ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
What would be the point of this, if you already have a phone that can make calls, access the internet, and stream music to the car?
Though I understand what you are saying about having the car simply use your phones mobile hotspot which seems viable, realize it would only function when you are in the car. The other advantage of a independent connected car is you ability to check on it when you are away. Maybe at home it can be on WiFi again, but when you are out at the beach or such and want to check on your vehicle, also used for GPS locating of your vehicle. Those are the motivations I know of to get you to maintain a data plan for the car.

My $0.02...
Sponsored

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
What would be the point of this, if you already have a phone that can make calls, access the internet, and stream music to the car?
I call with wifi-calling via the hot spot much better reception..
And for the Apple Music..

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Once the free Porsche connect stuff was up, I just added my Macan to my AT&T family plan and it shares data with everything else. More convenient to just have stuff use the car as a hotspot than my phone when driving (especially given the car having better antennas). Since the built-in nav doesn't show where the cops are, it's useless anyway. I have no use for Apple Music.

What I really want to see working is wireless CarPlay... :p

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
You left out gps. Louv could have travelled the continent just using his phone but he liked using the in dash tech same as most folks.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You left out gps. Louv could have travelled the continent just using his phone but he liked using the in dash tech same as most folks.
You need a subscription for the GPS?? Never heard of that.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
You need a subscription for the GPS?? Never heard of that.
The car needs access to internet for Google Maps Satellite view via GPS. Very common requirement in newer cars that have Satellite view. I think that the street view does not require this if you are willing to just have that, but then you won't get updated maps.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
How about traffic information for the maps? And information about charging stations? I guess this would come via the mobile network?

I can live without the other useless things that they are trying to push on you but traffic would be necessary. But not for the price they re asking though.

I really want Apple Car Play wireless though. Then I have navigation and all the necessary functions with traffic etc. Will CarPlay wireless be available in the car.

domrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Has anyone successfully connected their car to an external wifi hotspot? The user manual says there should be a «Search for external WiFi hotspot» option under WiFi settings, but it doesnt appear on my pcm.

Personally, I would like to connect to my wifi network for connectivity in a garage that doesnt have cell coverage.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Has anyone successfully connected their car to an external wifi hotspot? The user manual says there should be a «Search for external WiFi hotspot» option under WiFi settings, but it doesnt appear on my pcm.

Personally, I would like to connect to my wifi network for connectivity in a garage that doesnt have cell coverage.
Humm, yes in my Good To Know online manual it talks about being potentially county specific, be really surprised Norway was an issue though.
Porsche Taycan Taycan and Wifi Screenshot_20200419-135906

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in Spain and own a Mercedes E63S. It does do OTA updates of the maps and minor software issues. It informs you when an update has been made. However, all major software updates are done at the dealer and when there are major updates to several systems and controllers, the update software can take up to 6 hours ! Granted, the speed of their connection may be slow. What I am getting to is that major updates should be done at the dealer because they decide whether each sub-system should be upgraded or not, as they have service information with comments from all the network. Aside from that, they must test-drive the vehicle after all major updates that involve any safety-related system. My car has almost 100 controllers with all the extras and functionalities. Today each front seat for instance has its own controller ! Not only for position memory, but also heating and ventilation, lumbar pneumatic support and massage functions for instance. The complexity involved in a modern car is unthinkable ! I hope to offend no one by posting a couple of photos from this machine. Sorry - could be off-topic and hopefully not against rules. I will be keeping this gas guzzler when I receive the Taycan for travelling with lots of luggage and no range anxiety depending on destination. The Taycan will be used for for short weekend trips and for city duties except when needing to haul serious volumes. My Taycan Turbo S is going to be my first Porsche.

IMG_9414.jpeg

IMG_9415.jpeg
No offence taken. The engine in that car of yours was one of the reasons I almost didn’t buy a Taycan. The sound it makes is a thing of beauty.

domrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Humm, yes in my Good To Know online manual it talks about being potentially county specific, be really surprised Norway was an issue though.
Right. So the wifi hotspot actually works. This is the part that doesnt:
Porsche Taycan Taycan and Wifi 3FA21305-DC45-41FA-B7B1-030D9CA0B329

I’ve asked my sales rep too - waiting to hear back from him.

domrot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Heard back from sales rep, he couldnt find it either and thought this might come in a future sw upgrade. A bit odd it’s described in the manual, though.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Heard back from sales rep, he couldnt find it either and thought this might come in a future sw upgrade. A bit odd it’s described in the manual, though.
If it is like my Panamera you need to turn off the internal SIM card for it to work. In the menu look for telephones, generally the PCM telephone. Turn off. Then you will be able to search for the external hot spot and connect.
Sponsored