Renegotiate pricing?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I really can’t see how one can’t go used at this point, unless you like burning lots of $ - but that’s just me 🤷‍♂️
Well the obvious reason is to get exactly what you want. Finding a used or dealer inventory Taycan that meets your ideal spec is nigh impossible. You always have to compromise, paying for something you wouldn’t have optioned, and missing things you would have.
Sponsored

FrozenBerries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Well the obvious reason is to get exactly what you want. Finding a used or dealer inventory Taycan that meets your ideal spec is nigh impossible. You always have to compromise, paying for something you wouldn’t have optioned, and missing things you would have.
Yep this is the main thing for me. Cross Turismos are just not as common as the sedans, especially those in the color I want (see my username :p).

dstepin92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan RWD
Country flag
I really can’t see how one can’t go used at this point, unless you like burning lots of $ - but that’s just me 🤷‍♂️
In general I would agree, but there's nothing quite like your butt cheeks being the first to wear in the seats.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I am OCD, can’t buy a 3/6 month used car. There is always a small scratch here and there. There are always light scratches on the door sills and plastic interior parts and the leather slightly worn. I am happy if I scratch myself my car and I can leave with that. And that first fart when you buy new…priceless

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Further, if your car is delayed into the following year, there is no price lock.
Can you provide some more information there? Are you saying Porsche has raised prices on people after the build was frozen with all the options? Or are you saying if you get on a waitlist, and don’t get an allocation until a new MY, you just pay the new MY price?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No downside to renegotiating.
Not necessarily true. There could be a down side. The OP has a custom order with a frozen spec. Typically that is a non-refundable deposit, but OP says California laws has a loophole for cars, that customers can order custom cars and leave the dealer on the hook for the entire price of it.

So given this loophole, renegotiating does give the buyer and advantage, but remember that the dealer could also just cancel/change the order instead if it’s early enough in the process. That could be a down side.

If the car is almost delivered, the dealer also knows they have the exact car the customer wants, so they can play that card - yes sir, we understand you want to cancel your 5% off order and start negotiations from scratch - my manager says MSRP. What’s that, you wish to negotiate?

If they actually think they can sell the car for 5% off MSPR, they will just tell the customer - we understand, we cancelled your order, here is your deposit back. Your cancelled order car is now for sale at MSRP, going down 0.25% per week. You will be able to buy it for 10%off in 40 weeks, unless it sells before then.

Personally I negotiate hard, have made some great deals on cars in my life, but I stick to agreements or contracts I sign/make. I don’t screw people unless they screw me first. Maybe I’m just an old fashioned dinosaur.

TaycanCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MG 4S CT
Country flag
Can you provide some more information there? Are you saying Porsche has raised prices on people after the build was frozen with all the options? Or are you saying if you get on a waitlist, and don’t get an allocation until a new MY, you just pay the new MY price?
If you ordered a 2023, for some reason it comes as a 2024, you will get 2024 pricing. It's up to the dealers whim to decide to honor original pricing or not.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
If you ordered a 2023, for some reason it comes as a 2024, you will get 2024 pricing. It's up to the dealers whim to decide to honor original pricing or not.
Note that Porsche dealers have to pay Porsche for the cars so their cost/price is a consideration with regards to any discount, there may be a restriction in process where Porsche production automatically prices vehicles by date and the dealers don’t have a say except their profit margin, Porsche corporate is a different business to the dealers.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think that’s true. If you get a model year X allocation, order spec freezes, you got a contract for a specific car at a specific price. They don’t automatically convert it to model year X+1, remove any discontinued options, raise price, etc. I think you are referring to a situation where you get on a waitlist for an allocation and you don’t get one for the current year.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don’t think that’s true. If you get a model year X allocation, order spec freezes, you got a contract for a specific car at a specific price. They don’t automatically convert it to model year X+1, remove any discontinued options, raise price, etc. I think you are referring to a situation where you get on a waitlist for an allocation and you don’t get one for the current year.
No, that’s incorrect. You pay for the car you buy, regardless of when the allocation was received. Dealers will typically warn you of this if your build is near the production end, but either way, you pay the price of the model year you buy. Of course, your dealer may give you a break if there was a mixup, but it’s unlikely. This comes up all the time.

Now, depending on local laws, it may get you out of your purchase contract, but the dealer will not simply give you the prior model year price.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, that’s incorrect. You pay for the car you buy, regardless of when the allocation was received. Dealers will typically warn you of this if your build is near the production end, but either way, you pay the price of the model year you buy. Of course, your dealer may give you a break if there was a mixup, but it’s unlikely. This comes up all the time.

Now, depending on local laws, it may get you out of your purchase contract, but the dealer will not simply give you the prior model year price.
An allocation is for a specific model year, it doesn’t magically change to a new model year. The allocation number in the US starts with a letter indicating model year. If you got all the way to design freeze, your model year will not be changing unless they cancel your allocation and give you a new one. MSRP is also frozen together with the design.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know what to tell you. This is a problem that we saw during the supply crunch.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/2021-2022-model-change-over.6166/page-2
I still think people are confusing initial deposit, order freeze and delivery. You are telling me someone who ordered a mamba green MY23 Taycan can be surprised at delivery time with MY24 in one of the other colors (since there is no mamba green in MY24)? The post you linked was on Aug 14 that the deliver moved from aug 3 to sept 17 - delivery delay does not change model year, it’s even encoded in the VIN. I suspect the MY change occurred before the order freeze, so no surprises.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
An allocation is for a specific model year, it doesn’t magically change to a new model year. The allocation number in the US starts with a letter indicating model year. If you got all the way to design freeze, your model year will not be changing unless they cancel your allocation and give you a new one. MSRP is also frozen together with the design.
Again, you are wrong. Allocations close to production end sometimes roll over to the next model year due to production issues. I had this happen on cars I’ve ordered, as have many others. It’s very common. The fact that you don’t know this tells me that you’re new to Porsche.

I went through this with my GT4.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Again, you are wrong. Allocations close to production end sometimes roll over to the next model year due to production issues. I had this happen on cars I’ve ordered, as have many others. It’s very common. The fact that you don’t know this tells me that you’re new to Porsche.

I went through this with my GT4.
Ok. I could be wrong, but trying to understand what happens. So what happens after your frozen design mamba green MY23 Taycan gets rolled over to MY24? Do they tell you your MY23 is no longer available and you can now configure a new MY24, or do they automatically roll it over to either a random color or they tack on PTS+ price to keep it mamba green?
Sponsored