NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
If you are here hoping for a panacea for all Connect problems, unfortunately this is not. I believe this is only applicable to a narrow subset of problems, specifically a) If you have had to delete and re-create your Porsche ID for some reason and it's now not working; and/or b) you are unable to log into the vehicle with the invalid credentials error even though you know your credentials are good (e.g. because they work on the website or mobile app).

Background (how things got broken in my Taycan)
  • October 11, while connected to the PMCC, my 12V battery died
  • After jump-starting the car, communication with Porsche servers was broken, though in-car Connect services that did not require communication with Porsche servers still worked (e.g. Apple Music). The 12V battery dying and/or the jump start process may be a cause of communication failure, or it may just be coincidence. I took the car to the dealer to investigate the 12V issue and loss of communications, however no faults were logged and at the time the dealer was unable to do anything.
  • A comedic number of futile recommendations from PCNA Connect Support included factory reset (failed), deleting my account from the car and logging back in (which failed and broke the previously-still-working Apple Music) and deleting my Porsche ID and starting over.
    • Attempting to log back in failed with credentials invalid even though the credentials were known good. Multiple password changes did not fix the problem. I know others have encountered this specific issue.
    • Even after deleting my Porsche ID and starting over with the invitation e-mail (initiated again by the dealer) I could not complete the checkout process with the recycled Porsche ID, thus I could not active any of the Connect services for my Porsche ID. Checkout would fail, taking me to a maintenance screen saying to try again later.
At this point, there were two problems:
1) Vehicle not communicating with Porsche servers
2) Porsche ID checkout could not be completed

For the first problem, my dealer suspected the OTA Control Module, ordered a replacement from Germany, and once it came in, had me bring the car back to them. Upon further investigation, he determined the module had somehow managed to get stuck in a state similar to a pre-delivery state, but unlike the real pre-delivery state it could not be coaxed out of that state. The dealer replaced the module, which restored communications with Porsche, and I was able to log into the vehicle, however this did not address the inability to complete Porsche ID checkout, thus Connect services were still not working.

If I understood the dealer correctly, this weird state with the OTA Control Module was not logged as a fault - the dealer tech had to go specifically looking for it. Point being, it may not be obvious to your dealer just from pulling faults. The symptoms (lack of communications with Porsche servers, can't log into vehicle) may point to this, they may not. If you have these symptoms though, it might be worth asking your dealer to dig into the provisioning state of the OTA Control Module.

After several weeks of apparent lack of attention from Germany on the Porsche ID issue, the PCNA folks wanted to try again deleting my Porsche ID and start over. We finally succeeded in getting things working. I can't guarantee that variations of the sequence below would or would not work, but I can report that for me, my Porsche ID and connect services were restored after the sequence below (after the OTA module replacement):

1) Delete the vehicle from my Porsche ID [PCNA did this, owner can do it]
2) Delete my Porsche ID [PCNA did this, owner can do it]
3) Initiate the invitation e-mail for a new Porsche ID [PCNA or dealer must do this]
4) Delete the user account from the vehicle [owner]
5) Disconnect 12V battery in the vehicle for at least 60 seconds (this step was required because without this step, the next step would fail).
6) Factory reset the PCM in the vehicle - make sure you have good cellular coverage for this step
7) Complete Porsche ID check-out (in the US, connect and Porsche charging service are $0 items for the first three and one years respectively), set-up security code, and accept terms and conditions and receipt of data privacy notice.
8) Log into vehicle and activate Connect services (deactivate privacy mode) - make sure you have good cellular coverage for this step.

After all of the above, Connect services, mobile app, etc. are all working again.

My own personal theory is that somehow on Porsche servers, because of the OTA module issue, a software record for my VIN may have associated the car to a Porsche ID so a new Porsche ID (even re-using the same e-mail address) couldn't be attached to it. Again theory, I believe the successful factory reset process (with good cellular coverage) was needed to unset this association so that the new Porsche ID could be associated with the vehicle.

Lastly, never underestimate the importance of involving your dealer. Mine has been very motivated to help, and they definitely get much more and higher level attention from PCNA. Plus, since these cars are all under warranty, any time they spend gets reimbursed by PCNA and that's what leads to things getting fixed.
Sponsored

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
If I understood the dealer correctly, this weird state with the OTA Control Module was not logged as a fault - the dealer tech had to go specifically looking for it. Point being, it may not be obvious to your dealer just from pulling faults. The symptoms (lack of communications with Porsche servers, can't log into vehicle) may point to this, they may not. If you have these symptoms though, it might be worth asking your dealer to dig into the provisioning state of the OTA Control Module.

After several weeks of apparent lack of attention from Germany on the Porsche ID issue, the PCNA folks wanted to try again deleting my Porsche ID and start over. We finally succeeded in getting things working. I can't guarantee that variations of the sequence below would or would not work, but I can report that for me, my Porsche ID and connect services were restored after the sequence below (after the OTA module replacement):
My own personal theory is that somehow on Porsche servers, because of the OTA module issue, a software record for my VIN may have associated the car to a Porsche ID so a new Porsche ID (even re-using the same e-mail address) couldn't be attached to it. Again theory, I believe the successful factory reset process (with good cellular coverage) was needed to unset this association so that the new Porsche ID could be associated with the vehicle.
I had an extremely similar experience, including everything above except deleting/recreating my Porsche ID. I had the same OTA Module issue and had it replaced, and after multiple attempts and delays finally got it all to work. Search my post history for the sordid details.

I'm glad you got everything straightened out. The OTA going into some non-obvious and apparently unrecoverable offline state seems like a real issue.

Brent