Rear door Protective Film from factory?

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1 Series F20, BMW X3 G01, Taycan RWD
Country flag
After I took delivery of my Taycan I noticed that there's a small protective film on the lower part of the rear doors.
I'm about to PPF wrap my Taycan and was wondering if this protective film is removable or if it is supposed to be removed before delivery by the dealership? Or maybe it's part of the rear door and isn't supposed to be removed at all (I don't think so)?
Do you guys have a similar thing on the rear doors?
Picture from a youtube video for reference:

Porsche Taycan Rear door Protective Film from factory? Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 21.39.09
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
It’s standard, for rock chips. You can remove it if you want. Porsche has been doing this on different models for years.

Bakus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi GT
Country flag
It's PPF that is installed in the factory to protect the doors as they are susceptible at this point. I would have this removed prior to PPFing the car as it will look better.

Eknut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Yes this is standard from factory, not supposed to be removed.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I wouldn't remove it. It protects your paint and might even damage it if you try to remove it.

OP
OP
Razor

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn't remove it. It protects your paint and might even damage it if you try to remove it.
Even if I'm going to PPF wrap it? The film is pretty thick compared to XPEL PPF, so I think it might look weird if I wrap on top of it, no?

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Even if I'm going to PPF wrap it? The film is pretty thick compared to XPEL PPF, so I think it might look weird if I wrap on top of it, no?
Oh, right. Yeah double layer would be dumb.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I first tried to ppf on top and it looked horrible with big air gaps all around. Ultimately after talking with my installer we decided to cut around the factory ppf.

If I could do it again, I would 100% insist the factory patches be removed first. The installer was hesitant as he felt the ppf was too thick and was worried it would damage the paint by removing it.

OP
OP
Razor

Razor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I first tried to ppf on top and it looked horrible with big air gaps all around. Ultimately after talking with my installer we decided to cut around the factory ppf.

If I could do it again, I would 100% insist the factory patches be removed first. The installer was hesitant as he felt the ppf was too thick and was worried it would damage the paint by removing it.
That’s what I wanted to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I still didn’t talk to my installer about it yet, but I probably will tell them to take extra precautions when removing it, not to damage the paint. I read online that “experts” remove them with heat.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
After I took delivery of my Taycan I noticed that there's a small protective film on the lower part of the rear doors.
I'm about to PPF wrap my Taycan and was wondering if this protective film is removable or if it is supposed to be removed before delivery by the dealership? Or maybe it's part of the rear door and isn't supposed to be removed at all (I don't think so)?
Do you guys have a similar thing on the rear doors?
Picture from a youtube video for reference:

Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 21.39.09.png
The only thing to be aware of is that unless Porsche upgraded the quality of this film, it begins to yellow and get a bit gunky over the course of a couple of years. Possibly less noticeable on blue paint but very noticeable to those with an eye towards good paint surfaces and PPF. I would not necessarily rip it off tomorrow but know that it may become a weak point in terms of the exterior finish. I have it on my current Porsche and it looks awful to those that know better (like myself).

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
My PPF installer must have removed this oem patch before applying Xpel film to my car, as i do not have this, so i guess it can be removed without hurting the paint underneath.

Last edited:

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Not wanting to hijack this thread - but if the factory protection deteriorates visually in a couple of years - will it still be easily removable then? or might it have 'bonded' to the paint over time?

in which case, for those not having their car PPF'd, it may be prudent to remove it when new? - rather than waiting until it deteriorates and becomes difficult to remove without damaging paint?

cheers

Bakus

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi GT
Country flag
Not wanting to hijack this thread - but if the factory protection deteriorates visually in a couple of years - will it still be easily removable then? or might it have 'bonded' to the paint over time?

in which case, for those not having their car PPF'd, it may be prudent to remove it when new? - rather than waiting until it deteriorates and becomes difficult to remove without damaging paint?

cheers
1 would not remove the factory PPF unless you are intending to have the whole panel PPFed.

Porsche put it there for a reason as there Is a high risk of damage by stones etc.