RAS when coming from an M5?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I understood the angle was only a few %?
I also yet have to arrive at the end of my wheels turning. Never came to the point yet where the wheel can’t go further. How to value it when driving I wouldn’t know, curious to try though.
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I understood the angle was only a few %?
I also yet have to arrive at the end of my wheels turning. Never came to the point yet where the wheel can’t go further. How to value it when driving I wouldn’t know, curious to try though.
It’s not about the front wheels turning. It’s about the rear wheels turning and allowing the rear to swing out and change the angle. Adding steering to the rear of the car is not the same as adding additional steering lock to the front.

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I wouldn’t know, never experienced it. Curious though.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I've read most of the threads about whether optioning rear axle steering is a must have or not. It seems to be a majority (70%+) say yes. I'm still a few months away from allocation on my order but would like feedback on RAS.

I'm coming from an F90 M5 competition and going to a Taycan CT. Given the length of my M5 and the CT are basically the same and I have no issues manoeuvring the M5, would you say RAS is still a must have?

I'm in Australia so the option for RAS is $4300 AUD ($3000 usd or $2800 euros) which is quite a lot. Not sure if for me it'll be worth it? The CT I test drove didn't have it as an option so I haven't felt it in action
They Taycan has a slightly shorter wheelbase and slightly smaller turning radius than your current car if you're happy at low speeds with what you have, you should be happy with the Taycan without RAS. At higher speeds? I have no idea.

Icey4s

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S, 21 Audi SQ8, 20 330i, 19 M5 C
Country flag
Currently have both, a Taycan 4s with RWS and an F90 M5. Noticeable difference between the 2, really like the RWS, which we also have on our Audi SQ8 and love it.

OzzieT

First Name
Oz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
@datal1 I went from a BMW 650 without RAS to the 850 with RAS. Amazing difference and it aligns to the excellent points made above by @f1eng. Given the GTS (on order) is very similar in size to the 850, it was one of the first options added.

maxkkk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY21
Country flag
My BMW X5 g05 had a rear axel steering option and I really liked that. However, when I test drove Cayenne which didn’t had one (and a taycan as well), I was amazed how great those cars handle. It really resembled me RAS, but they didn’t have that. The only option they had is a power steering plus. So I think you’ll be more than fine without ras on Porsche :) but it’s about handling, not about maneuvering on a parking lot, where the difference might be noticeable. But you’ll get used to that quickly

inkatouring

Threads
Reaction score
Nowhere but at least I'm getting there fast
Vehicles
More than is sane but less than I want............
Country flag
I think RAS is 2800€ everywhere 🤣

Regarding it being a must have... That's a complicated question.

It reminds me manual vs automatic cars. For 28 years I resisted to automatics. Even paid extra to have stick shift because in my mind, manual was the only manly way of driving a car. An automatic was just a glorified golf cart. I never had driven an automatic.

The taycan was actually the first "automatic" I drove even if only in a test drive and the physical itch one feels in the left leg when coming to a stop is real but in retrospective, it was a great ride. I won't miss the shift lever for sure.

Back to RAS. Not having it or experienced it makes one feel it's unnecessary or superfluous. I was able to pin park the demo taycan without any RAS (and actually only used the rear camera to see if it was minimally capable) and so I'm sure it is possible to live without it (I didn't option it in my order) but I feel that it is the same situation as with manual vs automatic. Those who don't have it, don't miss it. Those who have, love it.

It did concern me that several different automakers appear to have RAS with almost (or over) 10 degree of movement while on the taycan it's less than 3 degree? So when I looked at it I kinda thought "eh, what can 2 degree do anyway?" and moved on.

I'm sure I won't miss it (even if only because I haven't experienced it).

If you have money to spare, why not. Otherwise, I would think in other options.

