Taycan 4s delivered with PMCC missing.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
that looks like bad wiring - not a bad charger - the wire that melted is the external power source wire - it either was under spec, poorly manufactured (wire defect) or wasn't seated/tightened properly - that's not the chargers fault - it's an installation problem - nothing about that photo implicates the charger.

same thing could/would happen with PMCC, ClipperCreek or any other EVSE poorly installed with bad wiring.
Not true! Making a simple cheap connection inside the charger with so much current flowing is bad electrical engineering design, which the PMCC certainly does not have. The result was, that this little damage caused the whole unit to break down and had to be thrown away.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
yeah -your analysis is most liklely flawed - and your hatred of Tesla is well documented - that’s a bad wire or connection not a charger issue - and I doubt you’ve inspected the internals of the PMCC - those are pretty standard connectors and when properly tightened with proper wire result in yearss of service - I’ve owned 7 of the same chargers with 100 amp service for 7 years - no issues.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
This is not the charger's fault. That wire connector was not properly tightened and the loose connection caused overheating.
Perhaps the connector is simply not designed for this amount of current? Perhaps the cable into the box was not suitable. Whatever the cause was, it was installed by the company sold us the car.

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
Similar story here. Luckily I had read info here on the forum and downloaded the manual and read it before delivery so I knew what had to be in the car. When they opened the trunck the electro stuff in the bag wasn’t complete, when I pointed it out they just took it from the boot of the car next to mine... good for me, not so for the person taking delivery of the other car...

phil-c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, Lotus elise s2 111s
Country flag
Good morning all

paying option in belgium with obligation to take it because it is added to the purchase price of the car option at 1200 euros

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
It is easy to use, compatible, has a lock for semi public installation and charging history. The only charger that truly sucked after 50k km and 4 years is this one:

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4s delivered with PMCC missing. 1614302418056-jpe
Wow blaming a charger for a shoddy installation. Any charger by any brand would have done the same! Not the charger brands fault.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I can absolutely agree with @daveo4EV, the chargers is very overpriced, that is the Porsche tax.

But I will strongly disagree that it is useless. Here in Europe we can have 3 phase connection and the charger then delivers 22 kW. 3 phase power supply is a real differentiator compared to the US. And none of the cables get hot when charging at full power. The 2020 Taycan unfortunately can not make use of this but others can. The Zoe for example works just fine. Early Teslas should work fine also but I have not tested. The charger as part of the Porsche system will also show the charging cycle on MyPorsche if it is connected via WiFi. It can be configured to be private or work etc and show the cost for each charge if needed and you are interested.

And one really great feature we can have in Europe is that it is portable! You can take it with you, plug into a standard 3 phase Commando socket and have 22 kW on the road. I would have loved to have had the option of 22 kW in the car and could hve charged the car quite quickly at the marina. Just plug in and you are charging!

I will agree that it is quite big but it works great. I guess long term quality will show in a few years time.

Take it for what it is and you will be happy, but there are alternatives of course. Are they any better. Time will tell.

OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Just to give everyone an update (as original poster): I got a call at 4PM yesterday that the part came in. The dealer said 4 of them arrived that day. My post-mortem analysis is that there was a batch of Taycans that were waiting for the PMCCs at the European port and they didn't want to hold up the ship, thinking that they could ship those parts separately and they would catch up to the cars. This was my dealership's story all along and is is consistent with the fact that the 2 parts I received (24ft supply cable and control unit) were in new packaging. Without rehashing the whole story, other tidbits seems to line up with this theory. The part that is still a little troublesome, and something I found out yesterday from my rep (after I told him he should never have released the car to me), is that when the Taycans arrived to the dealership without PMCCs, supposedly the dealerships asked for guidance as to whether they should release to the cars to customers, and someone higher up the food chain (my rep said "the director") said to release them. If all this is true, it was a gamble that paid off.

