Surround View - Is it worth it?

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Hi All

quick question - is the surround view worth it over and above the reversing camera?

I haven’t had a Porsche for a while so haven’t tried the two options.

cheers
David
Sponsored

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
This is something I’m interested in knowing, i do like the 3D view aspect you get but is it worth the additional money
I will have the surround view in the Etron when it arrives

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I can’t live without it.. Have it on my Panamera and Mackan.. love the front Camera when Parking in my garage..

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
The main reason I’m drawn towards the surround view is how close you have to get to some of the charging stations !
As they can have very short cables!
So the surround view will help massively

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have it in an Audi A6 with surround view and think it’s absolutely worth every penny. Its good for pulling into garages, centering in parking spaces, and watching for curbs that might not get picked up with the park assist. A friend with a Panamera showed me how his rear camera is cleaned like with the windshield fluid. The Taycan manual says the rear camera and night vision cameras are cleaned with the windshield fluid also. Hoping that the front surround camera is the same too.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have it in an Audi A6 with surround view and think it’s absolutely worth every penny. Its good for pulling into garages, centering in parking spaces, and watching for curbs that might not get picked up with the park assist. A friend with a Panamera showed me how his rear camera is cleaned like with the windshield fluid. The Taycan manual says the rear camera and night vision cameras are cleaned with the windshield fluid also. Hoping that the front surround camera is the same too.
The Audi Etron has these camera washer functions which is great but some people are having to fill the washer fluid daily!
It’s mainly due to the software so hopefully will be fully sorted before most Taycan deliveries

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
Surround view is one of the options I’m most looking forward to. If it had been available for my Macan Turbo and 991.2 It could possibly have saved me a lot of tears and sorrow, not to mention money and the hazzle of fixing the wheel scratches;)

The width of the Taycan means I will have to creep up real close to a wall in my garage. The wall starts when I’m half way into my parking space and I think surround view will help me line up the car perfectly before I have to fold the mirrors.

As someone else already mentioned it will also be a great help when positioning the car at some of the more challenging charging stations.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DavidE- Bath

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf GTD mk 7, Ferrari 599 GTB, Ferrari 360 Spider, Ferrari 328 GTS, Bentley Continental Flying Spur, Land Rover Defender 110, Tygan/Chesil Speedster
Country flag
Thanks everyone - changing my spec now to include surround view. I’ve chosen the 21 inch wheels and really want to try my best to keep them pristine....

Td78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I misspoke. It’s not a full manual, rather just the description of the main functions in the Porsche Good to Know app. It’s fun to play around in the app though!

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Do you have any video where the surround view is used ?
I saw a video from a Macan, and it’s not better than the state of art.
The surround view is the 3D view ?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
I chose the surround view mainly because I don't want to scratch the rims. Which has happened with my current car (that has only basic radar). Bought nice special rims and now they're not so special. It'll make parking generally more care free in many situations.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If that's the only way you can get the front facing camera, then go for it. It is absolutely impossible not to scratch the front spoiler on a curb if you drive/park enough miles if you can't see via a front camera. I talked to a Ferrari dealer here and they said a very famous ball player replaced his spoiler 5 times...:crying:

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
If that's the only way you can get the front facing camera, then go for it. It is absolutely impossible not to scratch the front spoiler on a curb if you drive/park enough miles if you can't see via a front camera. I talked to a Ferrari dealer here and they said a very famous ball player replaced his spoiler 5 times...:crying:
In the 1990s, I had an Acura NSX, and replaced the front spoiler 3 times. Once when I lent the car to my elderly father who promptly hit first curb hard while angle
parking

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Surround view is one of the options I’m most looking forward to. If it had been available for my Macan Turbo and 991.2 It could possibly have saved me a lot of tears and sorrow, not to mention money and the hazzle of fixing the wheel scratches;)
Yes, I have so much parking in so many different places to do. Surround view is an essential option for me.
Sponsored