Road trip planning

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did a bit of search and could not find any discussions on planing a road trip. I’d like to drive the 4s from central NJ to Marco Island Fl. Im thinking it might be misguided to just use the navigation and should do a bit more thorough job on where to charge what’s available and where to lodge overnight (so,I can charge).

I’m sure there are some apps, web sites, etc but has anyone here done such planning? If I’ve missed the thread please pint me to it.
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I did a bit of search and could not find any discussions on planing a road trip. I’d like to drive the 4s from central NJ to Marco Island Fl. Im thinking it might be misguided to just use the navigation and should do a bit more thorough job on where to charge what’s available and where to lodge overnight (so,I can charge).

I’m sure there are some apps, web sites, etc but has anyone here done such planning? If I’ve missed the thread please pint me to it.

The only apps you need are A Better Route Planner and Plug Share. Between those two, and the navigation system on the Taycan, you can get pretty much anywhere in the US, except for most parts of North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, or western Montana.

The Electrify America app will show you that I-95 is pretty saturated with chargers, so you should not worry at all about making that particular trip.

there is also a great thread on the site with Dave's input on what "the charging tool kit" should include to cover for most eventualities while on the road. I recommend that one as well.

Enjoy the drive!

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Download from the App Store, A Better Route Planner (ABRP). I learned about this from others in the forum and it's s a handy app that more intelligently displays various charging options.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

the app in the car is ok, it will sometimes offer bad routings, the best thing to is to plan the routings beforehand.
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ is a great resource
as is this one
https://www.plugshare.com/trip-planner.html

then there are google, apple maps and run waze in carplay for routings and alerts.

one trick that I use while on the road is to enter the next charge stop into your maps and hop from charger to charger, run your map aps via carplay concurrently with the car's nav system which will prevent the porsche ap from giving you bad routings.

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Yeah, first off is your trip is likely to be mostly I-95, so you will be totally fine. Use PlugShare to better plan your trip. It does a better job as it allows you to input the actual real world range of the Taycan (use 270-280 for full charge in the app). ABRP uses the 200 mile EPA range, so it has you stopping far more than you should on longer trips. What will happen is ABRP will tell you to stop and charge and your battery, and estimate that it should be at 19% when you stop, but when you get to the charger, you’ll have like 30% or 40% and could have gone to like the next charger 50-80 miles further along pretty easily. ABRP does however find better routes if you need to go off the beaten path, so I tend To use a combo of them both. The built in Nav is not good at all, just avoid it when possible.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
At the risk of stating the obvious: charging at the hotel overnight can really really reduce stress at the start of they and save you a 30 min stop (~20 min of charging + 2x 3-5 min of detour).
But not every hotel has chargers, and not every hotel with chargers meets your criteria...

So I've found having a look at the options and then picking a route sometimes results in a different route and different fast charging stops.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A completely different option: drive to Lorton VA and take the Amtrak Auto Train that departs daily at 4 pm and arrives at 9 am the next morning in Sanford FL. You can get a cabin with private bathroom/shower and meals are included. BTW I found out the hard way that if the crew doesn’t see a key lock on the car door, they leave the driver’s window open and the interior gets dirty. On the way back I signed a three page waiver to get them to close the window. (Possibly could have showed them the key lock hidden under the door handle instead.)

Over the July 4th weekend I drove 1,100 miles round trip Virginia/Michigan using just the Porsche Intelligent Range Manager and it was flawless, although your experience may vary depending on settings and route. I tried out ABRP and found it too cumbersome compared to PIRM.
Sponsored