snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Comment on Auto Insurance Rates -- This past year has seen a huge increase in auto insurance rates for ALL cars in Washington State, not just Porsches. In the last 6 months I've seen an ~25% increase in premiums for both my 2021 Taycan 4s and our 2021 Lexus RX450h. There were also smaller increases in the previous year.

Neither my wife nor I have any claims or tickets - it's just that the requests by insurance companies for adjusted premium that were made to the State Insurance Commissioner in WA State a few years ago have been approved over the past 6-9 months.

Because these rates are affecting all owners and vehicles, I don't see any impact of auto insurance rates on my decision about whether to own a Porsche or not. I love my car and plan to keep it for 3-5 more years. I also plan to purchase an extended warranty at the end of 4 years.
Sponsored

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Not had a insurance quote yet.

I will check today.

Not expecting it to be worse than other cars I’ve had quotes on (R8, 991, m3 x drive)

Ive been trying to learn as much as I can as I’ve had no interest in EV’s before now.
State Farm charges me $3,000 a year. I’m a low mileage user, store it in a commercial garage, but live in a city with a spike in car jacking by teens. This is for a 21 4S.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
BTW - My favorite click-bait "EV issue" involves EV fires. Happens so infrequently compared to ICE cars that it is amazing, but everyone gets bent out of shape anyway. Check out this recent article.

Don't get worried about every little issue hitting headlines today. The futures so bright I gotta wear shades :cool:
Do not read this: Luxury Porsche EV car worth ฿10 million self-ignites and is destroyed in minutes at a central Bangkok dealership dated May 25, 2024.
;)

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

OP
OP

Bailey.

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Amarok, Leon hybrid
Country flag
Insurance quote was a bit ridiculous.

it’s cheaper to insure a R8 V10 which I guess is why Taycans are so cheap in the U.K.

alexsas

First Name
Alexey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, I3
Country flag
I am holding on to mine with the hope it will get better…. But probably very naive…

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
When I pay for the extended warranty I don’t see any reason to sell. It is a sexy vehicle with a timeless design, is practical (I have the ST), plenty space for the children, impressive charging peaks and short waiting times, medium range, and huge depreciation. So no reason to sell coming years. I only regret not getting rear seat entertainment and 4 zone climate control. But not worth getting a new one for.

I don’t fear a failing battery when keeping the car for 10 years. It has 8 years of insurance, and Tesla already has proof that older batteries are still in ok-isch condition. And in a couple of years I expect multiple suppliers for failing modules or battery packs.

I would like to turn this thread around; why does anyone think this is not a long term vehicle?

Last edited:

Cuisle

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT, EQS 450+, BMW iX 50
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
I bought my CT with the intention to hold it long term. I drew the spec with that in mind. And I’m using it well. So I see no reason not to. No problems at all so far.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
When I bot my 2020 4s, it was with the intention of holding for 6-8 years so I also got the extended warranty. Subsequent events, ie. resale value, have, made this the most realistic option. If resale had held up, I would have a considered the Macan EV as I am getting older and don't have too many cars left in my future, but the trade would be financially silly, so off the table. Maybe I have grown out of the stage of just pissing money away.

So I have a car, that looks great, drives great, and costs little to operate. Do I feel hard done by? Not really, What upsets me the most is that given the cost to repair the car is essentially junk when out of warranty. What a waste of resources.

Gino

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Boxster & 2021 Taycan
Country flag
Does anyone plan to keep their car long term?

Im considering a Taycan as they seem great value atm.

Im not really into EV’s like most EV drivers seem to be, but I’ve always liked the look of the Taycan sport turismo. I was shocked when I seen how cheap they are used.

I’ve seen a lot about EV prices dropping on the news and on YouTube. But not really paid much attention due to my general lack of interest in EV’s.

My big concerns are battery health/longevity and extended warranty.

If I buy a 22 I will still have a year of warranty and 3 years extended is £3000.

The depreciation will still be heavy so I would be looking to keep the car long term.

My gut feeling is these cars work better as a company car or lease than a long term ownership proposition.

Would appreciate owner opinions rather than opinions on the EV threads on general car forums like pistonheads, which just descend into chaos.

Thanks
I just bought a 2021 Taycan CPO with the extended warranty to 2032 and the battery warranty until 2030.
I’m hoping by then I will have a better feel about the reliability of the Taycan and the long term replacement costs of the battery modules.
I have to believe Porsche/Audi which uses the same batteries will have to come up with a long term plan to support their EV’s in a reasonable way so these vehicles don’t get branded as “disposable”.
I am also certain third party battery replacements will become common at a much lower cost than Porsche but the question will be what kind of warranty will these 3rd party shops offer if they don’t replace the charging system as well to insure the new batteries are properly charged during the new warranty period.
The Taycan is my first EV and it’s beauty is second to none compared to all EVs so I took a chance to hopefully have another 6 years of driving pleasure with no worries and then after that hopefully there will be options for repairing or replacing batteries which are more reasonable than today. If not, I’ll be hitting 70 and I might not care. Living in Newport Beach, CA I could still be happy with 100 miles of range to drive around town to run errands, go to the beach in a really expensive golf cart…. Good luck & enjoy!

Faxter

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan, Mercedes AMG C63s
Country flag
I went for a 2020 Turbo with 19k miles.
After 7 months it refused to start. It’s been at Porsche for nearly 7 weeks. They have decided it needs a new HV battery. They reckon 4 weeks to sort. I’m on to the finance company to get out of the deal. The dealership have admitted they have a number of problem Taycans.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I am in the "keep it as long as possible" camp.
Even at the high cost of repairs, I can justify owning it beyond warrantee,
Currently I have the comprehensive 84 month Porsche warrantee in addition to the 96/100k miles battery warrantee.
Over the past 3.5 years my 2020 4S has been trouble-free, excepting issues of my own making....I stripped off the rear passenger jack block on a curb, and punctured a radiator foolishly driving behind a gravel truck.
I plan to keep it as long as I can and add a Cayman E to the fleet when they arrive in the U.S. So far, after 25k miles, I have had to replace front summer tires, and will replace all four winter tires in November.
I loved my 2016 Panamera, but the Taycan beats if hands down.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The most serendipitous thing that could happen to an older Taycan is for the battery to fail in about year 6 of the warranty and you get a new replacement under warranty. I dream about this.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 ST GTS
Country flag
I only intended to have my Taycan CT4 2yrs max and then move into a Macan.

I ended up keeping it 6 months but traded in for an ST GTS. After only having this 16 days, of which one week I was on holiday without it, I can actually see me keeping it for a long time. Its amazing.
Sponsored