Feedback on Pricing Offer

Lefty8235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, BMW M8GC, RSQ8, RS e-tron GT
Country flag
Hey All. New to the forum. Looking at MY'24 Turbo S, well spec'd. Dealer offering 15% off sticker for EOY purchase or lease. Curious what you all think here. Here are some of the specs:

- Black on black
- Innodrive
- Massage seats
- Burmester stereo
- Night vision
- Pretty much all packages...

$231k sticker. $196k 15% off.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Inventory.
Historically speaking, this is a good price. There is a “how low can you go” question based on the fact that cars like this that start with a “2” can sit in dealer inventory for a long time….carrying costs are high these days. If you compare to a 1-2 year old similar car, you could save another $50k. While the price is good, can you justify the additional cost?

OP
OP

Lefty8235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Historically speaking, this is a good price. There is a “how low can you go” question based on the fact that cars like this that start with a “2” can sit in dealer inventory for a long time….carrying costs are high these days. If you compare to a 1-2 year old similar car, you could save another $50k. While the price is good, can you justify the additional cost?

I appreciate that there are options for CPO, etc, that capture the depreciation in a better way for the same car. I also appreciate that Turbo, GTS, and even 4S give very strong alternatives.

So you're opinion is that on a new car the 15% is at least competitive to the trend? Trading a car I've only had for a year so I'm eating it on the back end.

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
If you keep buy and keep the Taycan Turbo S less than ten years, you’ll be “eating it on the back end” all over again.

Unless you’re looking for this exact specification, it might be worth looking at the used market to see how much premium you’re paying to save 15%. It’s not as if a MY24 is significantly different/better than a MY23, MY22, etc.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
At one point I was offered $30k off a $160k MSRP Audi eTron RS GT -- so basically the nearly same car (I think the Turbo/S and the RS eTron GT share enough to be called an apples to apples comparison). Of that discount I do think a few grand was a Costco benefit, FYI. Based on that, I was 20% off MSRP; didn't buy as the color was not my preference. Ended up with a used Taycan 4CT -- but I digress.

I think you should be able to get closer to 20% off MSRP right now in this market. As others noted, a 1yr old car of the same specs seem to be fetching easily 25% depreciation on the retail/used market, especially if a CPO. I'd push for a touch more.

PS: Here in Ohio you only save sales tax trading in for a new car. My tax rate in my county is 8% -- so if I had a $50,000 trade on a ~$200k purchase (new), I'd save $4,000 making my trade-in effectively $54k value. However in Ohio that is not applicable to used cars, giving the new car some advantage. Something to consider, if New York is the same.

OP
OP

Lefty8235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Helpful. Appreciate everyone's feedback here.

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
Do it, it is a nice offer! Try the hardest for 20% discount - just to try -, if you fail sign the 15%. It is a very expensive Taycan, so they will not sell it fast, you can use that against them.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I appreciate that there are options for CPO, etc, that capture the depreciation in a better way for the same car. I also appreciate that Turbo, GTS, and even 4S give very strong alternatives.

So you're opinion is that on a new car the 15% is at least competitive to the trend? Trading a car I've only had for a year so I'm eating it on the back end.
Yes. This is competitive.…a car closer to base spec probably has 15% margin. A higher spec like this probably has 20% (or slightly higher). They are close to break even….with a little in it for the salesperson. With this much money involved, I would prefer to choose my exact spec. If not, I personally would go with a CPO example. That said, they are not “taking advantage” here. This is a play to limit their losses.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
My gut tells me to be firm for 20% discount and don't take a dime less. The news is out on the TS and its horrible depreciation curve. Also, its not that these cars are in demand at the moment, and winter is here.
Personally, it would be a no brainer for me - buy pre-owned. Why throw $50k away just for the pleasure of that "new' feeling for few months. These cars drive the same with 10 miles or 40k on them. The seats even become more comfortable with age, kind of like a fine wine.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
OP, I sort of differ from those suggesting you go used... depending on your situation. Let me start by saying that I've purchased my last two cars used, which allowed me to get more car for my budget. I found vehicles close enough to what I would have spec'd myself and was willing to live with the small sacrifices.

Having said that, one of the really cool things about Porsche is that you can configure your new car with exactly the options and a la carte add-ons you wish and make it exactly yours. That wasn't a priority for me with a Taycan but could be to others. If you fit this category and, most importantly, you have the budget to buy new, I don't see anything wrong with choosing the options and packages that get you exactly what you want.

Just make sure you enjoy the drive once it's yours!
Sponsored