Sales Price vs MSRP

moneymil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X7
Country flag
My dealer just contacted me saying I should configure my 4S online and expect it to go into production in February 2020. Curious as to whether anyone is getting a price below MSRP or, as early adopters, are we forced to pay full boat?

First Porsche purchase but I’ve always been able to negotiate around 8-10% off MSRP on the BMWs I’ve been buying for the last 20 years. thanks!
Sponsored

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
My dealer just contacted me saying I should configure my 4S online and expect it to go into production in February 2020. Curious as to whether anyone is getting a price below MSRP or, as early adopters, are we forced to pay full boat?

First Porsche purchase but I’ve always been able to negotiate around 8-10% off MSRP on the BMWs I’ve been buying for the last 20 years. thanks!
I paid full on my Turbo.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
New car dealers in the USA usually only discount from MSRP if their inventory exceeds their expected level, or they get incentive from the manufacturer. Porsche dealer usually only discount their cars at the end of a model year if they still have inventory. There are two Porsche dealers in Atlanta, Jim Ellis and Hennessey. In my experience of buying 4 Porsches from dealers, Jim Ellis would not budge on prices, but Hennessey did on model year end models twice , but last time, I bought the car in Florida to get one with about 15% discount while the Atlanta dealers would not budge, as they literally had no inventory on the car I wanted and would have had to have it shipped from another dealer. I seriously doubt any Porsche dealer would discount a car when their literally is a waiting list of 30,000 vehicles!

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo (cab), Cayenne S, AMG GT-C, Audi R8
Country flag
I got a3% discount on de base price of my Turbo (not on the options). But the reason is a bit special. I live in Belgium but only 5 km from the dutch border. The Taycans are a bti cheaper in Holland compared to Belgium. In order not to lose the business I got the 3% discount. This was also not the first Porsche I bougth at this dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moneymil

moneymil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X7
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Here’s my issue. I was supposedly 18 on my dealer’s list in the US. That should put be at mid 2020 at the earliest but now they said I will get one fo their February allocations. A lot of people have dropped off because of the Turbo/Turbo S pricing. I think a lot of the 4S buyers have also dropped off since these “launch” cars are forcing buyer into certain options (94kwh vs 79kwh at $6500 premium) and not making available others (HUD). Because of that and the dealer wanting/needing to sell the allocations they get, I was hoping to have a little negotiating room. If the dealer gave me $6500 off the price to offset the performance plus battery I’d be happy.

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. Here’s my issue. I was supposedly 18 on my dealer’s list in the US. That should put be at mid 2020 at the earliest but now they said I will get one fo their February allocations. A lot of people have dropped off because of the Turbo/Turbo S pricing. I think a lot of the 4S buyers have also dropped off since these “launch” cars are forcing buyer into certain options (94kwh vs 79kwh at $6500 premium) and not making available others (HUD). Because of that and the dealer wanting/needing to sell the allocations they get, I was hoping to have a little negotiating room. If the dealer gave me $6500 off the price to offset the performance plus battery I’d be happy.
Interesting, I still don't think there will be much play in final price. I am first in allocation for a turbo here and I don't expect much of a break. They have a bunch of 4s in allocation but so far a whopping 1 for a turbo through mid 2020

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I mean that’s not how supply and demand works. They can sell every allocation at msrp if not to you than to another overbooked dealer. There’s no reason for them to take a $6500 hit at this time. I expect next year will be different.

I’d try to focus your negotiations on trade in value, fees and financing. Maybe ask they toss in a few perks

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
I'm glad the Porsche dealers are selling the Taycans at MSRP. A friend of mine had to pay $25K over to get the first Acura NSX in our area.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is anyone being asked to put down large, nonrefundable deposits for cars? Like 10% of the build price?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is anyone being asked to put down large, nonrefundable deposits for cars? Like 10% of the build price?
this seems to vary greatly by area and dealer. I think a bunch of EU folks were told this without flexibility. I was told to expect a more normal flat fee deposit but my place in line hasn’t come up so I suppose my dealer could change his mind. A 10% = $20k seems most excessive.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I payed 10% in Sweden 20.000 dollars 6 month before delivery..

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
this seems to vary greatly by area and dealer. I think a bunch of EU folks were told this without flexibility. I was told to expect a more normal flat fee deposit but my place in line hasn’t come up so I suppose my dealer could change his mind. A 10% = $20k seems most excessive.
I’ve heard various things, but one is that the more customized your build, the higher the deposit required in case you end up bailing on the car. My dealer only required a minimal deposit on my 4S, so maybe it’s just for Turbos. With the amount of pent up demand it’s a little weird that dealers would be nervous about folks bailing on cars, but maybe it’s a real concern.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
For my 4S in Finland it was 5k€. And 3k€ of that was already paid for the reservation...