First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Using a SuperCharger requires two things
  1. adapter/native plug (europe has native plug no adapter required)
  2. authorization from Tesla to use their network at a given site
    1. (this is true world wide even with/with-out an adapter - and the same for all EV charging networks - you have to be authorized to use a stall at a given site - now most of the time this is simply commerce/payment based - but none the less "authorization" is still required even if it is open to everyone)
Europe requires no adapter, but not all Supercharger sites allow non-Tesla's
North America requires an adapter - but so far there is very very very limited authorization as to who can use a Tesla Supercharger site (unless you are a Tesla vehicle owner)

the adapter will come/happen and most vehicle vendors have announced native tesla ports on their future EV's (no adapter required)
that still leaves the issue of how much of the Tesla supercharger network is available to non-Tesla's - and different car vendors have negotiated different levels of Access

this is no different that costco restricting access to their gas stations to costco member's only - or Porsche Monterey, CA preventing me from charging my Taycan at their CCS1 chargers because they are a dealership and want to control who uses their fast charges - STeven's Creek Porsche in San JOse also restricts access to Porsche CCS1 fast chargers because they need them for service/new-vehicle delivery

physical access is one thing - and either native NACS ports or adapters will "fix" the physical access issue

but we need to get authorization to use the Tesla network - and so far that only comes from either Tesla, or by virtue of our vehicle vendor negotiating it on behalf of their customers - so far VW/Audi/Porsche have not provided access to North American superchargers

personally for all my future EV purchases I will only do business with an EV vendor that has negotitated North American supercharger access - Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes, Lucid, Rivian, Toyota, Honda, others have announced North American supercharger access - VW/Audi/Porsche not so much.
Sponsored

Last edited:

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Meanwhile…yeah UK section here chaps…

…leave your magic rocks at the door and your NACS plugs too 😜😅