Strange fan/ticking noise during morning power-up

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Well after a lot of back and forth a tech finally heard the fan noise at the dealership (despite living with it for over 2 months end of last year and before we set off out of the country for December, when I returned the bloody noise decided to stop right before the scheduled service visit - of course!).

Was quite frustrating getting the service guys to accept there was an issue despite again having shared three videos of this noise that very clearly indicated the origin but of course as we know, if it doesn't happen at the dealership it 'never' happened, right (which to some degree is actually fair)! Glad now it is finally recognized.

SA said they have ordered a replacement part but on back order so possibly a couple of months(!!) before receiving it stateside. So, whilst documented, TBH not clear to me yet if indeed a mechanical issue solely with the fan under the console and/or other related issues - we'll see when the part arrives later this year I guess.
Hmm - thought I had followed up on this - must have done in another thread but they replaced the entire central control unit, screen and all - one piece - back in April this year and problem 100% solved.
Sponsored

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Mine center screen has been replaced. I’m anticipating that may come back one it is getting a bit colder. Will see.

StackPivot

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had a similar problem. An occasional growling noise sounding like it was coming the chrono clock area.

Turns out my dealer identified it as a out of tolerance air conditioning compressor mounts. They replaced the mounts and haven't had a problem since!

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Thanks for the update! I’ll have to update the tech bc I thought ur fix worked. I did mention a fix about brackets on the compressor. I’ll take it back in on Tue.
Just picked up mine today. Here's what was done:
1697515055344.png

Drove 45 miles home with the A/C on in 100 °F (38 °C) weather without any growling :whew:

EJM22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hmm - thought I had followed up on this - must have done in another thread but they replaced the entire central control unit, screen and all - one piece - back in April this year and problem 100% solved.
What’s the central control unit? It’s been at the dealer 2 out of 3 months. Just got it back Mon and noise is still there. Now I have new noises from the work previously done. This is definitely a horrible experience.

EJM22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I had a similar problem. An occasional growling noise sounding like it was coming the chrono clock area.

Turns out my dealer identified it as a out of tolerance air conditioning compressor mounts. They replaced the mounts and haven't had a problem since!
Supposedly, those had been checked and good. May need a second opinion

StackPivot

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
TXAG - Wow - didn't realize your noise came back. I'm glad it's been good so far with the new fix. Knock on wood, mine has been good.

EJM22 -- here's my service info. Very similar to the new fix for TXAG. HTH.

Porsche Taycan Strange fan/ticking noise during morning power-up IMG_5099

Spyerx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
Seems 2 different noises. One is this growling noise upper dash area, second is a clicking noise.

Since owning car for 2 years, I've had that clicking noise a few times, usually on colder days (for socal).

It reminds me of a cabin temperature probe on the back of the climate control unit that has a fan on it (directs cabin air over the sensor) that exists on the 993/964 generation of 911 that when worn will make the exact same type of noise.

For sure, it's a fan. It always goes away after a minute or two.... is there a fan under the between seat screen?

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
What’s the central control unit? It’s been at the dealer 2 out of 3 months. Just got it back Mon and noise is still there. Now I have new noises from the work previously done. This is definitely a horrible experience.
Sorry just now getting back to some semblance of normal re routine and seeing this late - I meat the entire lower central computer/electronics unit + front facing screen (not the dash units) - while thing was replaced.
Sponsored