achaudh

First Name
Alok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, BMW 5 Series
Country flag
I read messages on this forum regularly. Enjoy the great insights everyone shares. I love Taycan but do not own one, yet. Been following it since it was Mission E and plan to replace my 2008 BMW 528xi with it in next few months. My other car is a 2016 Cayenne that I love. Taycan though is my dream car but I was disappointed to see Porsche increasing the prices when others are reducing the prices. Tesla reduced another $5k on Model S a few days ago (I like MS too but its body need a refresh). BMW i5 is due later this year and so is Audi A6 Electric as well. The options are growing and I am now torn between more expensive Taycan vs. these other options. Meschke 's comment on significant price increases, "We have a very good foundation with a very strong brand and a very strong customer base that gives us the power to increase prices in very challenging times and in an intelligent manner." to me sound like I am a fool that Porsche takes for granted. End of the day, its a depreciating asset.

Would appreciate expert views here as most of you own Taycan already. Price increase may help you as your car may be worth a little more now but for prospective buyers like me, IRA has removed the $7500 incentive and now higher price means I am looking at well over $10k for the same car. What are your all's thoughts?
Sponsored

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd pick up a nice used Taycan. Depreciation is finally starting to hit the Taycan (for a while it wasn't because of limited supply of cars), and there's no tax credit to make a new car more attractive. That wasn't the case last year, since a new Taycan after tax credit could be cheaper than a used example, or pretty similar in price

I highly doubt the A6 E-tron or BMW i5 will be available to purchase this year. They might be revealed by year end but you'd likely have to wait well into 2024 (probably 2H) to actually get one. Since they would be brand new models there's a good chance of a waitlist or markup as well. Model S is an option of course but as you mentioned is a bit long in the tooth and not quite at the same level in terms of build quality and materials.

Given you don't seem 100% sold on a Taycan you could also look into an Audi E Tron GT. I'm seeing lightly used 2022s easily available for ~$80-85k

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Would appreciate expert views here as most of you own Taycan already. Price increase may help you as your car may be worth a little more now but for prospective buyers like me, IRA has removed the $7500 incentive and now higher price means I am looking at well over $10k for the same car. What are your all's thoughts?
If I were looking for a Taycan right now I’d search the used market for something really close to what I would order. You’ll get a significant discount.

Marmolata

First Name
RJS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
If you are comparing the model S and Audi then suggestion is to test drive all three. See which you like best. You are comparing an ipad on tyres, and a glorified VW Passat, with a Taycan. 😎

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
Price increase is all around, especially in the premium/luxury segment. Tesla is going down with prices as moving out from the premium category (maybe never should be there) to the mid class mass product cars.
Our BMW i4 MS has been ordered in September, waiting time is still around a year, prices went up 3 times since ordered.
So others (premium/luxury) are not reducing but increasing prices too, out of Tesla that is moving with its prices to the segment (down) they should be categorized earlier.

Porsche is on its own segment, higher than BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, but lower than Ferrari Lamborghini, Maserati and other supercar brands. Tesla is out of the game totally.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I read messages on this forum regularly. Enjoy the great insights everyone shares. I love Taycan but do not own one, yet. Been following it since it was Mission E and plan to replace my 2008 BMW 528xi with it in next few months. My other car is a 2016 Cayenne that I love. Taycan though is my dream car but I was disappointed to see Porsche increasing the prices when others are reducing the prices. Tesla reduced another $5k on Model S a few days ago (I like MS too but its body need a refresh). BMW i5 is due later this year and so is Audi A6 Electric as well. The options are growing and I am now torn between more expensive Taycan vs. these other options. Meschke 's comment on significant price increases, "We have a very good foundation with a very strong brand and a very strong customer base that gives us the power to increase prices in very challenging times and in an intelligent manner." to me sound like I am a fool that Porsche takes for granted. End of the day, its a depreciating asset.

How are you going to obtain the next car?
Cash / loan / lease etc?

How long do you intend to keep it?

NuJerzPorsche

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Price increase is all around, especially in the premium/luxury segment. Tesla is going down with prices as moving out from the premium category (maybe never should be there) to the mid class mass product cars.
Our BMW i4 MS has been ordered in September, waiting time is still around a year, prices went up 3 times since ordered.
So others (premium/luxury) are not reducing but increasing prices too, out of Tesla that is moving with its prices to the segment (down) they should be categorized earlier.

Porsche is on its own segment, higher than BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lexus, but lower than Ferrari Lamborghini, Maserati and other supercar brands. Tesla is out of the game totally.
id rate Porsche higher than Maserati but I understand and agree with everything.

