Taycan 4S First Thoughts

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Alright, I'm jumping on the "first impressions" bandwagon. Here is my build. PLSHB2S8

I'll start with the summary. The Taycan is a marvel of a car and unbelievably good. It not only sets a new bar for EVs, but a new bar for cars in general. I have driven a lot of different cars from many manufacturers and I'm incredibly picky.. but the Taycan is just next level stuff. If this isn't the best daily driver ever made.. I don't know what is. (I've owned a 2017 Panamera Turbo, 2017 Macan Turbo, iPace, and lesser cars; extensively driven a 991.2 4S, 992 4S, 2020 RS5, 2020 RS3; messed around in plenty of other stuff)

Things I love about the car;
-Honestly pretty much everything but I'll try to narrow it down.
-Dynamically it's the best balance of sportiness & luxury I've driven. Just fantastic. The handling is absolutely fantastic and certainly on par with a 992, but not as raw as the track focused Porsches.
-The surprising amount of personality in the car. It's dynamically interesting which is something you can't say about other EVs, and frankly most cars these days.
-The car is an absolute road trip cruiser. Quiet, super comfortable, relaxing, but instant incredible power the second you want it. Bonkers.
-Included in this, the car feels like it's standing still at 90 mph. Ultra stable at high speeds.
-The ENTIRE aesthetic of the car. Just the right mix of sporty & understated exterior, a super clean modern interior. The gauge cluster is the best I've ever seen and a joy to use.
-The efficiency. I don't know how Porsche has done it but they've made an EV that scoffs at high speeds and hard acceleration. So far it's had negligible impact on my range or efficiency. I would absolutely feel comfortable hyper miling 300 miles in this car if I needed to.

Things I like about the car;
-The infotainment & climate screen. I have had zero issues with either and I'm surprised how much I like them. They look fantastic and work perfectly for me.. not sure if it's the latest software update or what but I've had zero lag or glitches. I'm also surprised by how much I like the climate screen and scroll pad, initially I disliked them but I've done a complete 180 and really enjoy using it.

Things I don't like;
-The backup & surround camera are mind bogglingly bad. I don't really use them anyway but they are the worst I've ever seen. Maybe a software issue? But barely functional.
-I'm terrified parking it anywhere because I love it and don't want it to get scratched. :CWL:

I would 100% buy this car over any Porsche with a turbocharger. I think it's better than a 992 and much much much better than a Panamera. I'd still take a NA flat six with a stick for a day around the track but I'd want to drive home in the Taycan.

svp6

Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Alright, I'm jumping on the "first impressions" bandwagon. Here is my build. PLSHB2S8

Things I don't like;
-The backup & surround camera are mind bogglingly bad. I don't really use them anyway but they are the worst I've ever seen. Maybe a software issue? But barely functional.
-I'm terrified parking it anywhere because I love it and don't want it to get scratched. :CWL:

I would 100% buy this car over any Porsche with a turbocharger. I think it's better than a 992 and much much much better than a Panamera. I'd still take a NA flat six with a stick for a day around the track but I'd want to drive home in the Taycan.
First, congratulations!!!
Second, criticism: no pics ?!? Feed the crowd...:)
Tap on the icon left side and the backup camera image is more in line with what you would expect from a camera - but the guides are gone. The sad part was that the dealer gave me a Macan today as a loaner while I had the update installed - perfect backup camera..... Talk about being envious....

OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
First, congratulations!!!
Second, criticism: no pics ?!? Feed the crowd...:)
Tap on the icon left side and the backup camera image is more in line with what you would expect from a camera - but the guides are gone. The sad part was that the dealer gave me a Macan today as a loaner while I had the update installed - perfect backup camera..... Talk about being envious....
I drove all the way to the coast to take pics today and it was cloudy & all of the good photos spots I knew of were jam packed. Feels bad. Next week I'll get a bunch!

wmras

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
"I'd still take a NA flat six with a stick for a day around the track but I'd want to drive home in the Taycan."
Nice! You nailed it for me Frank!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster, Bolt, Taycan
Country flag
I'd still take a NA flat six with a stick for a day around the track but I'd want to drive home in the Taycan.
this mirrors my feelings exactly - driving an EV to/from the track to flog your NA GT3 beast is the best of both worlds - all the pro’s none of the con’s

OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A few thoughts on options. I went into my build choices with a firm budget of $130k. My goal was to get the best driving Taycan possible, both in terms of sportiness & comfort.

Volcano Grey is a fantastic color. It's one of those colors that is subtle from a distance and stunning up close. I almost went Mamba Green or Gentian Blue but in the end I'm glad I got VG, if just to be a little more subtle.

