First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Have a (not so) fun story to share:

I street parked my car in LA a few weeks ago, and when I returned I found someone vandalized the rear window glass, looks like it was shot up by a pellet gun. Weirdly, it could have been much worse but no other body panel or window was shot up 🤔 Til this day I have no idea who did this or why.

Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) FB_IMG_1697488812694

Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) FB_IMG_1697488815183

Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) FB_IMG_1697488817623

Fortunately my car insurance policy has a separate glass replacement policy ($50 deductible for all window replacements due to road related damage or vandalism) so financially wasn't a big fuss. But after filing claim had to wait 2 weeks for the replacement window from Porsche Germany parts warehouse to arrive.
Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) FB_IMG_1697488822160

Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) FB_IMG_1697488819761

Installation of the glass went fine, but in the process of disassembling the rear wiper to remove the glass, the plastic part of the wiper which mounts to the motor snapped and had to be replaced as well. Luckily this was also covered under my glass replacement, so had to wait another few days for a local Porsche dealership parts department to order a new replacement wiper. Got my rear wiper reassembled (20 min job) and my rear window re-tinted again, good as well. 👍🏻
Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) FB_IMG_1697488824935

I asked the glass replacement business how much the out of pocket cost would have been, they estimated parts ($1400) + labor approx $1700-1800.

I'm kind of grateful, having the Turismo rear hatch, it probably made the rear glass replacement 10x easier vs the fixed sedan/saloon glass 🤔

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag

I street parked my car in LA a few weeks ago, and when I returned I found someone vandalized the rear window glass, looks like it was shot up by a pellet gun. Weirdly, it could have been much worse but no other body panel or window was shot up 🤔 Til this day I have no idea who did this or why.

FB_IMG_1697488812694.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488815183.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488817623.jpg

Fortunately my car insurance policy has a separate glass replacement policy ($50 deductible for all window replacements due to road related damage or vandalism) so financially wasn't a big fuss. But after filing claim had to wait 2 weeks for the replacement window from Porsche Germany parts warehouse to arrive.
FB_IMG_1697488822160.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488819761.jpg

Installation of the glass went fine, but in the process of disassembling the rear wiper to remove the glass, the plastic part of the wiper which mounts to the motor snapped and had to be replaced as well. Luckily this was also covered under my glass replacement, so had to wait another few days for a local Porsche dealership parts department to order a new replacement wiper. Got my rear wiper reassembled (20 min job) and my rear window re-tinted again, good as well. 👍🏻
FB_IMG_1697488824935.jpg

I asked the glass replacement business how much the out of pocket cost would have been, they estimated parts ($1400) + labor approx $1700-1800.

I'm kind of grateful, having the Turismo rear hatch, it probably made the rear glass replacement 10x easier vs the fixed sedan/saloon glass 🤔
Some total w@nk@r smashed the rear window on my CT not long after i got it. Did my other car too at same time. They used a rock to discover neither had anything in the back to steal. Your lucky it didn't shatter as the glass granules drop inside the panel, never to be recovered (ie rattles etc).

Anyway, I've been told one of the best ways of getting a laminated windows to shatter is throwing a handful of gravel at it (rather than a big rock). No idea if that's right or not, but it may account for the multiple chips if someone tried and failed.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some total w@nk@r smashed the rear window on my CT not long after i got it. Did my other car too at same time. They used a rock to discover neither had anything in the back to steal. Your lucky it didn't shatter as the glass granules drop inside the panel, never to be recovered (ie rattles etc).

Anyway, I've been told one of the best ways of getting a laminated windows to shatter is throwing a handful of gravel at it (rather than a big rock). No idea if that's right or not, but it may account for the multiple chips if someone tried and failed.
Sorry to hear that happen to you. I tint all my windows so hopefully that interior film would help a bit to hold a lot of glass fragments from entering the car. It was the weirdest vandalism, whoever did it didn't seem to want entry to steal anything, just be a dick.

parkslopedope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 e-tron GT prestige, 08 911 Carerra S
Country flag
Sorry that happened to you, but glad it was a relatively easy fix. Out of curiosity where in LA did this happen?

4NIQUES

First Name
Tennika
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2022 BMW M4 Competitio Convertible
Country flag

FB_IMG_1697488812694.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488815183.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488817623.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488822160.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488819761.jpg

FB_IMG_1697488824935.jpg

I am so sorry this happened to you. Some people are jealous and nasty - ultimately LOSERS!!!

tomdfw1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder
Country flag
Seems more and more that the big cities and their leaders enable this type of crime with little to no punishment. My Cayenne was broken into and we identified the man that did it and was known to do smash and grabs and then try to buy gift cards at the local grocery store. The store manager told police exactly who he was but Dallas police told me to take it up with insurance.

Bottom line this defund police and sympathy for hooligans has gone way too far! Thieves and bad actors think this is fun because there are no ramifications! I literally won't go to Dallas unless I have to and only then in my worst car.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry that happened to you, but glad it was a relatively easy fix. Out of curiosity where in LA did this happen?
DTLA, I knew it really went down the toilet post pandemic but I thought I parked in a relatively safe location.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
DTLA, I knew it really went down the toilet post pandemic but I thought I parked in a relatively safe location.
Sorry this happened to you. I'm driving to downtown Los Angeles (DTLA) next May to judge at the International Science and Engineering Fair. Protected parking, whether at an Airbnb or a hotel, will be a must.

parkslopedope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 e-tron GT prestige, 08 911 Carerra S
Country flag
Ah, okay not surprised, unfortunately. My Buddy had the front grille stolen off of his X5 in the arts district, which is supposed to be the nice part of DTLA, he was parked there on a Sunday morning watching football. He now spends the extra money to valet the car in DTLA and he works down there, smh.
Unfortunate that it's come to that for some peace of mind.

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Confirming the replacement cost. Had to replace rear window in my 2021 Sedan and it was $1,836 installed.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A lot of people I shared the story and photos were convinced someone was trying to do a smash N grab on my rear hatch using a center punch tool but due to the glass being laminated and sound insulated, it wouldn't shatter like regular car safety glass. I guess multiple attempts were made until whoever gave up and moved on.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When washing my car I checked the rear tire wear and found they already hit the wear bars at 17K miles.

Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) PSX_20231018_141059

My car came with Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S and I've been wanting to ditch them for some proper summer performance rubber for a while.

Called up my local go to tire shop and ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 summer tires:

Porsche Taycan Rear window vandalized (pics) PSX_20231018_140900

So far road noise and ride comfort are excellent, and once I've driven a couple hundred miles I plan to drive them harder to see how much better cornering grip is. From what I've read and testimonials from other Taycan owners the PS4 grip is great and just fractionally less than the Michelin PS4S tires, but with superior road noise, treadwear and rolling resistance for efficiency 👍🏼