Request for OBDII SoH from USA Taycan mbrs.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Hey all - we currently have SoH data on 19 cars with 26 readouts of which almost ALL are from northern Europe! TaycanCook and I are literally the only US based Forum users who have contributed to date.

So if you have an OBDII tool such as VGate's vLinker MC+ or similar we'd love to have the following info to add to our spreadsheet here #1

Mileage
Soh
Model
Model Year
Build date
Location (State)

Quick repost of the SoH chart as is - continuously updated in this thread #1

Porsche Taycan Request for OBDII SoH from USA Taycan mbrs. Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 4.18.55 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Especially interested in getting more readouts from southern states (i.e. cars in higher temp environments) - the OBDII tool is a great way to check your SoH and a ton more parameters in your car.

TTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It’s possible to read with vcds?

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
What is actually the meaning of SoH ?
Is this the percentage of capacity of the battery compared to the advertised maximum ?
If the SoH is 90%, does it actually mean the capacity at 100% is now 90% ?

If my battery is 79kwh, and 6kwh is reserved to protect the battery (right?). I have 73kwh available.
At a SoH of 90%, I have only 73*0.9= 65.7 kwh available. Is that the correct interpretation of the SoH value ?

That would mean that if I drive at 21 kwh/100km, I would get a range of 65.7*100/21 kwh=312km.
That looks rather pessimistic.

Or should I take 90% of 79kwh ?

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What is actually the meaning of SoH ?
Is this the percentage of capacity of the battery compared to the advertised maximum ?
If the SoH is 90%, does it actually mean the capacity at 100% is now 90% ?

If my battery is 79kwh, and 6kwh is reserved to protect the battery (right?). I have 73kwh available.
At a SoH of 90%, I have only 73*0.9= 65.7 kwh available. Is that the correct interpretation of the SoH value ?

That would mean that if I drive at 21 kwh/100km, I would get a range of 65.7*100/21 kwh=312km.
That looks rather pessimistic.

Or should I take 90% of 79kwh ?
As I mentioned in the original SoH post (here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-on-delivery.12815/post-190348 ), the assumption (of everyone I’ve asked to date) of % SoH is that it represents the percentage of usable (‘available’) battery so indeed, for example, for a 93.4kW performance plus battery, the usable amount is in fact 83.7kW and thus the SoH % would use 83.7 as 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
I think it’s 71 kWh user-accessible on the smaller battery.
To my understanding this was indeed the initial value in 2020. But in the meantime this was increased to 73 kwh with software updates.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
As I mentioned in the original SoH post (here https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-on-delivery.12815/post-190348 ), the assumption (of everyone I’ve asked to date) of % SoH is that it represents the percentage of usable (‘available’) battery so indeed, for example, for a 93.4kW performance plus battery, the usable amount is in fact 83.7kW and thus the SoH % would use 83.7 as 100%.
I have the feeling that this is too pessimistic compared to the reality.
If you count with this as the real battery capacity and divide it by the consumption per mile/km, you get very pessimistic range predictions.
I am interested to know if others have the same feeling or if somebody can prove this with real consumption and range numbers.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
To my understanding this was indeed the initial value in 2020. But in the meantime this was increased to 73 kwh with software updates.
Ah ok, I hadn’t seen that. Thanks.

edit: actually, @ben1, I can’t find any sources for that. Do you have a source for the higher user accessible battery energy? Thanks.

Last edited:

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag

edit: actually, @ben1, I can’t find any sources for that. Do you have a source for the higher user accessible battery energy? Thanks.
I searched for it too. And I cannot find it. But I am quite sure I read that somewhere.

If it is really only 71kwh, then only 63.9 kwh is available at 90% SoH.
That would mean that you would only get 300km at 21 kwh/100km. (=63 * 100/21=300 km)
That would be even more pessimistic. That makes me believe that the interpretation of SoH or the buffers or the consumption estimates are not correct.

OP
OP
ciaranob

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I searched for it too. And I cannot find it. But I am quite sure I read that somewhere.

If it is really only 71kwh, then only 63.9 kwh is available at 90% SoH.
That would mean that you would only get 300km at 21 kwh/100km. (=63 * 100/21=300 km)
That would be even more pessimistic. That makes me believe that the interpretation of SoH or the buffers or the consumption estimates are not correct.
So my car with 93.4 KW PB+ is running at ca 37 kWh/100 miles - using the 83.7 actual available battery yields ca 227 mile range which is actually more than original Porsche predicted range for my new build car!

Real world consumption figures (vs the ever changing predicted ranges) in the car do vary from this (as I would expect). My car when new started out with lower max ranges (range mode and AC off) than 227 and gradually improved to max ever seen ‘predicted’ ranges by end of summer exceeding 50 miles more than thus number.

Have not done the math but of the top of the head the average MAX (again in range mode and no AC) ‘predicted’ range winter and summer maybe 240-245 miles I.e. 13-18 miles more than the basic SoH calculation. Again that is ‘predicted’ ranges not actual consumptive miles driven. In either case, to my mind then the SoH mileage calculation seems right in line.

PS: BTW here is an older thread that touches on usable vs total battery also:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...kwh-battery-after-30-000-km.8558/#post-124264

Last edited:

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
So my car with 93.4 KW PB+ is running at ca 37 kWh/100 miles - using the 83.7 actual available battery yields ca 227 mile range which is actually more than original Porsche predicted range for my new build car!

Real world consumption figures (vs the ever changing predicted ranges) in the car do vary from this (as I would expect). My car when new started out with lower max ranges (range mode and AC off) than 227 and gradually improved to max ever seen ‘predicted’ ranges by end of summer exceeding 50 miles more than thus number.

Have not done the math but of the top of the head the average MAX (again in range mode and no AC) ‘predicted’ range winter and summer maybe 240-245 miles I.e. 13-18 miles more than the basic SoH calculation. Again that is ‘predicted’ ranges not actual consumptive miles driven. In either case, to my mind then the SoH mileage calculation seems right in line.

PS: BTW here is an older thread that touches on usable vs total battery also:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...kwh-battery-after-30-000-km.8558/#post-124264
Ok, thanks for the info.
Maybe you are right indeed that the SoH needs to be interpreted like that.
That means that the real usable battery capacity is really very limited compared to the advertised value. After 6 years and a SoH of 90% you can expect a real capacity of 63.9kwh instead of 79 kwh. That is a big difference, but probably correct.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag

I wrote 73kwh. But it was +3kwh. So the total increased from 71kwh to 74kwh.

I checked this now using an odbII dongle.
I read the SoH percentage and the current energy capacity.
With these to number I can calculate the reference value of what the battery should have been at 100% SoH.
In my case, with the 79kwh battery, I get a number around 74kwh.
The reported current energy capacity isn't always exactly the same. It tends to move depending on the SoC. But I always end up with numbers around 74kwh. Not at all 71 kwh.

That is the initial 71kwh + 3kwh extra.

Which seems to be in line with this comment too:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/baseline-for-hv-battery-soh-on-delivery.12815/post-202910
Where @rs38 also refers to a 3kwh margin.
Sponsored