12C, on short trips I am seeing an extrapolated range of only 175-190miles. It seems like the way to increase range is to pre-condition the battery before starting (haven't quite worked out how to do that yet, but I think it requires charging at the same time as pre-conditioning the interior). Christian J in the thread above said he got the battery into the 70Fs before starting on a trip where it was 38F externally and achieved some great range. I'm hoping to try this out on a longer trip next month.
Be interested to read about your findings... good luck.
Sponsored