rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Audi A3 TFSIe Hybrid, Porsche 964 (gone..)
Country flag
Have You watched this video?

I think this is the best instruction on the charging settings you will find.
Hope this helps you understand.
Thanks Peter - I hadn't seen this one (I subscribe to this guy on Youtube, he's very good) and it explains it very well. But even he says at 1:34 that minimum is really the maximum charge - that was what was confusing me.

The other thing about profiles and timers is I don't have a set routine, as I'm retired and don't have a regular time to be out in the morning. I just want to charge it to 85% for general use and recharge it when it gets down to 25%.

But thanks, that was very helpful!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The other thing about profiles and timers is I don't have a set routine, as I'm retired and don't have a regular time to be out in the morning. I just want to charge it to 85% for general use and recharge it when it gets down to 25%.
Glad it gave you some help. It is not the easiest to understand, I agree. There is some logic to it but it is very engineering driven. porsche could have done a much better job to explain how it works in the good to know app.

If you do not have any specific regular times, the best is probably to set it at the 85% minimum charge and no timers or other things. If you can plug it in at your home, just do so whenever you arrive home. Quite simple and will not harm the battery in any way.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
But even he says at 1:34 that minimum is really the maximum charge - that was what was confusing me.
But he’s wrong. It’s actually the minimum, just as it’s labeled. If it were the maximum, it would not charge above it when a timer is set or when using preferred charge times, but it does.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@rb33gl imagine being at a restaurant and telling the waiter that you want a minimum of 50% water in your glass at all times. If the waiter ever walks by and see your glass at less than 50%, he refills it to 50% because that’s the minimum amount of water you want in the glass. You want at least 50% full of water. That’s a profile on optimized charge.

Then you tell him you’re going to the bathroom and you want the glass to be full by the time you get back. So he fills it to 100% while you’re gone and you come back to a full glass of water. That’s a timer.

Edit: I have another thread with a graphic of this if it helps.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charging-profiles-and-timers-graphic.6314/

Last edited:

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Jeremy, and your graphic is helpful. But it also illustrates my point - the waiter could quite easily fill my glass to 75%, as this is above the minimum of 50%. What I want is a maximum - I don't want more than 50% in that glass!

As your graphic shows, it carries on charging when the timer kicks in to the target - in your illustration 100%. So I guess I'd have to leave it on the minimum and not set a timer...

Now I'm thinking of firing the waiter! ;)

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What I want is a maximum - I don't want more than 50% in that glass!
I understand, and that’s why I said the below in the first post of this thread:

I think a majority of the confusion comes from wanting to just set a maximum on the car, but there’s no way to do that.
So I guess I'd have to leave it on the minimum and not set a timer...
Yes, if you just want to plug in and charge to a set value, use the min on a profile with optimized charging and no timer. This is how I use the car 90% or the time.

rb33gl

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think a majority of the confusion comes from wanting to just set a maximum on the car, but there’s no way to do that.

Thank you Jeremy. This was really the gist of my question to Porsche and you've answered it succinctly. I'll have to find a way of making it work for me.

Incidentally, your other thread shows this is an area of confusion for many owners. My car is a 2022 model (only picked it up a week ago), with all the updates. So Porsche is unlikely to change these settings.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I want to charge to 85% whenever I plug in. I don’t care what time it is.

General Profile
85% Minimum
Optimized Charging

678B861C-2B5C-4DE2-B064-72CBEF58FA87.jpeg

I’m basic. ?
@Jhenson29 Thanks much for this post, this thread, and your other post with the diagram of how charging profiles and timers work together. Those two posts unconfuse the charging control process for me. I read them months ago and re-read to use when I get my car home.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
How incredibly confusing. I simply want my car to charge between 12am-7am (when electricity is cheapest) but last night the car didn't charge at all.

I had set just a profile with a 12-7am preferred charging time, 25% minimum, and activated it. No timers. Plug the car in and it immediately charges to 25%, then stops and does not charge further even when inside the preferred time window.

After much faffing about, I had to set a timer as well (85% daily repeat, with a departure time set at least 1 hour after the current time) in order for it to start charging, but then it completely ignores the profile's preferred time window.

See how it goes tonight with the timer's departure time also set to 7am.

OP
OP
Jhenson29

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How incredibly confusing. I simply want my car to charge between 12am-7am (when electricity is cheapest) but last night the car didn't charge at all.

I had set just a profile with a 12-7am preferred charging time, 25% minimum, and activated it. No timers. Plug the car in and it immediately charges to 25%, then stops and does not charge further even when inside the preferred time window.

After much faffing about, I had to set a timer as well (85% daily repeat, with a departure time set at least 1 hour after the current time) in order for it to start charging, but then it completely ignores the profile's preferred time window.

See how it goes tonight with the timer's departure time also set to 7am.
My car was already done charging on its profile with an 85% min and optimized charging, but I turned on preferred times and set the window to right now and it started charging higher.

Some people have had issues where it didn’t seem like the profile or timer took properly and had to delete and recreate them before it worked as expected.

Note that having a timer set with a departure time at the end of your preferred charging time makes the preferred charging time irrelevant since the timer will control when it starts charging.

And if your profile min is also 25%, then the profile really isn’t doing anything at all because it will charge to a min of 25% when plugged in regardless.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
There is some logic to it but it is very engineering driven
Yes, incredibly confusing. And yes, engineering driven rather than customer driven. And the words 'Direct Charge'? How about 'Start charging'? I charged last night at home and woke up this morning with a 100% charge. Grrrr. I guess I'll figure this out eventually but charging really should not be that difficult.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
Have You watched this video?

I think this is the best instruction on the charging settings you will find.
Hope this helps you understand.
For me, this video only confirms the fact that timers override profiles, as after he went through the trouble of setting a profile with 12-6am preferred charging time, as soon as he activated a timer the car started charging immediately (it was 8:56pm in the video.)

My car charged successfully overnight, reaching 85% at 7am exactly as the timer requested... but I'm pretty sure the profile was completely ignored. I'll try just a profile again tonight, this time with a location-based profile instead of the general profile (which treat the min% differently, according to the video)

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
As many of you guys, I also found that it’s impossible to program the charging to optimize the use of the cheap electricity rates at night.

I just would like to have a general profile which would start the charge at 02.00 AM, and stop again at AM 05.30 or if the SoC would reach 85% within this period.

I would assume, that I need the Porsche Home Energy Manager installed for this to be possible??

Does anyone have this device installed and confirm this is the Way to optimize the cost of charging?

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
I just would like to have a general profile which would start the charge at 02.00 AM, and stop again at AM 05.30 or if the SoC would reach 85% within this period.

I would assume, that I need the Porsche Home Energy Manager installed for this to be possible??
I have the HEM installed and it has not helped. Its only function is to prevent your wall charger from overloading your house's grid connection.

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S
Country flag
My first long charge with 12-4am profile and 4am timer. kWh power draw in 30-minute blocks.
Porsche Taycan Taycan Charging Quick Reference [Profiles and Timers] ss (2022-01-03 at 08.32.14)

From this I can now provide a comprehensive guide for getting your Taycan to charge the way you want it to:
  1. Set your preferred charging time via profile and/or timer.
  2. Wrong.
Sponsored