MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I have the HEM installed and it has not helped. Its only function is to prevent your wall charger from overloading your house's grid connection.
I dont quite understand that when i read the specs for the HEM…

Looks like it was supposed to make the charging programmable in every way?

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] 9767D1B9-C856-4933-91D2-D0CC658FBD69
Sponsored

craig3101

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan MY2022
Country flag
My first long charge with 12-4am profile and 4am timer. kWh power draw in 30-minute blocks.
ss (2022-01-03 at 08.32.14).png

From this I can now provide a comprehensive guide for getting your Taycan to charge the way you want it to:
  1. Set your preferred charging time via profile and/or timer.
  2. Wrong.
Hi Jonathan @chylld

May I suggest you try these steps to see if it works:
  1. Access your HEM via Hotspot (instructions should be in an envelope that came with the HEM)
  2. Enter your variable electricity tariff (for the period between 12am and 4am) - may be fake a tariff that makes this period cheaper than the other period
  3. Select "cost-optimised charging" under the <Energy Manager> - <Optimised Charging> tab within the HEM
  4. Then, in your car, make sure you tick "Optimised charging" under the profile that you are using
  5. Finally - and this is the thing I have been omitting to make it work - go to the car <Settings> - <Charging> - [Overview] - < ... > Find the three dots under overview, and then select "Activate Plug and Charge".
This is what worked for me. Let me know if it works for you too.

Cheers
Craig

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
As many of you guys, I also found that it’s impossible to program the charging to optimize the use of the cheap electricity rates at night.

I just would like to have a general profile which would start the charge at 02.00 AM, and stop again at AM 05.30 or if the SoC would reach 85% within this period.

I would assume, that I need the Porsche Home Energy Manager installed for this to be possible??

Does anyone have this device installed and confirm this is the Way to optimize the cost of charging?
My charging setup is as follows:

I have a non-Porsche home charger – called a Zappi v2. While the charger has a lot of smarts built into it – I don't use any of it. So for my purposes its a dumb charger.

I want to achieve the following in terms of AC charging:
  • In general when out-and-about I want to charge the car fully to 100% as quickly as possible.
  • When at home I want to charge the car to 80% between the hours of 23.00 and 08.00 – which is the off-peak times in Ireland.
  • I only want to charge to 80% as that is the recommended maximum for daily usage with my MY21 Taycan,
  • If I plug in my car at my home location and its under 25% then it will charge immediately up to 25% and then stop for off-peak period.
I achieve this with the following setup:
  • I set a general charging profile to have a minimum state of charge of 100% and I set this to "optimised charging".
  • I set an additional location based charging profile set to my home's location – to have "preferred charging times". This I set the minimum state of charge of 25% (the smallest allowed) and a "preferred charging" time of 23.00 to 08.00.
  • I then add a timer to trigger daily – Monday to Sunday – setting the target state of charge to 80% and the target time to 08.00 – when my off-peak period ends.
This setup allows me to achieve the charging goals I set out above. I think if you setup similar and change the numbers to match your situation you will achieve what you want without any Home Energy Manager of PMCC smarts. The car itself has enough configuration options – though they are confusing.

Last edited:

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Hi Jonathan @chylld

May I suggest you try these steps to see if it works:
  1. Access your HEM via Hotspot (instructions should be in an envelope that came with the HEM)
  2. Enter your variable electricity tariff (for the period between 12am and 4am) - may be fake a tariff that makes this period cheaper than the other period
  3. Select "cost-optimised charging" under the <Energy Manager> - <Optimised Charging> tab within the HEM
  4. Then, in your car, make sure you tick "Optimised charging" under the profile that you are using
  5. Finally - and this is the thing I have been omitting to make it work - go to the car <Settings> - <Charging> - [Overview] - < ... > Find the three dots under overview, and then select "Activate Plug and Charge".
This is what worked for me. Let me know if it works for you too.

