OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
I hope I'm not misunderstanding your question, but the digital portion of the regular sport chrono wart does display the time in hours and minutes; it's not just a stopwatch. As you've mentioned, seconds are ticked off by the analog sweep hand.
Thanks. Yes, I know there is a small digital clock. It was the analogue bit I was questioning. A ticking second hand is an utterly useless option in my opinion. Quite why they don't have a proper clock or something else useful in the space without paying an extra £700 is beyond me
Sponsored

xqdong

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD 2022
Country flag
It's a speed radar detector, which works over the horizon even in unobstructed areas. Two antennas so that the warning is directional. Laser warning and jamming works similar, but in addition to detecting the lidar, it also jams it long enough to slow down the car to the speed at which you prefer the speed to be measured. ;)
Wow! Sounds a very cool and fancy functionality! It must be full of achievement when you make it work on taycan!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I am of the opinion that it may just be an option solely for the sake of tradition.

The Taycan is futuristic and minimalist, with all information available through customisable, digital means. As someone new to Porsche I find the Sport chrono clock completely at odds with the rest of the car.
I do see the benefit of the mode switch on the steering wheel, just strange that they bundle them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am of the opinion that it may just be an option solely for the sake of tradition.

The Taycan is futuristic and minimalist, with all information available through customisable, digital means. As someone new to Porsche I find the Sport chrono clock completely at odds with the rest of the car.
I do see the benefit of the mode switch on the steering wheel, just strange that they bundle them.
I am sure this is correct. I don't really see the point of Sport Chrono either. On ICE cars it allows you to use launch control and holds on to the lower gears for longer/changes down earlier. But neither of these is relevant on the Taycan as there aren't really gears (I know the rear motor has 2, but that isn't quite the same) and sport mode has launch control. I like the switch on the steering wheel as it allows you to change modes easily and without looking down to the centre console to find the sport button or fishing around in the menus to find the range mode. However as you suggest, bundling the two together is pointless. If they weren't bundled, I bet no one would have the stopwatch thing on the dashboard. If there was a no cost analogue clock then I suspect everyone would choose it. But I don't think I will be going for the £700 analogue clock although it does look better.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I am sure this is correct. I don't really see the point of Sport Chrono either. On ICE cars it allows you to use launch control and holds on to the lower gears for longer/changes down earlier. But neither of these is relevant on the Taycan as there aren't really gears (I know the rear motor has 2, but that isn't quite the same) and sport mode has launch control. I like the switch on the steering wheel as it allows you to change modes easily and without looking down to the centre console to find the sport button or fishing around in the menus to find the range mode. However as you suggest, bundling the two together is pointless. If they weren't bundled, I bet no one would have the stopwatch thing on the dashboard. If there was a no cost analogue clock then I suspect everyone would choose it. But I don't think I will be going for the £700 analogue clock although it does look better.
Not pointless for some. Sport/sport+ will hold 1st gear longer and for us track guys the clock lap timer function is great. Power and sharper throttle response are also handy for aggressive driving. I miss it in the '21 GTS Cayenne - should've ordered it.

OP
OP
Midlifecrisis

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not pointless for some. Sport/sport+ will hold 1st gear longer and for us track guys the clock lap timer function is great. Power and sharper throttle response are also handy for aggressive driving. I miss it in the '21 GTS Cayenne - should've ordered it.
But in a Taycan, does sport plus actually hold it for longer than sport? Is the throttle response actually different? It is in a 911 and Cayman, but I am less sure about the Taycan. And I bet hardly any Taycans get tracked

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But in a Taycan, does sport plus actually hold it for longer than sport? Is the throttle response actually different? It is in a 911 and Cayman, but I am less sure about the Taycan. And I bet hardly any Taycans get tracked
Yes. Sport ~80mph - sport+ ~100mph in my experience. Throttle is snapier.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So are they the same up to o 80 but sport+ is better from 80-100?
Not "better" just setup for super aggressive and/or track driving. As Porsche states: "maximum performance for racetrack-like operation"

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
The only Sport Plus setting on my CT4 is the chassis setting and I don’t notice any difference. If you go into your menu what settings are different on sport plus versus sport?

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
In sport+ I notice upshift on WOT around 77mph and downshifts around 40-50mph. The little e-blip noise on downshift with sport sound makes me chuckle every time.

Have not yet spent much time in sport mode to compare.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
In sport+ I notice upshift on WOT around 77mph and downshifts around 40-50mph. The little e-blip noise on downshift with sport sound makes me chuckle every time.

Have not yet spent much time in sport mode to compare.
Tested in sport mode, the shift point appears to be the same as sport+.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Also, I do not see the time in your picture. I believe the top number is the altitude and the bottom is clearly not the time. How do you get the time? Is their a toggle button of some sort?
Here is a real life, clear picture of what the chrono with compass looks like on a Taycan CT. Time is there.
Porsche Taycan Sport chrono clock 1631305544511

RallyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT
Country flag
Here is a real life, clear picture of what the chrono with compass looks like on a Taycan CT. Time is there.
1631305544511.png
Thanks much. Looking for this. Is the time always there or can you toggle for another variable?