Software Update - AMB5

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
So, a general question for our UK forum members. My car has been due the AMB5 update since the early summer and I have delayed it a couple of times and its now due to go in for the update in a couple of weeks.

I am still on the fence whether I should do this update for the following reasons.

1. I have very fortunately not had any issues with my MY21 car. Not even minor gremlins. The only thing I experienced twice was a distorted image on the rear view camera which self-healed when the car was switched off/on again. Everything else works and is slick...

2. Even the public charging with Ionity has been flawless. I don't even need to use the Porsche Charge card. The car handles all the handshaking etc and the bonus is, no Ionity charging costs on many occasions.

The question therefore to other forum users, should I bother with the update? Has anyone who did not experience any issues before seen any positive differences after having the update.
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So, a general question for our UK forum members. My car has been due the AMB5 update since the early summer and I have delayed it a couple of times and its now due to go in for the update in a couple of weeks.

I am still on the fence whether I should do this update for the following reasons.

1. I have very fortunately not had any issues with my MY21 car. Not even minor gremlins. The only thing I experienced twice was a distorted image on the rear view camera which self-healed when the car was switched off/on again. Everything else works and is slick...

2. Even the public charging with Ionity has been flawless. I don't even need to use the Porsche Charge card. The car handles all the handshaking etc and the bonus is, no Ionity charging costs on many occasions.

The question therefore to other forum users, should I bother with the update? Has anyone who did not experience any issues before seen any positive differences after having the update.
I would do it - no real reason not to and you can't ignore it if you have a recall pending (warranty etc).

The dealer with automatically apply it next time they have their hands on your car regardless.

I had no issues with mine (and little prior as they'd all been addressed).

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would do it - no real reason not to and you can't ignore it if you have a recall pending (warranty etc).

The dealer with automatically apply it next time they have their hands on your car regardless.

I had no issues with mine (and little prior as they'd all been addressed).
I think you're right and if anything goes wrong, apart from my frustration its probably still the right thing to have done...Thanks for the push :)

snb7x

First Name
Bertie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, Z4 3.0i Conv, VW Golf & Taycan Turbo (awaited)
Country flag
I think you're right and if anything goes wrong, apart from my frustration its probably still the right thing to have done...Thanks for the push :)
I haven’t popped my 4S in for the update - mainly as my dealer isn’t nearby and I’ve a trade in for new Turbo pending most of 2021 - but like you I haven’t experienced any issues that I can spot related to software deficiencies apart from odd heater / cooling system which tbh could be the Auto / Manual and variation of Individual / Focussed / Diffused settings and my clumsiness or patience to understand fully. I’ll continue to leave the update until the car is back in the hands of my dealer who I select from outside my region.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, the car finally went in for this update and as I had not heard back from my OPC for pick up today I thought something must have happened. I finally got a call late this afternoon to say the software update is failing part of the way through and they are having to speak with Germany for a workaround. Good job I booked only after a courtesy car was available.

The OPC thinks they can sort it for tomorrow but I would personally replace thinks with hopes ?. Oh well hopefully it will get resolved but just goes to show they still have not ironed out the process as yet.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
So, the car finally went in for this update and as I had not heard back from my OPC for pick up today I thought something must have happened. I finally got a call late this afternoon to say the software update is failing part of the way through and they are having to speak with Germany for a workaround. Good job I booked only after a courtesy car was available.

The OPC thinks they can sort it for tomorrow but I would personally replace thinks with hopes ?. Oh well hopefully it will get resolved but just goes to show they still have not ironed out the process as yet.
This is a huge update with frequent hiccups but it will eventually work out fine, if not at the first attempt then at the second one.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is a huge update with frequent hiccups but it will eventually work out fine, if not at the first attempt then at the second one.
I am sure but in over 1 year of ownership I never had any issues whatsoever so I hope I haven’t jinxed my good fortune… ? let’s see…

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I am sure but in over 1 year of ownership I never had any issues whatsoever so I hope I haven’t jinxed my good fortune… ? let’s see…
I get it, but AMB5 was a big multi-section omnibus update which corrected a lot of the early defects in one go. Let's hope that it is not representative for future updates which are supposed to be more of a maintenance or evolution type rather than something which corrects all the launch version mistakes.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

That's a shame and about of a surprise given the number of vehicles which have had it applied.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a shame and about of a surprise given the number of vehicles which have had it applied.
Thats exactly what I thought and why I left it so long, thinking they would have figured it all out by now not to mention this is being done at OPC Reading which of course is head office. Let’s see what today brings.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thats exactly what I thought and why I left it so long, thinking they would have figured it all out by now not to mention this is being done at OPC Reading which of course is head office. Let’s see what today brings.
I thought I would just give everyone an update so that this was not left hanging. The update was completed and ready for last Friday but I was only able to pick the car up this morning.

Apart from it being in "private" mode and me having to delete my user and reconnect it all is well. Interestingly the recuperation gauge started off with a very small green bar so at first I thought there was a screen glitch but by the time I got home almost the full green bar was showing. Still not max so I guess maybe its relearning or reconfiguring.

The main thing is all is well and the car does not feel or drive any differently.. Lastly, I really got an appreciation of just how good it is compared with the V6 Cayenne I handed back to Porsche. What a difference and I know they are totally different vehicles but still - wow!
Sponsored