W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Doesn’t PSP just adjust the number of turns of the steering wheel lock-to-lock, whereas the RWS actual shortens the wheelbase (effectively) resulting in a tighter turning circle?
Not quite. Speed sensitive steering so gets firmer at speed and lighter at lower speed.

RAS will reduce turning circle by about 12".
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Not quite. Speed sensitive steering so gets firmer at speed and lighter at lower speed.

FWIW, for me it is much more than simply the turning radius (despite my comments re u-turns :))- RAS provides angles and approaches in tight maneuvering that you simply don't get w/o this option.

Last edited:

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag

Thanks for the clarification :like: - I guess my point is that only RWS changes the effective wheelbase to give you a tighter turning circle.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification :like: - I guess my point is that only RWS changes the effective wheelbase to give you a tighter turning circle.
Correct and dependent on which drive mode you are in the turn can be more pronounced e.g. Sport and Sport Plus but only at speed.

Note that it is not RWS but RAS (axle and not wheel).

mas_gts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
I have one more question for those who have real life experience of RAS. Are there any downside to having it for typical, day to day, non-track usecase? I have heard others say that it can provide strange feel/effect from steering wheel etc. Any truth in that? Thanks!

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have one more question for those who have real life experience of RAS. Are there any downside to having it for typical, day to day, non-track usecase? I have heard others say that it can provide strange feel/effect from steering wheel etc. Any truth in that? Thanks!
Again limited and ongoing experience but honestly not at all - was curious to experience it but much more of an ‘add’ if you will than a detraction or negative experience. Again no regrets whatsoever so far!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No downside whatsoever - you won't notice it s there really.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Doesn’t PSP just adjust the number of turns of the steering wheel lock-to-lock, whereas the RWS actual shortens the wheelbase (effectively) resulting in a tighter turning circle?
Yes, PSP is just old lady steering. RWS give stability during high speed curves and tighter turns at parking speeds. Must have for me.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes, PSP is just old lady steering. RWS give stability during high speed curves and tighter turns at parking speeds. Must have for me.
Sorry, but your description is simply not completely accurate (funny maybe but accurate not) nor does the car have RWS (RAS = Rear Axle Steering). It's no accident that RAS is combined with PSP when optioned.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
RWS (RAS = Rear Axle Steering)
Surely two names for the same thing?

I can't either imagine or have ever seen a rear wheel steering system which didn't turn both wheels, including the one we tested at Benetton with Michael Schumacher.

AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
i was watching a Matt Watson review of the EQS AMG and you could really see the rear wheels turn on that so it’s strange that it would be visually imperceptible on the Taycan. Appreciate different systems but still…
Much higher degree of movement on the merc

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Much higher degree of movement on the merc
The Merc has 2 different amounts of rear steer available at different prices and/or for different markets. The greater one is pretty well purely for manoeuvring the very long wheelbase car.

The Taycan is more about handling and the better manoeuvrability is a bonus.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
The Merc has 2 different amounts of rear steer available at different prices and/or for different markets. The greater one is pretty well purely for manoeuvring the very long wheelbase car.

The Taycan is more about handling and the better manoeuvrability is a bonus.
This shows it well - It is steering the wheel on the rear axle.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This shows it well - It is steering the wheel on the rear axle.
Thx for posting - excellent and exactly describes my experience (earlier in this thread) both in a tight U-Turn and in slow maneuvering - again, a truly worthy add imo.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Sorry, but your description is simply not completely accurate (funny maybe but accurate not) nor does the car have RWS (RAS = Rear Axle Steering). It's no accident that RAS is combined with PSP when optioned.
What do you think is the difference between rear wheel steer and rear axle steering? I’m sure the terms are used interchangeably?

Surely the point is that the rear wheels (axle) turn to either mirror the front wheels (to aid stability) or the opposite way (to increase agility).

On the GT3 there was RWS but not PSP - as far as I am aware they are entirely separate things for entirely separate purposes.

Indeed, I think you can have PSP without RWS on the Taycan, confirming the two systems are unrelated and independent.
Sponsored

Last edited: