DNADoc

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB S560e
Country flag
Gorgeous car congratulations! Unfortunately when cars become rolling computers it seems that it is impossible to complete beta testing before roll-out. As you are aware, there have already been several PCM upgrades and a recall for the sudden loss of power. When you think of it, how many different combinations of settings and parameters are possible when driving your 4S. So we early adopters are the final beta testers. Sometimes problems that are present for weeks mysteriously go away....My LTE was absent for almost a month...tried everything and suddenly one day all was well.

The other issue is that mechanics are not software engineers. They have limited capabilities in terms of trouble shooting PCM issues. As an example my dealer was ready to replace my entire PCM unit because my satellite radio wasn't working and fortunately I found the solution on this forum.

So my suggestion is to love your car (and there is a lot to love) but do not expect perfection regarding the PCM and Porsche connect. These are works in progress. And don't expect your Dealer's mechanic to be able solve all your porblems.

Buck
Sponsored

OP
OP
chenner

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Gorgeous car congratulations! Unfortunately when cars become rolling computers it seems that it is impossible to complete beta testing before roll-out. As you are aware, there have already been several PCM upgrades and a recall for the sudden loss of power. When you think of it, how many different combinations of settings and parameters are possible when driving your 4S. So we early adopters are the final beta testers. Sometimes problems that are present for weeks mysteriously go away....My LTE was absent for almost a month...tried everything and suddenly one day all was well.

The other issue is that mechanics are not software engineers. They have limited capabilities in terms of trouble shooting PCM issues. As an example my dealer was ready to replace my entire PCM unit because my satellite radio wasn't working and fortunately I found the solution on this forum.

So my suggestion is to love your car (and there is a lot to love) but do not expect perfection regarding the PCM and Porsche connect. These are works in progress. And don't expect your Dealer's mechanic to be able solve all your porblems.

Buck
Thanks for the advice. Trying to readjust my expectations.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Very nice car.

I'm 4 weeks into ownership myself, with about 1600 miles, and I have experienced every single glitch you have thus far.

I've noticed each time the glitches have happened, it's usually when I've gotten out of the car for a quick errand and have been away for just a few minutes where the car is locked and powered down. When I hop back in a few minutes later and the car powers back up, the error occurs.

Fortunately, in each instance, after the car rested for about 20ish minutes, all was back to normal.

OP
OP
chenner

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very nice car.

I'm 4 weeks into ownership myself, with about 1600 miles, and I have experienced every single glitch you have thus far.

I've noticed each time the glitches have happened, it's usually when I've gotten out of the car for a quick errand and have been away for just a few minutes where the car is locked and powered down. When I hop back in a few minutes later and the car powers back up, the error occurs.

Fortunately, in each instance, after the car rested for about 20ish minutes, all was back to normal.
Interesting observation and now that you mention it the same applies to me. The last problem of it not logging into my account is when I stopped to grab lunch. It was in an area that had poor cell reception so I'm thinking that had something to do with it. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Interesting observation and now that you mention it the same applies to me. The last problem of it not logging into my account is when I stopped to grab lunch. It was in an area that had poor cell reception so I'm thinking that had something to do with it. Unfortunately, the problem still persists.
Yes. When the same occurred to me, I was in an area of my city that is in the mountains with notoriously poor cell reception and my profile ID was just greyed out. I had popped in quickly to grab my daughter from a piano lesson and hadn't been away for more than 5 minutes.

Yan355

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 GTS, Cayenne, Audi A7
Country flag
The dealer's master tech worked for a week (a great guy), but since most of the issues (my take on it) are not at this time repairable, Porsche (told him) claims they are "normal". Funny since most were not there in the first few weeks after I purchased it. I also have videos of the Taycan engineers discussing the lengths they went through to insure the cabin was quiet/silent, and the AC noice and knocking noise is ever-present and pervasive, so clearly not "normal".
Car looks great bud - I agree with what you say on the glitches. having Prepared myself for some foibles our CT4S has not disappointed us :) :

- my wife was logged out of her account into ‘guest mode’ for no apparent reason
- Spotify randomly stops playing
- electric charging ports on occasion decide they can’t be bothered closing or only half close
- I drove through a 9 inch deep puddle after which the car started making some weird noises which turned out to be gravel that had been sucked into the electric motor cooling fans. The dealership cleaned them out but doesn’t exactly fill me full of confidence in the long term and makes a mockery of its soft road pretensions
- it generally doesn’t like to get wet with several sensors disrupted in heavy rain.

that all said - you know what I don’t really mind because every time I look at it I just think wow and then I drive it and that feeling is only further increased

such an amazing car - our 991 GTS now feels very unloved

I am hopeful that much of what afflicts us will be over time resolved either mechanically, via software updates or retro fitting parts to solve issues such as minor puddles ( still can’t really understand how they didnt figure that one out during the 10 million miles of testing )

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yesterday I had the same problem with the map and extended map views in the instrument cluster. There was just a black display where it should have been shown. The problem was resolved after holding the power button down to shut the car off and then turning it back on.

I'm still not able to log in with my Porsche Connect ID after about a week. Getting the red flashing SOS button so something is wrong with my connectivity. I also have a 2022. It's pretty annoying because each time I get in the car I have to go through the setup menus again. I've had a few other software glitches as well which you can see if you check on my post history like mixed up km/miles labels and tapping on my media favorites becoming unresponsive.

Hang in there and let's hope that these things are able to be resolved in the near future. Still loving my car and agree with your points.

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Picked up my car a week ago and just logged 1K miles on the odom. After a weekend day trip to Asheville, from North Georgia, I just returned from Nashville for business meetings and got to spend some quality seat time in the 4S.

Here are my thoughts on the car after a week:

The Good

- Car drives like an ICE. If you didn't know it was electric you'd think it was a high-end gas vehicle.
- The ride quality on this car is second to none. Even in "sport" mode you can feel the dampening decrease but it's still smooth over rough roads. One of my favorite attributes with the car.
- The acceleration is amazing. Sure it could be faster but it doesn't need to be. My wife still thinks that her Model Y performance is faster, and it might be, but the instant torque that only an EV can provide is still thrilling and practical. Driving in the mountains in Sport + is a ton of fun.
- The build quality of this car is phenomenal. It makes our Model Y feel like an economy car. This is truly a premium product.
- This is IMHO one of the best looking cars on the road today. Many other drives seem to agree.
- CarPlay is awesome. Especially after not having it on the Tesla. Mine connects within seconds of getting into the vehicle. On the two occasions that it did not it was easy to go into the "device" setting and select it.
- Plug n' Charge with EA is a nice feature and has worked 3 out of 3 times for me. It takes a couple of minutes to initiate the handshake but has, so far, been reliable for me. We'll see in a week when we drive down to Orlando with it.
- Insulated Glass is as good as I expected. It makes for an extremely quiet cabin. I'm actually able to use the phone connection in the car and have a conversation at 80mph.
- The Electric Sports Sound is much appreciated. It gives the car some character almost like a soul. I never turn it off as I appreciate the more visceral experience.

The Bad

- The 19" wheels look fugly on the Ice Grey Metallic. I went with the "free" wheels as I have 21" Vossen wheels on order in gloss black which will compliment my stealth PPF much better.
- The rear camera is awful as we all already know. I find myself having to switch between the two different modes and I still don't know how far I'm away from the curb. Thankfully surround view helps a bit and the car seems to stop itself if it thinks you're getting too close to the curb. But if I have to back up in a hurry it's too difficult to tell how far I am from the vehicles behind me.
- No auto-lock feature. I'm used to just walking away from the car and having it lock but now find myself having to walk back and hit the lock button because I forget. With my Connect app not working (see below) it's not something that I'm able to do remotely either now. Something to get used to.
- Trying to book a service appointment at the dealership (for the map glitch below) the first available date they have is in mid-January. I pressed them since it's a new car and they agreed to take me in sooner but don't have a courtesy car for me. I live 70 miles from the closest dealer so hopefully they can resolve this while I wait.
- The second day of ownership I received an email from Porsche that they removed my vehicle from my account. But after calling in, and waiting on hold for 45 minutes, the person on the other end was able to add it back onto my account and I was able to log back in. Shouldn't have happened in the first place but glad that it was fixed easily.

The Glitches

Glitches be crazy! I thought I was one of the lucky ones when I got my car as everything was working as it should. Well, that quickly changed...

- It was going to be cold in Nashville so I was looking forward to being able to "preheat" the vehicle so figured I didn't need to pack a jacket. Well, like some others after using an EA station (could be coincidence but maybe not) I lost the ability to connect to the car with the app. That was three days ago and it's still not working. So I can no longer pre-heat the cabin nor can I see what my SOC is. I even tried using the spare key when I got home but no dice.
- On the way to Nashville my maps disappeared from the instrument cluster. That's my favorite view but now when I select "map" or "extended map" it's just a blank screen. I popped by the dealer in Brentwood and they tried some quick things to fix it but couldn't get it to work.
- My XM radio went silent on the way home today. I can get to the screen and change the station but there's no sound. Thank god for Car Play though.
- When stopping to pick up lunch on the way home today. I was in a no signal area. Well after getting in the car it won't log me into my account anymore. My login ID is greyed out and I can only use "Guest". Haven't tried rebooting the PCM yet as I don't want to make it worse. Hope this resolves itself before my road trip to Orlando.

I love, love, love driving the car but have to say that these glitches are a bit of a let down. I'm the type of person who likes all my things working as they should. I knew going into this that there may be some glitches but didn't expect to encounter this many so quickly into ownership. In hindsight I would still have bought the car but for $150K it'd be really nice if things worked as they should or if there were clear fixes to frequent problems.

NOWQ5416.JPG

taycan1.jpg
great and fair an accurate summary. Agree on those wheels, I went Mission E in exterior colour which I love. Interesting surround view helps, I didn't but will option it next time. Re the app since the major update 6 months ago I can connect every time and preheat the car every day, seems random this issue, not sure what they did, but escalated to Porsche GB and they seemed to fix it via the dealer with some update as prior to that it was intermittent for sure. great looking colour BTW

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Beautiful car, I own the same model, same colour, and you are 100% right in all your comments. I suffer the same electronic glitches, but like the other bloke says, they do become features. And there is no other car I ever sat in or drove, which was as fun as this....

OP
OP
chenner

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just an update that my "map view" on the instrument cluster randomly returned today.

I still can't login but have a green SOS light and seem to have LTE so I'm hesitant to try a reboot in case it makes it worse. Hoping that it works again this week and that it doesn't affect the plug n' charge feature as I'll be doing a roadtrip later this week.

Superrat

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Crosss Turismo
Country flag
Picked up my car a week ago and just logged 1K miles on the odom. After a weekend day trip to Asheville, from North Georgia, I just returned from Nashville for business meetings and got to spend some quality seat time in the 4S.

Here are my thoughts on the car after a week:

The Good

- Car drives like an ICE. If you didn't know it was electric you'd think it was a high-end gas vehicle.
- The ride quality on this car is second to none. Even in "sport" mode you can feel the dampening decrease but it's still smooth over rough roads. One of my favorite attributes with the car.
- The acceleration is amazing. Sure it could be faster but it doesn't need to be. My wife still thinks that her Model Y performance is faster, and it might be, but the instant torque that only an EV can provide is still thrilling and practical. Driving in the mountains in Sport + is a ton of fun.
- The build quality of this car is phenomenal. It makes our Model Y feel like an economy car. This is truly a premium product.
- This is IMHO one of the best looking cars on the road today. Many other drives seem to agree.
- CarPlay is awesome. Especially after not having it on the Tesla. Mine connects within seconds of getting into the vehicle. On the two occasions that it did not it was easy to go into the "device" setting and select it.
- Plug n' Charge with EA is a nice feature and has worked 3 out of 3 times for me. It takes a couple of minutes to initiate the handshake but has, so far, been reliable for me. We'll see in a week when we drive down to Orlando with it.
- Insulated Glass is as good as I expected. It makes for an extremely quiet cabin. I'm actually able to use the phone connection in the car and have a conversation at 80mph.
- The Electric Sports Sound is much appreciated. It gives the car some character almost like a soul. I never turn it off as I appreciate the more visceral experience.

The Bad

- The 19" wheels look fugly on the Ice Grey Metallic. I went with the "free" wheels as I have 21" Vossen wheels on order in gloss black which will compliment my stealth PPF much better.
- The rear camera is awful as we all already know. I find myself having to switch between the two different modes and I still don't know how far I'm away from the curb. Thankfully surround view helps a bit and the car seems to stop itself if it thinks you're getting too close to the curb. But if I have to back up in a hurry it's too difficult to tell how far I am from the vehicles behind me.
- No auto-lock feature. I'm used to just walking away from the car and having it lock but now find myself having to walk back and hit the lock button because I forget. With my Connect app not working (see below) it's not something that I'm able to do remotely either now. Something to get used to.
- Trying to book a service appointment at the dealership (for the map glitch below) the first available date they have is in mid-January. I pressed them since it's a new car and they agreed to take me in sooner but don't have a courtesy car for me. I live 70 miles from the closest dealer so hopefully they can resolve this while I wait.
- The second day of ownership I received an email from Porsche that they removed my vehicle from my account. But after calling in, and waiting on hold for 45 minutes, the person on the other end was able to add it back onto my account and I was able to log back in. Shouldn't have happened in the first place but glad that it was fixed easily.

The Glitches

Glitches be crazy! I thought I was one of the lucky ones when I got my car as everything was working as it should. Well, that quickly changed...

- It was going to be cold in Nashville so I was looking forward to being able to "preheat" the vehicle so figured I didn't need to pack a jacket. Well, like some others after using an EA station (could be coincidence but maybe not) I lost the ability to connect to the car with the app. That was three days ago and it's still not working. So I can no longer pre-heat the cabin nor can I see what my SOC is. I even tried using the spare key when I got home but no dice.
- On the way to Nashville my maps disappeared from the instrument cluster. That's my favorite view but now when I select "map" or "extended map" it's just a blank screen. I popped by the dealer in Brentwood and they tried some quick things to fix it but couldn't get it to work.
- My XM radio went silent on the way home today. I can get to the screen and change the station but there's no sound. Thank god for Car Play though.
- When stopping to pick up lunch on the way home today. I was in a no signal area. Well after getting in the car it won't log me into my account anymore. My login ID is greyed out and I can only use "Guest". Haven't tried rebooting the PCM yet as I don't want to make it worse. Hope this resolves itself before my road trip to Orlando.

I love, love, love driving the car but have to say that these glitches are a bit of a let down. I'm the type of person who likes all my things working as they should. I knew going into this that there may be some glitches but didn't expect to encounter this many so quickly into ownership. In hindsight I would still have bought the car but for $150K it'd be really nice if things worked as they should or if there were clear fixes to frequent problems.

NOWQ5416.JPG

taycan1.jpg
Wow!! Your one of those weird guys that “likes everything working like it should” unlike the rest of society.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Wow!! Your one of those weird guys that “likes everything working like it should” unlike the rest of society.
Apparently people who expect everything to work are dinosaurs in today's world. Products are so complex today, that most things working is considered a success.

Chaz13

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS5 SB, Soon to be Taycan CT
Country flag
Getting slight anxiety here. Seeing all the problems people are having. Pick up my Black CT with 20’ Off-road wheels early Jan. Had to really convince the wife for us to go down the EV route. Hoping I’m not going to get a load of grief off her , “I told you so” etc.
She will be driving the car most and is not the most tech savvy person out there.
ie trying fixes, especially if out and about. Also don’t want her to be stranded alone or with the kids somewhere if the car gets a fault.

ab521

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan, CT4
Country flag
Getting slight anxiety here. Seeing all the problems people are having. Pick up my Black CT with 20’ Off-road wheels early Jan. Had to really convince the wife for us to go down the EV route. Hoping I’m not going to get a load of grief off her , “I told you so” etc.
She will be driving the car most and is not the most tech savvy person out there.
ie trying fixes, especially if out and about. Also don’t want her to be stranded alone or with the kids somewhere if the car gets a fault.
Your anxiety is somewhat warranted. After a month with our new 22CT, my wife is afraid to drive it, too many glitches. When you have kids, older parents with frail health, worrying about what will not work when you get into your car is the last thing you want to do when one of life’s many emergencies crop up, letting the car sit for 20 minutes is usually not a viable option. Hoping over time (short time) things will improve, if not, may have to move on to something else (would hate to do that, its been a long time since there wasn’t at least one Porsche in the garage)

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
As @ab521 pointed out, your are not entirely irrational to worry. Based on what I read, I would not get a Taycan for my wife at this time. IMO it seems like an early adopter car (full disclosure, I don't have one, waiting for an allocation since early this summer). I waited over 3 years and only after getting my first and second Model S before convincing my wife to switch to one, and even that was a little too early. I have heard things from her like "And you paid how much for this car?!?!" whenever the car would glitch out and/or require service visits (every Model S I've owned always required a few at the beginning - at least all software was usually fixed over the air and updates came often). She did come close on a couple of occasions to have me get rid of it (I have seen this happen with other Tesla enthusiast's wives).

The good news is that she has come around since, probably because after initial few service visits to work out production and experimental designs issues, the car didn't require much more service. That and probably because the software caught up with the now older hardware (Tesla had time to finish it, and it's no longer bleeding edge hardware on which they run Elon's latest brain fart experiments ). My wife is on her 2nd Model S right now. She still likes it, but her next car will probably be the EQS, or maybe Taycan CT if I'm happy with mine, provided of course that Porsche can actually sell me one before I get bored of waiting and buy something else. Model S is not even a consideration for me or her due to the only steering option being a yoke.
Sponsored