Taycan Artificial Exhaust Sound Option Worth Adding?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I didn't even notice the Taycan I drove on demo had a glass roof until I got out. I am 6' tall and got back in and had to turn and look back and up to see through it, I was certainly unaware of it in the front seat driving or passenger.

I didn't bother with it. I actually disliked the glass roof in a previous car anyway so given I much preferred the look of the sculpted ally roof and it is lighter it was an easy economy for me.
Have to admit, you really don't notice the pano roof much in the front.

But it would be dark without it, so in retrospect I would have gone metal roof and red interior (I can't unsee the black interior since you joined here Frank 🤣)
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have the sound and turn it on when parking and driving around supermarket areas to park and also other areas, so that people can hear there is a car nearby. So it’s more of a safety issue
You do know that your car already emits sound at low speeds for safety reasons, right?

Raphie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s (21)
Country flag
I don’t like pano, mine is closed, I do like sports sound, it’s the amplified electric sound blended with some synthesized rumble. I love it, very well engineered.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Cant comment on standard pano ….but the variable light roof starts 300mm from where windscreen ends at 6ft you don’t even have to tilt head hardly …you can look up and see out
Same for me with the standard pano. (I sometimes see the sun through it and am pleased to report that whatever treatment its had stops any dazzle provided you don't stare directly at it (the sun)). I guess the differing experiences at similar heights are down to variation in our preferred driving positions for seat and steering wheel.
But this is a quick and easy one to check out in person.

HerrCooles

First Name
Herr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ice grey
Country flag
It only sounds good during immediate acceleration. As soon as you reach the allowed speed, it sounds as if you forgot to shift.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Don’t have it. Had it on a loaner. Horrible sound. Had it only on for 2 seconds. Turned it on again when my wife came in. She asked if something was broken in the loaner. But all very personal of course I like quit. Like many others said do a test see if you like it.

Pano roof: also prefer the black roof look on my Dolomite Silver CT. Less a thing with dark colors. And most important: had to take it for the roof rails. Additional : quite difficult to clean without stripes.

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've been thinking about this and trying to understand why some people hate the sound and others love it.

There's one aspect that might be influencing the choice of having the sound on or off.

Thx to @JimBob's post above, I realised that the highway (autobahn, whatever you call it) is the worst place to have it on. The sound quickly becomes monotone and boring.

On the other hand, take a country road (I'm thinking the N2 in Portugal - longest road in Europe, classified as patrimony of humanity, full of curves and counter curves in the middle of lovely scenarios of Cork trees and branches hanging over the road and beautiful centuries old bridges) and I can see how the sound can add an extra to the sportier driving, taking the curves, braking and accelerating constantly.

There's a reason several car manufactures come here to launch their new models and often do press/journalist trips through the N2 (I remember too often seeing dozen of MBs or Audis in groups displaying several colors travelling up and down that road).

Food for thought

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
IMHO, it is a critically important SAFETY option if you drive in urban areas. I do think it makes a difference, and I see pedestrians take note, which is a big contrast from my previous Tesla, which was absolutely silent. In the Tesla, I cannot tell you how often I had people just walk out in front of me. I am still very careful in the Taycan, but I do have fewer people walking out in front of the car.

And for what it's worth, the minute I get out of pedestrian heavy areas, I turn it off . . .

xyeahtony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Integra 6MT, 23 CT4S
Country flag
IMHO, it is a critically important SAFETY option if you drive in urban areas. I do think it makes a difference, and I see pedestrians take note, which is a big contrast from my previous Tesla, which was absolutely silent. In the Tesla, I cannot tell you how often I had people just walk out in front of me. I am still very careful in the Taycan, but I do have fewer people walking out in front of the car.

And for what it's worth, the minute I get out of pedestrian heavy areas, I turn it off . . .
The car still makes sounds without the sport sound option. All EVs/Hybrids since 2020 by law are required to emit a sound under 18.5mph. Called the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS).

my 22 Tesla makes a clear noise anytime i back out of my garage that my 18 tesla never did.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
The car still makes sounds without the sport sound option. All EVs/Hybrids since 2020 by law are required to emit a sound under 18.5mph. Called the Pedestrian Warning System (PWS).

my 22 Tesla makes a clear noise anytime i back out of my garage that my 18 tesla never did.
To be clear, I am talking about above 18.5 mph. Actually, below 18.5 is far less dangerous than at 25 mph - 35 mph where jaywalkers tend to just walk out. So I remain ecstatic to have the option to keep sound on above 18.5.
Just kill a pedestrian even if you are absolutely blameless and your life will never be the same.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
To be clear, I am talking about above 18.5 mph. Actually, below 18.5 is far less dangerous than at 25 mph - 35 mph where jaywalkers tend to just walk out. So I remain ecstatic to have the option to keep sound on above 18.5.
Just kill a pedestrian even if you are absolutely blameless and your life will never be the same.
I have read that they have chosen this speed because above this tire and road noise is supposed to be sufficient to do the job. Otherwise they might as wel leave it on with all speeds. You cant really hear it inside the car anayway.
Sponsored