DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Great report. Which app you used to generate stats ? And also why first charge took 27 minutes at full speed? Did you charge to 100% ?
Re: the app, see prior post - thanks for the interest!

Pulling up my log, that charge was from 28%->90%.
It really slows down substantially after 85% or so.
"Full speed" is always at the first part of the charge.

My rule of thumb is "leave when the charge planner says it's ok" but sometimes I will add an extra 20 miles worth if I'm concerned.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm interested in your charging stop strategy.

Once you were out of the Dallas area, were the 5 EA sites you stopped at the only 5 along your route, or were there were additional ones that you skipped?
I pre-planned with ABRP, but the Porsche charging planner selected the exact same chargers.

If you had been unable to charge at all at one of the EA sites - example no stations working - what was your backup plan? Enough range to make it to next EA site, use level 2, or ?
I researched a little bit ahead of time to make sure I had some worst-case scenarios as fallback (finding a level 2 then limping to a better DC charger, etc.) I also have the Porsche charger in the trunk and could find a 110 outlet somewhere as an absolute worst case.

So far in my thousands of miles road tripping this thing, I've never needed a fallback.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
This is a great recap and glad to read an overall positive experience with the EA chargers. Do you recall how much driving time elapsed across those days?
Sorry, I don’t recall. It was too long ago. One word of advice though, watch out for massive potholes on the highway once you are within 60 miles of Louisville.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My rule of thumb is "leave when the charge planner says it's ok" but sometimes I will add an extra 20 miles worth if I'm concerned.
While you were enroute, did you have the entire trip, charging stops & final destination, active in the Porsche nav system?
I've read some road trippers only enter the next stop in the nav unit. Thanks again for all the info.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
While you were enroute, did you have the entire trip, charging stops & final destination, active in the Porsche nav system?
I've read some road trippers only enter the next stop in the nav unit. Thanks again for all the info.
I had the entire trip in, and the charging planner was able to handle it just fine.

People break up the trips because there's a point where the planner just can't deal with it, and spins forever.

I could not get it to plot Dallas->Flagstaff, for example.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Thanks! It's an app I am building called Chargey.

It tracks your charges at home and at DC chargers, and has a separate mode for tracking road trips. I probably have another few weeks left in development; I'm building some dashboard-type screens to show cost this month/year/all, etc.

I can make a separate thread about it but I want to be mindful/respectful of spam on the forum too. Will read the rules and see.

You got it!! I'm an iOS developer and when I started, all the classes were NS-this and NS-that due to the NextStep heritage.

I've met very few people who get it. I usually just tell them the NS means non-stop if they are normals. :)
Let us know when the app is in the app store (there is one called chargy).

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Let us know when the app is in the app store (there is one called chargy).
Ah nuts! I'll need a new name then. :) I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the interest. I started this project after my road trip to CA (where I tracked everything in a spreadsheet.)

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Ah nuts! I'll need a new name then. :) I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the interest. I started this project after my road trip to CA (where I tracked everything in a spreadsheet.)
I read that thread too. I do not do a lot of long trips, but hope to this fall. I went to download and looks like a Spanish app. You are in TX though!

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I read that thread too. I do not do a lot of long trips, but hope to this fall. I went to download and looks like a Spanish app. You are in TX though!
It looks like that one is "Chargy" while "Chargey" is still up for grabs.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
No one has used "eveasy". Just saying.

OP
OP
DerekS

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
(Derek is thinking why did I share the name LOL)
The first app I ever wrote was a mileage tracker called Tripper.

I later found out "Tripper" is a slang for gonorrhea in some countries.

Anyway, way off topic now. :)