By the way, you're from Australia. I'm pretty sure you guys get screwed over there as the air suspension only has lift and medium there? I think it misses the low setting. That alone might make a few skip the whole air suspension and ras forces one to have it in the configurator.
I both agree with this and also think this applies to every decision on a Taycan, and even which model. An optionless base model Taycan would be great and have every "must have" option already. And it is fast enough. But if you want something faster, you get the S or GTS or Turbo or Turbo S.

The Taycan is plenty maneuverable without RAS. Do you want it to be a bit better? Get the RSA. Want it to handle a little better? Get the PVT+ or the some of the other performance options. I could keep going....

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My BMW X5 g05 had a rear axel steering option and I really liked that. However, when I test drove Cayenne which didn’t had one (and a taycan as well), I was amazed how great those cars handle. It really resembled me RAS, but they didn’t have that. The only option they had is a power steering plus. So I think you’ll be more than fine without ras on Porsche :) but it’s about handling, not about maneuvering on a parking lot, where the difference might be noticeable. But you’ll get used to that quickly
Porsche RAS is very noticeable in low speed maneuvers, like entering/exiting parking lots and parking spaces. Far easier to feel that than it’s impact on handling and high speed transitions.

OP
OP

datal1

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
On order: Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Appreciate all the responses. Convinced me to get RAS now. I would hate to not get it and regret it. Plus I've noticed virtually none of the used Taycans for sale in Aus have RAS as a spec, as it doesn't seem to be a popular option here. It'll at least help me with re-sale down the track as something to differentiate from all the others that'll be on the market.

maxkkk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S MY21
Country flag
Porsche RAS is very noticeable in low speed maneuvers, like entering/exiting parking lots and parking spaces. Far easier to feel that than it’s impact on handling and high speed transitions.
Hehe. Facts are different. Look here -

taycan sport saloon: turning circle without RAS - 11.7m, with RAS - 11.2m.

bmw x5 g05: without RAS - 12.6m, with RAS - ~11.6m.
It’s way more noticeable on a parking lot on X5 than on taycan :) that’s why I said I felt like it has one In terms of handling
And you know what car you need to notice that by 100%? A 7 series long wheel base. I had 740Le before. Oh, it was such a thing there.

Last edited:

mateoosh

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, MB C43
Country flag
I think RAS is 2800€ everywhere 🤣

Regarding it being a must have... That's a complicated question.

It reminds me manual vs automatic cars. For 28 years I resisted to automatics. Even paid extra to have stick shift because in my mind, manual was the only manly way of driving a car. An automatic was just a glorified golf cart. I never had driven an automatic.

The taycan was actually the first "automatic" I drove even if only in a test drive and the physical itch one feels in the left leg when coming to a stop is real but in retrospective, it was a great ride. I won't miss the shift lever for sure.

Back to RAS. Not having it or experienced it makes one feel it's unnecessary or superfluous. I was able to pin park the demo taycan without any RAS (and actually only used the rear camera to see if it was minimally capable) and so I'm sure it is possible to live without it (I didn't option it in my order) but I feel that it is the same situation as with manual vs automatic. Those who don't have it, don't miss it. Those who have, love it.

It did concern me that several different automakers appear to have RAS with almost (or over) 10 degree of movement while on the taycan it's less than 3 degree? So when I looked at it I kinda thought "eh, what can 2 degree do anyway?" and moved on.

I'm sure I won't miss it (even if only because I haven't experienced it).

If you have money to spare, why not. Otherwise, I would think in other options.

By the way, you're from Australia. I'm pretty sure you guys get screwed over there as the air suspension only has lift and medium there? I think it misses the low setting. That alone might make a few skip the whole air suspension and ras forces one to have it in the configurator.
Well, in Poland RAS (packed with power steering plus together) is 2100 Eur :)

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Well, in Poland RAS (packed with power steering plus together) is 2100 Eur :)
That's unfair!

OK. I just checked.

It's €2115.60 + €295.20 so €2410.80 total for RAS and power steering plus

Porsche Taycan RAS when coming from an M5? Screenshot_2023-02-02-15-57-04-74_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12
Sponsored