Retrofit Macan Camera?

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m getting two recalls done on my 4S and Im driving a Macan loaner. One thing is infinitely better: the rearview camera. Anybody knows if it can be retrofitted to the Taycan?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I’m getting two recalls done on my 4S and Im driving a Macan loaner. One thing is infinitely better: the rearview camera. Anybody knows if it can be retrofitted to the Taycan?
I don’t get why people have issues with the cameras.

I had a Macan Turbo for 3 years and the cameras (360 / Pana) on the Taycan are superior in every way.

Seems to be a common US complaint for whatever reason - perhaps folk aren’t switching from fisheye to normal when needed?

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
I don't understand either. Camera is fine, looks similar to my 991.2 gt3, which I use to back into my garage and onto a lift all the time.

soawjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, BMW 230i convertible
Country flag
I don’t get why people have issues with the cameras.

I had a Macan Turbo for 3 years and the cameras (360 / Pana) on the Taycan are superior in every way.

Seems to be a common US complaint for whatever reason - perhaps folk aren’t switching from fisheye to normal when needed?
I very rarely use the individual cameras anyway. i optioned the surround view and I think it's brilliant, probably my favourite 'functional' option. Obviously my favourite overall option is the Mission Es but that's just my shallowness, favouring aesthetics over function 😃

OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Im sorry but it’s totally garbage. Any other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi I can park within an inch of an object. On the Taycan it’s a drunk wasted fish eye crappy low resolution image. Side to side with my other cars it’s junk.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Im sorry but it’s totally garbage. Any other Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi I can park within an inch of an object. On the Taycan it’s a drunk wasted fish eye crappy low resolution image. Side to side with my other cars it’s junk.
Panamera, Macan, Taycan - all simple to park and never had an issue / challenge - includes parking Taycan in a 7m space (closed on one side between two pillars) in one single reversing manoeuvre and driving into a garage opening which is 12” wider (6” either side) than the car - so I repeat, I don’t get what this issue is really.

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
Moving from an Audi A4 to the Taycan camera was a huge shock to me. I thought it was so bad. It was really hard to back it into my tight garage etc.

Somehow it was in the Panorama view and once I selected the Parking view it was so much better.

Porsche Taycan Retrofit Macan Camera? {filename}
Parking
Switch view by tapping the front or rear camera symbol.
Porsche Taycan Retrofit Macan Camera? {filename}
Panorama
Switch view by tapping the front or rear camera symbol.

Not that it is the best camera I have had but it is good enough now.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I totally agree. For those who don't think so must not have owned any other makes of vehicles before. Everytime I glance over at the screen when backing up I flinched thinking I was going to hit something. I've even switched to the other non-fish eye mode, and it's not much better if at all. It's a total junk, but luckily it's the only complaint I have on this car.

OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
100% correct. 2 different garbages.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
100% correct. 2 different garbages.
I only hear the ‘garbage’ call from our US friends (as mentioned earlier) - we Brits are made of sterner stuff and just accept / get on with it (still not accepting the cameras are ‘garbage’ as they patently are not).

drkgt3rs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3RS
Country flag
I agree

OP
OP
Silveral

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Any chance it’s a different camera? I see tens of posts complaining from US based Taycaneers. It wouldn’t be the first time we get sub-par product. Think about the first A8 multi led lights. We never got them here

spicyypenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (ordered)
Country flag
I agree with the negative sentiments here about the Taycan's camera.

I have a GTS coming in a few months, I was definitely letdown by how bad/unhelpful the camera was during my initial test drives - especially coming from a BMW 3 and 5 series.

The quality (resolution and clarity) seems fine, it's mainly the amount of distortion and "fisheye" effect that makes it hard to tell how close you are to your surroundings. It seems like this is something they can fix with a software update but doesn't seem to be a priority for Porsche.

LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had to move my 2016 Chevy Silverado this morning. Threw it into reverse and thought "wow that camera looks good!"

The crappy camera on the Taycan is a sore spot for me for. But still, I drive the Taycan to work now, and not the truck. So I guess it's not TOO bad. Haha
Sponsored