Searching for an Allocation

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a Taycan GTS sedan in the USA. No luck in the local market (charging ADM above MSRP if allocation is available). So I began a nationwide search, searching 36 states (avoided pacific states, AK, HI, and anything northeast of DC). I sent emails to 97 dealerships. I did this through searching Google Maps for Porsche dealers (this can be tricky sometimes). You know you are looking at a Porsche dealership, as all their websites look almost identical. Google Maps will usually say its a "Porsche dealer," although this is not 100% accurate. Find a "contact us" section on their website to send an email. NEVER give a phone number. State you are looking for a specific Taycan allocation for a custom build. You are out of state and will need it shipped in an enclosed container.

I heard back from half of the dealerships within the first few hours, and then the rest over the next day. Of 97 dealerships, about 75 responded. Most did not have an allocation. Some would not sell out of state. Some will try to sell you Taycans that are already built (no thanks). I found 14 dealerships with an allocation (pretty good given the market these days and how rare the GTS appears to be), but only 5 were willing to sell the Taycan GTS sedan at MSRP. I snagged one.

Hilariously, I asked one of the dealerships charging an ADM if they could call me back if they drop back to MSRP, to which he responded "Haha that's never going to happen!" Rude...

I thought I would write this up as a simple how-to for doing this for the model you want. Obviously, you will need to know exactly which model you want. They ask for an initial build, but nothing is set in stone until the freeze date. Most require some kind of refundable deposit. Always confirm it is a specific allocation for a specific month. Some will try to take a deposit and add you to a waiting list. Be careful about this! Confirm that they can ship it to you. They usually know a few shipping companies that can ship it enclosed for around $1.5k-$2k. Taxes can get tricky and vary by state, but usually you pay taxes for where the car gets registered (your home state).

It took me about 2 hours to email all the dealerships initially. Plus all the time to coordinate with specific dealerships. Not bad at all to save you 10-20K in ADM costs.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Continued...

What has this taught me? You should not have to spend more than MSRP for anything. With enough will and effort, you can get one at MSRP. Also it has taught me that some dealerships can be extremely smug, even moreso now than before. Hopefully, one day all car manufacturers will go the way of Tesla and cut out the middle man, as auto servicing will go down as there are more EVs on the road (less maintenance). As Tesla always had delays producing, I never had to hunt down a dealership with an allocation. I just ordered online and waited for my turn. With that said, I chatted with quite a few dealers who were very professional and actually seemed to care about making their customers happy. So my faith in humanity is not quite in the gutter yet. Haha

shannond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Nice work. During my search, I found dealers between MSRP and $40K ADM for incoming dealer stock on the GTS sedan. Shipping costs made it impractical on a few of the MSRP dealers that were far away from me. What was the max ADM of the 75 that responded?

OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice work. During my search, I found dealers between MSRP and $40K ADM for incoming dealer stock on the GTS sedan. Shipping costs made it impractical on a few of the MSRP dealers that were far away from me. What was the max ADM of the 75 that responded?
Max ADM $20K, most were $10-$15K

shannond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
My back yard had the outliers at $40K and probably did not respond to your request.

erhand25

First Name
Erhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Check out Asheville Porsche. They were able to swap allocation with other dealer, got taycan delivered under 3 months. They sell at msrp.
Ask for Ron, tell him you got number from david. His direct # +1 (828) 777-9238

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Good show...good show! Glad the OP got his car at the price HE wanted and could deal with NOT the dealerships. IMHO $20k ADM just because is counter productive to all involved. No way I'd do so and I did get my Taycan CT4 at MSRP. If I could get a GTS ST at MSRP I'd probably jump in a heartbeat but they're even more rare from what I can tell.

OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Edit: No need to DM me anymore. The list of dealers is completely out of date now

Last edited:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I did something very similar at the end of January, except I limited my search to nearby states. I was lucky enough to snag an CT4s allocation from the Porsche dealership in Kansas City. They charged me MSRP, and only requested a $2,000 deposit. The team there is great to deal with.

The car was originally supposed to be delivered by the middle of May, but that has been pushed back to the middle of June since the world has some bigger things going on currently.

If timing works, I will take the maiden road trip up to Glacier in the middle of July. The shorter break in road trip will be to Aspen for a few days over July 4th. So, fingers crossed $hit does not get worse, and my car keeps the currently delayed manufacturing schedule.

OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are you having it delivered? I was thinking of getting delivered to PECLA, and then road trip it back home. I was thinking of applying a temporary clear bra in LA (like Trakk Tape or Track Armour) to prevent rock chips before I get a permanent clear bra installed close to home.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Are you having it delivered? I was thinking of getting delivered to PECLA, and then road trip it back home. I was thinking of applying a temporary clear bra in LA (like Trakk Tape or Track Armour) to prevent rock chips before I get a permanent clear bra installed close to home.
I am going to drive my current 4s sedan down to KC and trade it in once my CT4s shows up. Nothing fancy like the PECLA. I would love to do that sometime, but I really want to head up to western Montana and explore since my trip last summer got cut short due to the smokey conditions from the fires in Oregon.

OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am going to drive my current 4s sedan down to KC and trade it in once my CT4s shows up. Nothing fancy like the PECLA. I would love to do that sometime, but I really want to head up to western Montana and explore since my trip last summer got cut short due to the smokey conditions from the fires in Oregon.
Good stuff! Post pics on your road trip!

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Do the PECLA pickup and safe yourself the delivery fee. I think PECLA is $600? That includes delivering the car there.

If I have to do it again, I would do a country wide search and pay for the PECLA delivery, and drive home. Did not realized I can do this when I was ordering my CT. Otherwise I would have check other dealers for an allocation instead of waiting for a year. It worked out in the end, but man, that wait tested my patience to the limit.

-ThinkMac-

OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do the PECLA pickup and safe yourself the delivery fee. I think PECLA is $600? That includes delivering the car there.

If I have to do it again, I would do a country wide search and pay for the PECLA delivery, and drive home. Did not realized I can do this when I was ordering my CT. Otherwise I would have check other dealers for an allocation instead of waiting for a year. It worked out in the end, but man, that wait tested my patience to the limit.

-ThinkMac-
Yup that’s exactly what I’m doing now. Cheaper to do the PECLA delivery and more fun! It will delay by 4-8 weeks

OP
OP

impersonator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just an update, I just learned that the dealership in Okemos, MI has an open GTS sedan allocation available at MSRP. My list was updated for those of you who have it.
Sponsored