Turbo Aero wheels. Very happy with these, would spec again regardless of budget. (Or go base wheels and upgrade aftermarket)

I mentioned on another thread but the Standard interior has far exceeded my expectations. On every other Porsche I've seen the Standard interior has been very low quality but they really bumped it up in the Taycan.

Rear Axle Steering. It is integrated perfectly and you never "notice" it, you just get a car that's amazingly agile for the size. I'd always recommend speccing this.

Sports Chrono. A must spec on a Porsche car and should be standard, IMHO.

PTV+. 100% yes. It's on every high trim Porsche and speccing it helps bridge that gap.

Premium Package. Hmm (for non US customers that's Bose, 14 ways, P+ battery, sunroof, matrix headlights, surround view, comfort access, lane change assist) Everything is a great must have except the surround view. So far I've found it a terrible implementation and kind of useless. But I'll play with settings and update if it gets better. Please don't buy the car without LCA, it's the best and least instrusive safety option available.

What I would have changed;
I would consider adding one of the interior trim packages for a little extra character. Maybe colored seat belts as well.
ACC would probably be next up on my list of options. The car is a fantastic highway cruiser and this would be a nice touch.
Two tone leather is fantastic but it'd be further down my list. It's just very expensive for a purely aesthetic choice. If I had a limitless budget it'd be an easy add, though.

That's it. I don't think there are other options I'd add.

MissionC

Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@PanameraFrank agree with your options list other than Sport Chrono. I spend 90% of my time toggling between Normal and Sport, and the Sport button does that just fine. The actual chronograph is useless to me and I really dislike the look and don’t need a touch of analog in my otherwise digital car.

I did the dark silver accents on the interior, along with the door sill guards in brushed black aluminum (best free option ever) and love how those accentuate the black standard interior. I don’t have PTV+ as I wasn’t sure how, with my general driving, it would help, but I think it’s one of the future Function on Demand options, so can try it out that way.

Haven’t missed ACC, but agree that I would spec if I had to do it all over again. That said, the beauty of these cars is the individuality and that you basically can’t make a wrong choice. I love my build and sounds like you do, too!

Dave T

Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 550, Taycan Turbo (ordered)
Country flag
@PanameraFrank The actual chronograph is useless to me and I really dislike the look and don’t need a touch of analog in my otherwise digital car.
Agreed! Porsche isn’t the only car company that thinks we want an analog clock in our cars. I don’t get it. Just give me the digital time, and show it all the time. My BMW is annoying in another way, there are lots of situations where it doesn’t show the time at all.

OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Fair enough. For me Chrono & PTV+ are maybe more mental than anything. I want to know my Taycan isn't "missing" performance even if it might be performance I never use.

I also will be spending almost all of my non-highway time in Sport Plus, though, and pushing the car as hard as it'll safely go on public roads. That's just not realistic use for most, especially as the tolerances of the car are so high to start with.

Cilviloze

Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E class, Boxster
Country flag
It's very nice to read your comment on options. My order is similar spec to yours. I get the extended leather though.

I didn't spec the matrix light. Should I?

I wasn't sure about the LCA so it's comforting to know someone like it.

OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
It's very nice to read your comment on options. My order is similar spec to yours. I get the extended leather though.

I didn't spec the matrix light. Should I?

I wasn't sure about the LCA so it's comforting to know someone like it.
Nah, I'd only get the matrix lights if they're bundled with something else.

LCA is really a fantastic option. The view out the sides is only okay (out the rear nearly nonexistent) and the mirrors seem a little small to me, so it just adds safety. It's standard on almost every car these days and silly that Porsche charges for it.

OP
PanameraFrank

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Okay! I'm over 1k miles and had a chance to wring it out (8.5/10) on some very sporty roads that I've also driven a 2017 Panny Turbo and a 992 4S on. So further thoughts.

The 14 way seats are fine but not amazing. Hoping they break in a bit more and I do wish they had more bolstering. The 18s in the Macan & 911 are perfection.

I do miss the sound during very sporty driving. The Panameras V8 was quiet but lovely and the 992s flat six is fantastic, if a little Turbo-y. 95% of the time I prefer the silence of the Taycan but I do really miss it in that 5%.

It really is right between a Panamera and 911, probably a bit closer to the 911. You do feel the weight on corner entry but grip & corner exit are both absurd. It handles quick turns and nimble driving much better than the Panamera, but the 911s size advantage does make a notable difference. Even in hard driving, though, it is a luxurious ride and bumps/dips don't bother it at all.

The Pilot Sport 4s do a fantastic job on this car. Awesome tires.

I would never consider a Panamera over this but if not for my dog I might still get the 992 instead. It's close.

Advertisement