RWD traction control off - driving experience?

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hello fellow RWD drivers! I was wondering how many of you guys tried driving some roads (when safe of course) turn off traction control? I was driving home one night and one part of the road never had any cars so I decided to turn off traction control. For the first time I understood why everyone wanted RWD. It was a stupid amount of fun carving corners because the car was so nimble! The chasis was so well built it gave you confidence, and at the same time it was more nimble and maneuverable than ever. My model 3 never gave me that confidence because the balance never felt right, it always wanted to understeer. Obviously you can’t turn off traction control with every drive but for those special moments it was awesome. However I was driving and turning a lot slower than I usually would because I never had more than 1 session of professional training experience so I was scared. Anyone turned it off and tried the car yet?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've not tried it, but you have got me intrigued now.
It is stupid fun…. Like you really feel how light the front end was and you get all the power all the time. Coming out of the corner, breaking into a corner, and feeling the apex of the corner was all amazing. I can see why the 911 is so addicting because I bet it is even more fun with that car. Of course you gotta have good weather and be safe about it. Wouldn’t want to spin out of control lol. I always felt like RWD could just be a touch faster but after turning off traction control I realized why the extra power could be a bad thing for most ppl in this situation. You would be too scared to accelerate. In this case, because it is slower and the lighter front end, it wants to oversteer so with a little big of throttle control its amazing.

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I’d say the £10 grand + Lower starting price was the the main reason people get a RWD😉🧐
just saying 🤣🤣

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I’d say the £10 grand + Lower starting price was the the main reason people get a RWD😉🧐
just saying 🤣🤣
Tbh I am not sure about that, for my car it was a 18k difference. Let’s be very real here, if you can afford 100k car, you can afford the 18k difference. 18k spread out over the years is a small difference in monthly payment.

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
Hello fellow RWD drivers! I was wondering how many of you guys tried driving some roads (when safe of course) turn off traction control? I was driving home one night and one part of the road never had any cars so I decided to turn off traction control. For the first time I understood why everyone wanted RWD. It was a stupid amount of fun carving corners because the car was so nimble! The chasis was so well built it gave you confidence, and at the same time it was more nimble and maneuverable than ever. My model 3 never gave me that confidence because the balance never felt right, it always wanted to understeer. Obviously you can’t turn off traction control with every drive but for those special moments it was awesome. However I was driving and turning a lot slower than I usually would because I never had more than 1 session of professional training experience so I was scared. Anyone turned it off and tried the car yet?
I've not tried it yet, I've only had the car under 2 weeks but definitely will. I'm heading up to Northumberland to see my godkids next week so I'll do it then. Not with the kids in the car! Some lovely roads that I know.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I am an old bloke and have never owned a sports car with traction control.
My current 2 seater only has a limited slip diff and is around 800kg lighter than the Taycan, so for that sort of fun I have a car already which will be better in every way, probably.

I will probably never turn off any stability control function on my Taycan on the basis the Porsche chassis engineers know more about it than I do :)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tbh I am not sure about that, for my car it was a 18k difference. Let’s be very real here, if you can afford 100k car, you can afford the 18k difference. 18k spread out over the years is a small difference in monthly payment.
People have different ways of looking at buying stuff.
I have never bought anything hire/purchase so the difference in cash I need to pay is what I look at since there is, and never has been, a monthly payment for me :)
OTOH price is not the main decision parameter for me, for my last car the one I chose was less than ⅓ the price of the other one on my shortlist since it fit my requirements better, on balance.

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
People have different ways of looking at buying stuff.
I have never bought anything hire/purchase so the difference in cash I need to pay is what I look at since there is, and never has been, a monthly payment for me :)
OTOH price is not the main decision parameter for me, for my last car the one I chose was less than ⅓ the price of the other one on my shortlist since it fit my requirements better, on balance.
I agree that Porsche engineer knows what they are doing and I bet their traction control is awesome. Though, they do allow you turn it off for a reason😏. Also if you don’t have monthly payments then look at it this way. Cost of ownership /depreciation of the vehicle. Lets say 20k in difference over 5 years of ownership, that means only 4k a year. Let’s say % of depreciation stays constant with both models, if you can afford to all cash 100k, you can afford 120k lets be real here. No one driving a porsche is realistically thinking 20k is a huge difference. At least IMO, who knows, I might be totally wrong but that is how I see it.

Muu

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Same is true for the GTS, turning the PSM off does give you a more direct and honest connection with the car. Just be sure that you're driving within your limits and know you have capacity in hand to deal with what may come.

OP
OP
Stoneageman

Stoneageman

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Same is true for the GTS, turning the PSM off does give you a more direct and honest connection with the car. Just be sure that you're driving within your limits and know you have capacity in hand to deal with what may come.
Agree, definitely drive within limits. I never test drove the GTS, but the 4s felt a touch more front heavy though I have never turned off the traction control in that car. I will say though this car hides its weight very well.

Reactions: Muu

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you’re driving slow and well within your and the car’s limits, I’m not sure how turning traction control off makes any noticeable difference, as it shouldn’t even be cutting in until you are pushing the car to its traction limits.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag

I watched this Rory Reid video (among about 100 others) and decided that I had to have this car! (Just not in metallic pink like the car in Rory's video.) After taking delivery, I was inspired to find some nice roads on which to switch off traction control and have a little fun. After a few sessions of letting the rear-end swing out ever so slightly, I called my therapist to inform her that she had been replaced by a Taycan. ;) The RWD is really fun when it needs to be! Enjoy but be careful.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn’t dream of having 4WD with an IC engine but with an EV I would for the regenerative braking. I don’t like the idea of only braking at the rear and on the F1 car it is a pain getting a good brake balance with regeneration only at the rear (4WD is against the rules in Formula 1 so far)
So we’ve though the 2WD is 4% lighter it wouldn’t be my choice.
Sponsored