Rear axle steering

Do you have rear-axle steering, or have you ordered it, or do you plan to order it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
The feature amazes me every time I drive. I am constantly missing the parking spot when I back in because I don't anticipate such a tight circle! :)
Sponsored

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
New owner here. Maybe this is a dumb question but how do I know if I actually have Rear-Axle Steering? I have a TTS so believe it is included standard, right? It is not listed on the sticker/option sheet though. Is it activated in all drive modes?

I just took delivery and have only driven it for a day. It turns fine at low speed in parking lots. I guess about what I’d expect for a car this size. Maybe a bit better, but I don’t find myself saying “wow what a turning radius!” I haven’t had enough time with it I guess to really know and I also haven’t had enough of a chance yet to test it the other way at higher speeds around curves.

I guess I can have someone stand outside while I slowly turn in my driveway and have them tell me if the rear wheels are turning too in order to verify it’s working. Has anybody actually done that?

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I guess I can have someone stand outside while I slowly turn in my driveway and have them tell me if the rear wheels are turning too in order to verify it’s working. Has anybody actually done that?
Should be visible. Just make a slow turn, get out of the car and look at the back wheel...

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
If I recall correctly, it's just degree or two, so it might be hardly visible... I haven't checked visually, but I can see that I'm turning (much) easier then with my previous car (it was about 30cm shorter).

From newsroom:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/taycan/chassis-18561.html

Rear-axle steering is available as an option (standard in the Taycan Turbo S). This further increases comfort, driving safety and driving dynamics. The vehicle steers without delay and builds up lateral acceleration at the rear axle much sooner. The result is even more impressive steering precision.

At low speeds of up to about 50 km/h, the rear wheels steer in the opposite direction to the front wheels. The steering angle depends on the driving speed and is a maximum of 2.8 degrees. This virtual shortening of the wheelbase results in a more dynamic steering response when cornering. At the same time, manoeuvring is easier as the turning circle has been reduced by around 60 centimetres to 11.2 metres. In addition, with rear-axle steering, the Taycan automatically features Power Steering Plus with greater support for steering assistance at low speeds.

At speeds exceeding approximately 50 km/h, the rear wheels steer in the same direction as the front axle, again depending on the speed. The wheelbase is therefore virtually lengthened, thereby increasing stability, for example when changing lanes on the motorway.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
At low speeds of up to about 50 km/h, the rear wheels steer in the opposite direction to the front wheels. The steering angle depends on the driving speed and is a maximum of 2.8 degrees.
I am sure it's clearly visible, when you look from behind along the side of the car.

Reactions: B61

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
New owner here. Maybe this is a dumb question but how do I know if I actually have Rear-Axle Steering? ... I guess I can have someone stand outside while I slowly turn in my driveway and have them tell me if the rear wheels are turning too in order to verify it’s working. Has anybody actually done that?
RWS in action!

Porsche Taycan Rear axle steering 20211011_080534

Straight, cannot see the back wheel.

Porsche Taycan Rear axle steering 20211011_080820

Full turn, and clearly see the back wheel come out.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
In case anyone interested I actually just came across this video, which does an excellent job illustrating how the rear axle steering works. He has cameras mounted to the rear and sides of the car to show the rear axle shift during steering (see starting at about 6:20).

Sponsored