Cheers
Craig
Thanks for the idea... I have entered all my tariff periods (12!) and done all other steps. Still using a timer tonight (as I ran the car down to 21% and need it charged for tomorrow) but will try disabling the timer after tomorrow and seeing if the charge takes.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My charging setup is as follows:

I want to achieve the following in terms of AC charging:
  • In general when out-and-about I want to charge the car fully to 100% as quickly as possible.
I achieve this with the following setup:
  • I set a general charging profile to have a minimum state of charge of 100% and I set this to "optimised charging".
Your general charging profile - to get your car to 100% - controls charging when your car is plugged into an AC charger when the car is not at home.
Does that profile control/limit/affect charging at a DC charger?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Does that profile control/limit/affect charging at a DC charger?
No profile or timer impacts DC charging - only AC. DC is always as much as possible as quick as possible.

Last edited:

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
@craig3101 no luck last night, so I reset my HEM and made sure it's reliably on my network now and the charger sees it properly etc... try again tonight. Not terribly optimistic though, as the charging status says "charge completed" - is that what yours says when you plug it in early?

Also, do I need to have my timer active for this to work?

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
@craig3101 no luck last night, so I reset my HEM and made sure it's reliably on my network now and the charger sees it properly etc... try again tonight. Not terribly optimistic though, as the charging status says "charge completed" - is that what yours says when you plug it in early?

Also, do I need to have my timer active for this to work?
Yes, the timer is required for this. The profile sets the minimum SoC, that should be reached as quickly as possible, ignoring any tariffs.

Now the timer is meant for charging the car not only to a specific time at a specific SoC, but also in the most cost effective way.

When the car send a timer to the charger, this will be sent to the HEMS. The HEMS then knows how much energy the car needs at which end time. As it knows the tariffs, it will send this cost list back to the car. The car will then create a charging plan with this information so all targets are reached: SoC at a time, most cost effective charge.

The required settings are as @craig3101 explained.
In the EV:
- Enable a profile
- Enable Plug & Charge
- Setup a timer
In the HEMS:
- Enable "cost-optimised charging"

It doesn't matter if the PMCC is connected to the HEMS hotspot, or connected by other networking means. They have to be in the same home network to see each other. You'll see a house like icon on the top left of the PMCC display if this is the case. Though I recommend a PLC connection, as the WIFI of the PMCC sometimes disconnects and has problems with WIFI setups that change channels for optimization purposes.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Thank you @AndiL - reactivated my 7am daily timer via my app and it's looking positive - charging status went from "complete" to "pause"!

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] ss (2022-01-05 at 10.03.16)

Hopefully wake up tomorrow to one small victory that gets my Taycan ownership experience closer to the smoothness of its Tesla predecessor.

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
Technically the EV, the EVSE and the HEMS could also present its charging plan, as the EV informs all them about its created plan. Would help a lot providing confidence.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] ss (2022-01-06 at 08.42.48)

The car charged between 12-4am, when my electricity is cheapest. Optimised charging profile with full tariff table and 7am daily timer.

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] ss (2022-01-06 at 08.44.49)

Handily, it also calculates for me the cost of each charge:

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] ss (2022-01-06 at 08.47.38)

Thank you @craig3101 and @AndiL for your help.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can you help me understand “85% min”? If I want to charge to 85% maximum, why do they call it “minimum”?

I can understand the “immediately charge to a minimum level” to help preserve battery health (you don’t want to keep a battery with low state of charge low for an extended period of time). So “charge immediately to 25%” makes sense.

But “85% min”?
Typical Porsche overthinking - It's very Land Roveresque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Porsche Taycan 4S, '23 Porsche Macan S
Country flag
I give up, no matter what I do when I plug the car in, it charges to 100% every single time!!

Any idea why it says, "No active profile" even though I have clearly set one up and enabled it?

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 10.28.21 PM
Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 10.30.30 PM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Porsche Taycan 4S, '23 Porsche Macan S
Country flag
I believe I just solved my issue. I deleted the profile that I created named "Home" and simply created a new one. Sent to the car and my newly created "Home" profile is now active! 🙌🏻

Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 10.48.41 PM