Old man

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross Turismo 2022 VWSportwagen TDI 20
Country flag
I haven't heard of any after market tech. I did, coincidentally, once own a Cadillac ELR with the noise canceling apparatus but I could not tell how well it worked as there was no way to toggle it on and off. My guess is that it works OK, but nothing really amazing. With the ELR, when I ran out of battery, an ICE electric generator came to life and I could always hear it whining in the background.
My Air Pods have noise cancellation. It seems like a clever audio engineer could come up with a way to use the speakers in the car to do noise cancellation. Or maybe not since it doesn’t seem to be available ☹
Sponsored

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
My Air Pods have noise cancellation. It seems like a clever audio engineer could come up with a way to use the speakers in the car to do noise cancellation. Or maybe not since it doesn’t seem to be available ☹
One would think that clever lads could accomplish this feat but they haven't yet. I looked into sound cancellation tech a few years ago for my factory, which contains some pretty noisy machines, and there were no good solutions to be found. So for the time being, my approach is to insulate the heck out of the Taycan. As an update, I received my non-professional grade $50 decibel meter from Amazon and believe that I confirmed one of my theories, i.e. that road/tire noise is indeed coming in through the front doors. The readings were consistently ~3 db higher when I put my meter in close proximity to the door panels. My meter is likely not all that precise, but it seems consistent with other published db readings for the Taycan (something around 68/69 db at 70 mph). If I can get into the low 60s at 70mph with 21 inch Mission E's, I will consider that to be a great technological triumph! According to the dude who wrote the attached link, it is possible to achieve 8-12 db reduction with professionally installed sound deadening materials. Also interesting is that a proper noise insulation install will provide the added benefit of thermal insulation which could come in handy for extending range on a cold winter day.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/expl...ional 3M DBA installation,only 1/10th as loud.

Old man

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross Turismo 2022 VWSportwagen TDI 20
Country flag
One would think that clever lads could accomplish this feat but they haven't yet. I looked into sound cancellation tech a few years ago for my factory, which contains some pretty noisy machines, and there were no good solutions to be found. So for the time being, my approach is to insulate the heck out of the Taycan. As an update, I received my non-professional grade $50 decibel meter from Amazon and believe that I confirmed one of my theories, i.e. that road/tire noise is indeed coming in through the front doors. The readings were consistently ~3 db higher when I put my meter in close proximity to the door panels. My meter is likely not all that precise, but it seems consistent with other published db readings for the Taycan (something around 68/69 db at 70 mph). If I can get into the low 60s at 70mph with 21 inch Mission E's, I will consider that to be a great technological triumph! According to the dude who wrote the attached link, it is possible to achieve 8-12 db reduction with professionally installed sound deadening materials. Also interesting is that a proper noise insulation install will provide the added benefit of thermal insulation which could come in handy for extending range on a cold winter day.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/exploring-world-car-sound-deadening-for-garden-and-automobiles-s2ibf#:~:text=A professional 3M DBA installation,only 1/10th as loud.
Please keep us updated on your project. I did read another theory that major “
noise leak” was through the floor as you also mentioned.
Sponsored