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Besides Tesla decreasing prices, which “others” are doing the same?

Paying 10k more for the same car? It’s not like I didn’t pay 10k more for my Tesla, the same car, before the price decrease. I also paid 15k more for my mclaren for the same car when they changed MY from 2022 to 2023 while I was waiting.

I am a cheapskate I only buy discounted stuff and I am regular Slickdealer since college. I used to buy cars at steep discount (BMW European delivery with ED invoice etc.) and only bought homes unsold for months so I could negotiate a better price (good old days). When it comes to cars in recent years I have no choice but to pay what they demand on new cars if I want to enjoy them. If you are so concerned about money and discounts, even on cars, maybe you should just get a Tesla and call it a day, or buy used.

Sometimes things are just what they are. You are not likely going to see Porsches decreasing prices any time soon or ever, unless you buy used. When the new refresh comes out, they’ll just demand even more.

TheSauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S
Country flag
Besides Tesla decreasing prices, which “others” are doing the same?

Paying 10k more for the same car? It’s not like I didn’t pay 10k more for my Tesla, the same car, before the price decrease. I also paid 15k more for my mclaren for the same car when they changed MY from 2022 to 2023 while I was waiting.

I am a cheapskate I only buy discounted stuff and I am regular Slickdealer since college. I used to buy cars at steep discount (BMW European delivery with ED invoice etc.) and only bought homes unsold for months so I could negotiate a better price (good old days). When it comes to cars in recent years I have no choice but to pay what they demand on new cars if I want to enjoy them. If you are so concerned about money and discounts, even on cars, maybe you should just get a Tesla and call it a day, or buy used.

Sometimes things are just what they are. You are not likely going to see Porsches decreasing prices any time soon or ever, unless you buy used. When the new refresh comes out, they’ll just demand even more.
I have never bought a car with less than 5% off msrp. First time I did that was my Taycan I just got, where I got a whopping $500 and tinting off for being a repeat customer to the dealer for the third time.
Sometimes just have to understand the market, or if you can’t accept it then move onto a different product that fits your principles

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
Absolutely no reason to buy new unless you like burning $. Great deals on used market, heck id even consider giving my 23’ mission e GTS spec up for right price.

Last edited:

DES_MX

First Name
DES_MX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan4 CT
Country flag
You might want to get the base taycan (RWD or 4 if going CT) - these will probably hold value a bit better. Compared to other brands though, all of them pretty much increased the pricing.
Well configured i4 M50 is close to €95K
EQE (the sportier ones EQE43 or EQE 500 and up) are 110K+ (once optioned decently)
e-tron GT 130K and up (sure you do get the equivalent of a 4S power / torque wise for the money).
So to me it was a no brainer to go Taycan4 (also have the i4 M50 as 2nd car), bought both before price increases and heavily discouned (high single digits %), with all the options it came to €112K which is crazy good value

bxwatso

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT
Country flag
I have ridden in a few Teslas. In my view, the fit and finish as well as the ride are pretty rough. I would not compare a Tesla to a Taycan because I wouldn't have a Tesla under any circumstance (maybe if free).

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Given that I have the Cross Turismo, I don’t consider that this model has any competition. Even the sedan, which has a few other brands that are close to being in-family from a competition standpoint, separates itself in build/driving quality. Given this, it’s hard to compare price at this time. I believe true competition is about 3-5 years away and some of that will come from Porsche itself with the Panamera (god willing) 🙏.

OP
OP

achaudh

First Name
Alok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, BMW 5 Series
Country flag
Honestly, if I was in your shoes, I'd pick up a nice used Taycan. Depreciation is finally starting to hit the Taycan (for a while it wasn't because of limited supply of cars), and there's no tax credit to make a new car more attractive. That wasn't the case last year, since a new Taycan after tax credit could be cheaper than a used example, or pretty similar in price

I highly doubt the A6 E-tron or BMW i5 will be available to purchase this year. They might be revealed by year end but you'd likely have to wait well into 2024 (probably 2H) to actually get one. Since they would be brand new models there's a good chance of a waitlist or markup as well. Model S is an option of course but as you mentioned is a bit long in the tooth and not quite at the same level in terms of build quality and materials.

Given you don't seem 100% sold on a Taycan you could also look into an Audi E Tron GT. I'm seeing lightly used 2022s easily available for ~$80-85k
Agree with your comments about used Taycan. Have been looking at those. Test drove an ETron GT and liked it but Taycan is special. :)
Sponsored