Talisker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo S, 20 Taycan Turbo, 23 Taycan Turbo S ST
Country flag
If you're thinking of touring Scotland, I thought I'd share my thoughts.
We've just has a week touring Scotland in the Taycan and charging was a nightmare, we used the ChargeScotland App but didn't have the RFID card, around 40% of the chargers were broken, especially at the ferry ports and around another 40% would only work with the RFID card. If you were lucky you might get 40KW/h charging, though most were 7Kw/h or less. GET THE RFID CARD! Some foreign tourists arranged for the card to be delivered to their first nights accommodation.

We used Booking.com for the accommodation and discovered that you can add EV charger as a hotel facility, this helped greatly, though the hotels charge between £35-£50 per night for a charge, regardless of how much power you use. In South Uist you could pay for what you use and Glencoe House the EV charging is free, which was great. Marr Hall Hotel, told us their EV Charger was faulty, only to discover is was so that their staff could charge their own cars (not happy), same with Talisker Distillery, the concierge was charging his car.
Porsche Taycan Taycan in the Scottish Highlands and Islands 1692117555160
Sponsored

anonymouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Sport Turismo
Country flag
Yes the RFID card is essential In rural Scotland. Some of the chargers have lost their network connectivity (eg SIM card expired, contract not renewed) and others never had a decent mobile signal in the first place.

it’s not good to hear how the hotels have treated you. I have found a very variable reception from B&Bs. Some are delighted to enter a new era… Others want to charge exorbitant prices or generally are fearful.

Having said that, every EV driver should at least explore the North Coast 500 as it is a fabulous bit of Highlands scenery.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Thanks for the info.
Not getting the RFID card was an error.
Another thumbs up for North Coast 500 but dont do it in high summer
Clogged with camper vans
Or worse
Groups of 'enthusiasts' from a car club in a huge convoy
I did it early November and was told April May better
Torridon Hotel is en route, expensive but SUPERB and with
Official Porsche destination charger complimentary to guests

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
The North Coast 500 is on my bucket list, hard to get there, do it and get back in a school half term though (we're south west uk)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I hope to do the 500 some time.
My wife is from Cullen on the Moray Firth so maybe we can combine it with a trip to see friends and relatives. It is a long trek from Oxon anyway.

We used to visit then go to the west coast most summers at one time. It gets steadily busier but the roads haven’t kept up everywhere IME.
B roads in Aberdeenshire are better than quite a few A roads around here but the west coast single track roads are a pita when there is more traffic.
Sponsored