Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I have been driving a Taycan since November 2020.

The first one a 4S saloon.
Purchase price £90,000
Sold after 18 months to
Webuyanycar. £96,000

The second one. GTS saloon
May 2022
Purchase price £111,000
Valuation today after 18 months
Porsche Taycan Taycan Depreciation IMG_4399

Bit of a difference.
Up 6
Down 50
Some you win…..

Still owe £75,000 on finance.
But have a Guaranteed Future Value of £71,000 next May 2024.
6 months free motoring!

I think I will be handing it back..?
Assuming the value doesn’t rise from £61,000.

Interestingly if I buy a new Taycan Porsche will settle the finance and give me a discount but with interest rates at 11.9% the same (ish) car will be £2000 a month instead of £1000.
And I will be owning another car that depreciates like it has been pushed off a cliff.
My next car might not be a Porsche.
It will still be electric (I am still of sound mind - just)
It will just cost £20,000 not £110,000!
Sponsored

Reactions: 007

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
Seems fairly normal depreciation to me. Your first one was subject to a very strange period of time that’s unlikely to ever be repeated.

110k car worth about half after a few years is about right

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
My ‘22 had a sticker of $142.5, but with tax credits, it cost me about $135k. I assumed 17% depreciation for each of the first three years. So, today, at the two year point, I assumed it would be worth $89k. I priced it aggressively to sell at $85k and have a buyer (and 2-3 backups interested). I could probably have gotten $89k if I was more patient, but my time is worth more than a few $k. Taycan depreciation seems pretty normal to me.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
.... a very strange period of time that’s unlikely to ever be repeated.
From your mouth to whatever god's ears you follow. I will take depreciation over disease, happily.

RKZ

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Panamera GTS sold 2023 Taycan 4s Arrived!
Country flag
Seems fairly normal depreciation to me. Your first one was subject to a very strange period of time that’s unlikely to ever be repeated.

110k car worth about half after a few years is about right
Lamentably, correct. I've been on both sides of the coin. Previous Porsche was a CPO Panamera GTS. Benefitted from previous owner who took the depreciation. Ordered and bought a '23 Taycan 4S. Depreciation all on me. Figure on average I'm about right. Huge fan of both cars and will undoubtedly love the next one. And that will mark the big decision. Do I repeat what I did the first time or the second time? It'll be fun to decide.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I just can't begin to understand how a person can have an aversion to both keeping a car for a length of time and losing money on it. I have heard "you only pay for your first Ferrari", but never about Porsche (or any other brand) - they just keep making more of these cars every day.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
The first calculation is wrong on your story, assuming you bought new. Ignoring the first freak sale/period of ridiculous secondhand values which is unlikely to ever happen again...the car you bought had lost 20% of it's value straight away in VAT to our wonderful government. My terrible maths leads me to this being about £91k or something. So 18 months you have lost ~£30k and the market is depreciated at the moment (may well continue to be so, who knows). So it may be a little above normal for all cars. Except it's a hyper-saloon and in the past I've seen these lose 50% easily in the first 3 years. Seems about on course.

Do Porsche do GMFV? I thought the final payment was just that: a final payment?

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Do Porsche do GMFV? I thought the final payment was just that: a final payment?
I queried this when setting up my finance as it reads exactly as you say.

However I was told it’s the guaranteed value and I have it in writing/email. I specifically asked questions to get the exact answer I was after so have something written down for the future.

West A

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
Agree with the above - it’s a fairly normal depreciation curve. I’m in Sydney and unfortunately the Australian market doesn’t really appreciate the Taycan for what it is. In sep 23 I took delivery of my Cross Turismo.
In Nov I tried to trade it against a Gt4. Paid $265k, offered $160 trade after 9 weeks of motoring…
Now that’s depreciation to get upset about!

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I queried this when setting up my finance as it reads exactly as you say.

However I was told it’s the guaranteed value and I have it in writing/email. I specifically asked questions to get the exact answer I was after so have something written down for the future.
Excuse my inexperience of these things, but leaving aside the terminology, is the final amount not just what you have to pay to keep the vehicle?
If it's worth more than that, you can make the payment to own it for less than its value at that time, but you've borrowed- and paid interest on- a larger amount over the repayment term than was necessary (had the final value been predicted correctly).
If it's worth less, then you've borrowed- and paid interest on- a lower amount over the repayment term than should have been necessary, and rather than make the final payment, you could hand the car back and hope you'll get an opportunity to buy it when it's sold at market value.
Although I got quotes myself, I didn't take the finance, so not sure if my understanding is correct.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Agree with the above - it’s a fairly normal depreciation curve. I’m in Sydney and unfortunately the Australian market doesn’t really appreciate the Taycan for what it is. In sep 23 I took delivery of my Cross Turismo.
In Nov I tried to trade it against a Gt4. Paid $265k, offered $160 trade after 9 weeks of motoring…
Now that’s depreciation to get upset about!
I assume they wanted full price for the GT4! Ouch.

senwar

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY24 CT4
Country flag
Excuse my inexperience of these things, but leaving aside the terminology, is the final amount not just what you have to pay to keep the vehicle?
If it's worth more than that, you can make the payment to own it for less than its value at that time, but you've borrowed- and paid interest on- a larger amount over the repayment term than was necessary (had the final value been predicted correctly).
If it's worth less, then you've borrowed- and paid interest on- a lower amount over the repayment term than should have been necessary, and rather than make the final payment, you could hand the car back and hope you'll get an opportunity to buy it when it's sold at market value.
Although I got quotes myself, I didn't take the finance, so not sure if my understanding is correct.
Yes that’s basically correct. So say final payment 55k and valued at 60k I get 5k collateral but have paid interest on the borrowed amount. If in same scenario it’s only worth 40k I just hand back.

My thought process was I got 15k off purchase and total payment IF I bought it at end was still 3k in my favour. And they carry risk if that makes sense. Only second time I’ve done finance pcp but made sense (altho horrific interest rate hurt)
Sponsored