Ride height when parked

tennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Lotus Elise, Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Hi all,

Had my Taycan for six months and 3,800 miles in, loving it so far.

One fairly tiny issue that is bugging me more than it should, though.

When I drive home, go round the back of the house navigating a gravel driveway and do a 3 point turn (so the car is facing the right way to leave later) the car always appears to be in lift mode - leaving a large gap above the wheels - the rear wheel gap looks particularly bad. This has happened when I come home with wife and child in the car - so one backseat occupied (and thus door opened for child to get out).

Even if I manually make sure it's in 'low' it makes no difference. If I force it to lift I hear the hydraulics and feel it lift, then press low and I think it only ever drops it to medium - which just doesn't look good.

I know when I parked it on the street the other day it remained in low (and looked considerably more badass). Note - only I was in the car on that occaision.

Why is it remaining in med/high mode when I park around the back of my house? Could it be:

1: It doesn't like all the slow speed manoeuvring I am doing and thinks there might be obstacles (seems like a bit of a long shot)
2: It does't like parking with passengers in the back - so if they open the door during/after a parking sequence it raises the suspension?
3: My car has a fault meaning it ignores the button press to lower the car.

Has anyone else replicated this? I'm particularly interested about the rear door theory.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi all,

Had my Taycan for six months and 3,800 miles in, loving it so far.

One fairly tiny issue that is bugging me more than it should, though.

When I drive home, go round the back of the house navigating a gravel driveway and do a 3 point turn (so the car is facing the right way to leave later) the car always appears to be in lift mode - leaving a large gap above the wheels - the rear wheel gap looks particularly bad. This has happened when I come home with wife and child in the car - so one backseat occupied (and thus door opened for child to get out).

Even if I manually make sure it's in 'low' it makes no difference. If I force it to lift I hear the hydraulics and feel it lift, then press low and I think it only ever drops it to medium - which just doesn't look good.

I know when I parked it on the street the other day it remained in low (and looked considerably more badass). Note - only I was in the car on that occaision.

Why is it remaining in med/high mode when I park around the back of my house? Could it be:

1: It doesn't like all the slow speed manoeuvring I am doing and thinks there might be obstacles (seems like a bit of a long shot)
2: It does't like parking with passengers in the back - so if they open the door during/after a parking sequence it raises the suspension?
3: My car has a fault meaning it ignores the button press to lower the car.

Has anyone else replicated this? I'm particularly interested about the rear door theory.
Sounds like it's the self leveling if parking on uneven or sloping ground. This also explains the passenger situation - normal behaviour on the Taycan and any other car with air suspension.

If the suspensions lifts and lowers then unlikely there is a fault.

If the ride height is not lit up blue then the car should be in normal height.

Sometimes I forget to lower the car after smartlift activates to raise the car over a speed bumps and then immediately park - perhaps that's an explanation?

If in doubt get it checked by your dealer.

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

tennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it's 'self levelling' that sounds very odd as the gravel drive way is flat (as are all gravel driveways, otherwise the gravel would roll down the hill...) and even.

It shows as 'low' on the screen, and I can change between modes. Maybe I need to get my wife to tell me what is going on with the ride height from outside as I can't see the rear when I'm sat inside. I don't understand why it would be overruling me when I click 'low'.

It does look rubbish as it is, so it's quite annoying.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Does the car have your driveway saved as a GPS location to activate 'lift' mode? Perhaps delete all the lift mode locations and see if it solves it.

Reactions: B61

neilj007

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Macan, Renault Zoe
Country flag
Does the car have your driveway saved as a GPS location to activate 'lift' mode? Perhaps delete all the lift mode locations and see if it solves it.
As part of the saving as a GPS location, do you not only have to activate lift but also de-activate when over the hump?

OP
OP

tennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It did ask me if I wanted to store it when I manually tapped lift the other day (so I assume it isn't stored), but I'll try deleting and see if that helps when I'm back home.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
If I understood you correctly, you change to Gravel mode?
It did ask me if I wanted to store it when I manually tapped lift the other day (so I assume it isn't stored), but I'll try deleting and see if that helps when I'm back home.
That's it.
You saved location, so it's logical why it's lifted.
@Boss Hogg was right and that was my first thought as well, then I said (to myself), nah, he didn't do that...

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As part of the saving as a GPS location, do you not only have to activate lift but also de-activate when over the hump?
Nope, it deactivates automatically when you start driving.

OP
OP

tennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If I understood you correctly, you change to Gravel mode?
I don't have a gravel mode (I have the 4 door).

That's it.
You saved location, so it's logical why it's lifted.
@Boss Hogg was right and that was my first thought as well, then I said (to myself), nah, he didn't do that...
No, I didn't save. And I assume it only asked me if I'd like to save location if I *hadn't* previously stored it, so I very much doubt it was every stored as somewhere to put the car in lift.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
@tennis: then, I don't know... storing GPS (when lifted) is the only logical explanation... especially, if it happen only in this location.

OP
OP

tennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tennis: then, I don't know... storing GPS (when lifted) is the only logical explanation... especially, if it happen only in this location.
I'll clear the list when I'm back to be sure, but I am near certain that isn't the reason as I am near certain the location isn't stored. Would be nice if it is, though.

And even if it is, it's pretty bad that there's apparently no way to override it aside from wiping the whole database of locations -since it ignores button inputs manually turning lift mode off...

Which is why I think it's more to do with passengers and/or self levelling...
Sponsored