Now why the parts guy at largest dealership didn't have the memo that this was happening? Well neither did the Taycan spokesperson, nor did the the nice lady at Porsche NA corporate (after my post my wife spoke to someone that was surprised by all of this and vowed to check with her supervisors as well as Porsche AG). My guess is that this was just a narrow window event. It started and ended over a 4-5 days and a big manufacturer like Porsche didn't have enough time to work on a response before the problem was over. In fact they probably didn't have enough time for someone to hear that there might even need to be a response. Almost all manufacturers (Tesla being an exception) are structured so that the dealership is the really the only public facing division. My guess is that the outbound logistics division for Porsche AG never communicates with Porsche NA. I bet outbound logistics only communicates with the export port, because that's the next link in their logistics chain; then the export port communicates with the logistics company that owns the ships, and the ship company communicates the Jax Port. When I connect the dots backward, the GM of the dealership (on Monday) told me that this issue was discovered at the Jax port. The shipping company knew about it, so they could tell the Jax Port but the details were just too fuzzy to give the dealerships (or the customers) anything concrete so it just felt like I was being strung along.

OP
OP

akcpvzk

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
that’s a great install for future proofing your garage for now and the future - 100 amp circuit for future is great - just wanna make sure you don’t get the clippercreek HCS100 charger and expect it to charge your taycan any faster...

the HCS100 is a great product and supports charging _ANY_ EV from 20-80 amps - but if you own a Taycan you MUST purchase the 19.2 kW charging option to take advantage of the ClipperCreek 80 amp charge rate

normal Taycan’s can charge at 11 kW or 48 amps

a 100 amp circuit is a great option for your garage - and prepares you for the future and dual EV chargers - but it not fully useable with a single EV - but a great way to make the 2nd EV easier...

the ClipperCreek HCS 60 matches the Taycan’s north american full charge rate - 11 kW 48 amps (60 amp breaker)
the CLipperCreek HCS 50 matches the PMCC charge rate and comes in 3 options (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 6-50, Hardwired) - 9.6 kW 40 amps (50 amp breaker)
Interestingly enough, I happened to get the previous generation L2 Tesla wall connector (Gen 2) off of Ebay because I wanted the longer cord. It can push out up to 80amps, unlike Tesla's latest L2 charger, that only does 48amps. Unfortunately, my electrician just followed latest Tesla guidance and put it on a 60amp circuit. That's just fine for my 2021 Model X because it can only pull in 11-12KWh so I honestly didn't even know that the Gen 2 could push out more amps.

But now that I've been researching alternates solutions while waiting for my PMCC....
Why can't I just change out the 60amp circuit to a 100amp circuit, buy a 80amp Tesla/J1772 adapter, and get something close to the full 19.2KWh charge rate with my Taycan? When I paid the $1680 for that upgrade I didn't realize the PMCC could only do half that, but I might already have the solution right there on the wall of my garage.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I can absolutely agree with @daveo4EV, the chargers is very overpriced, that is the Porsche tax.

But I will strongly disagree that it is useless. Here in Europe we can have 3 phase connection and the charger then delivers 22 kW. 3 phase power supply is a real differentiator compared to the US. And none of the cables get hot when charging at full power. The 2020 Taycan unfortunately can not make use of this but others can. The Zoe for example works just fine. Early Teslas should work fine also but I have not tested. The charger as part of the Porsche system will also show the charging cycle on MyPorsche if it is connected via WiFi. It can be configured to be private or work etc and show the cost for each charge if needed and you are interested.

And one really great feature we can have in Europe is that it is portable! You can take it with you, plug into a standard 3 phase Commando socket and have 22 kW on the road. I would have loved to have had the option of 22 kW in the car and could hve charged the car quite quickly at the marina. Just plug in and you are charging!

I will agree that it is quite big but it works great. I guess long term quality will show in a few years time.

Take it for what it is and you will be happy, but there are alternatives of course. Are they any better. Time will tell.
It's a paid option in our country, exactly 1701 € ... and when I signed a contract I didn't know how much it's overpriced.
It might be useful, but I'm in doubt that I can found 3phase, 400V sockets "everywhere on the road".... with a sufficently strong fuse (32A) that would really provide 22 kw.
At homes/houses, it's standard/common to have 25A (that means approx 17kw), but that's for all consumers throughout the house, with a max 16A (11 kw) fuse on individual "line".
In the garage (office building) there are several sockets on some parking place, all of them with fuses of 16A (I'm trying to get 32A).

In other words: just a cable with appropriate connector would do the job for home charging.
Sponsored

Last edited: